Random Banter

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
IF I remember my conversions correctly, out here it would be 21:50 GBP for a pack of 20.
Holy shit! That is so fucked up.

I had to look that up for myself to verify. The below data is in USD.

Current conversion rates:
1 USD = 1.53 AUD = 0.78 GBP = 0.92 EUR

1722202910696.png

1722202964768.png

Vietnam looks favorable. :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Howdy!

Sorry I disappeared for a week but I was in Western PA and lacked good internet access. It was the annual Boardgaming Championships I attend every year. So far just work and getting my place back up - next trip is to the UK in December.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Howdy!

Sorry I disappeared for a week but I was in Western PA and lacked good internet access. It was the annual Boardgaming Championships I attend every year. So far just work and getting my place back up - next trip is to the UK in December.
What did you play Joe?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I played in a bunch of games you probably are unfamiliar with. These include Arcs, Fire in the Lake, Vijayanagara, A Gest of Robin Hood, Atlantic Storm, Liftoff, SkyJo, Arracourt and more. You can look them up on Boardgamegeek. It was a lot of fun - over 20 games played in total. And I won a 1st place in one:

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpeg
    IMG_0412.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 17

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I played in a bunch of games you probably are unfamiliar with. These include Arcs, Fire in the Lake, Vijayanagara, A Gest of Robin Hood, Atlantic Storm, Liftoff, SkyJo, Arracourt and more. You can look them up on Boardgamegeek. It was a lot of fun - over 20 games played in total. And I won a 1st place in one:
Congrats dude!!
Arracout I have heard of, but never played. So this is more of a "modern" gaming convention than a classic boardgame convention? My last gaming convention was in 1996, (RPG, not boardgames) Played 8 Games over the 2 days, took home 6 awards for best character representation (the look on my older brothers team was frigging classic!!) My boardgame knowledge is more deeply rooted in the classics. This is one you might like:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3966/the-succession-wars
Of course my gaming history did not end in '96, but it has ALWAYS been more geared towards RPG's, which is why I probably like Diplomacy so much as a game
Gaming, at least boardgaming (and card games) always brings out the more....... technical sides of my personality, and that side can be pretty ruthless. I can have fun with it, but it is not my prefered way of thinking. I much prefer the over the top showmanship and characterization of RPG's.
Congrat's again though dude, Never loose the love for what inspires you, and I know for all these years, boardgames have been a passion of yours!!

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Holy shit! That is so fucked up.

I had to look that up for myself to verify. The below data is in USD.

Current conversion rates:
1 USD = 1.53 AUD = 0.78 GBP = 0.92 EUR

View attachment 35868

View attachment 35869

Vietnam looks favorable. :D
You should see how much alcohol costs here too it's similar to Cigarettes where it goes up twice every year. I don't drink alcohol or consumer cigarettes

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I work for Coles, and let me tell you, they are NOT the same employer that they were 20 years ago when I started, They are actually proud of gutting thier workforce now. In 1 year I have seen 4 grocery managers and 4 dairy managers quit, That may just be my current boss, but I doubt it. He is actually proud of gutting the team by almost 35%
Then they wonder why shit does not get done.There are a raft of issues besides this that companies should get fucked for to be honest.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I work for Coles, and let me tell you, they are NOT the same employer that they were 20 years ago when I started, They are actually proud of gutting thier workforce now. In 1 year I have seen 4 grocery managers and 4 dairy managers quit, That may just be my current boss, but I doubt it. He is actually proud of gutting the team by almost 35%
Then they wonder why shit does not get done.There are a raft of issues besides this that companies should get fucked for to be honest.
Yeah it's across the board. You know about work from home laws I wonder what is a legal definition of a breakdown equipment and Stand down laws? I have checked both the EBA and the laws behind Wages Theft and Fairwork laws and no one can give me a clear answer and the answer they provide in the legislation is when the equipment breakdown due to Natural disaster and something that's outside the employer's control but what if it's something outside the control of the employee.

Temporary scale down X may close down all or part of its operations for the purpose of allowing annual leave to all or the majority of the Employees concerned, provided that: (a) Where practicable, X will give at least one month's notice of the commencement date and duration of the close-down; (b) X may close down for one or two periods; (c) Employees who have accrued sufficient leave to cover the period of the close-down, will be allowed annual leave; and (d) Employees who have not accrued sufficient leave to cover part or all of the close-down, will be allowed paid annual leave for the period for which they have accrued sufficient leave and given unpaid leave for the remainder of the close-down X may stand down an Employee without pay in the event that the Employee cannot be usefully employed due to strike, breakdown of equipment or support systems or any cause which X cannot reasonably be held responsible for

Wherever possible, X will give Employees as much notice as is possible in the circumstances of a suspension, temporary scale down or stand down.
Ummm, we don't get told until the last minute.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What you are quoting is essentially Legalese bullshit to deny accountability, and it's been implemented in damn near every "democratic" nation in the world. (as they are owned by corps, or at least thier power structures are) The only answer, truly to it is the workforce simply walks out and lets the company collapse. Government refuses to be held accountable, compainies refuse to be accountable, (till they get sued) The problem is, there are ALWAYS enough frightened people to maintain the system.
Employers can essentially say "stand down or quit" at a moment's notice, Employee's however are expected to "give notice"
The system sucks more dicks than a 20 dollar hooker, let's just be honest on that one.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Congrats dude!!
Arracout I have heard of, but never played. So this is more of a "modern" gaming convention than a classic boardgame convention? My last gaming convention was in 1996, (RPG, not boardgames) Played 8 Games over the 2 days, took home 6 awards for best character representation (the look on my older brothers team was frigging classic!!) My boardgame knowledge is more deeply rooted in the classics. This is one you might like:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3966/the-succession-wars
Of course my gaming history did not end in '96, but it has ALWAYS been more geared towards RPG's, which is why I probably like Diplomacy so much as a game
Gaming, at least boardgaming (and card games) always brings out the more....... technical sides of my personality, and that side can be pretty ruthless. I can have fun with it, but it is not my prefered way of thinking. I much prefer the over the top showmanship and characterization of RPG's.
Congrat's again though dude, Never loose the love for what inspires you, and I know for all these years, boardgames have been a passion of yours!!
All of what I listed are boardgames. For example Arracourt covers the 1944 German attack on Combat Command A of the US 4th Armored division. Total US victory and the battle where Creighton Abrams made his proverbial bones.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
What you are quoting is essentially Legalese bullshit to deny accountability, and it's been implemented in damn near every "democratic" nation in the world. (as they are owned by corps, or at least thier power structures are) The only answer, truly to it is the workforce simply walks out and lets the company collapse. Government refuses to be held accountable, compainies refuse to be accountable, (till they get sued) The problem is, there are ALWAYS enough frightened people to maintain the system.
Employers can essentially say "stand down or quit" at a moment's notice, Employee's however are expected to "give notice"
The system sucks more dicks than a 20 dollar hooker, let's just be honest on that one.
You would think people would come up with better rhetoric and certain clauses which could be interpretated with more flexibility and certain clauses which would be iron clad but nope they've done a lazy and all they have done is taken the side of the employer.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You would think people would come up with better rhetoric and certain clauses which could be interpretated with more flexibility and certain clauses which would be iron clad but nope they've done a lazy and all they have done is taken the side of the employer.
They take the side of Power, no more, no less.
Right or wrong is not an issue for these people, it's money and power, that is all they care about.
Could you imagine if all the checkout workers and nightfill people walked out on Coles and Woolies? Just for a week?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
You should see how much alcohol costs here too it's similar to Cigarettes where it goes up twice every year. I don't drink alcohol or consumer cigarettes

Damn. I thought UK was already expensive with the price of a pint. That list though only shows prices in large cities like London and Amsterdam. I assure that in the rest of the UK the price of a pint is not nearly the same as is indicated on that list for London. A pint in a pub would generally set you back about 5 pounds. Maybe 4,50, or maybe even less in some places, but obviously also sometimes more.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
They take the side of Power, no more, no less.
Right or wrong is not an issue for these people, it's money and power, that is all they care about.
Could you imagine if all the checkout workers and nightfill people walked out on Coles and Woolies? Just for a week?
Management don't care. They would replace them with robots just like they have at 101 Collins St in Melbourne. Oh wait they already have lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLw2n2VwoM

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@blondematthew/video/7273649299244764418

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Management don't care. They would replace them with robots just like they have at 101 Collins St in Melbourne. Oh wait they already have lol

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLw2n2VwoM

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@blondematthew/video/7273649299244764418

All the delivery functions are going to be replaced by automation, In Vic and Qld they already have, Syd is coming in about a month. I mean, you will still have drivers, but the warehouse functions will be automated. "online ordering" will all come from a central point, and in a way, I'm not sad about that (they rip my shelves to shit and don't clean up behind themselves)
What I think they have not considered is that there is a.......... "swinging point" of what can, and what cannot be automated. You can replace the cleaners with bots, but they will not be as good, but as far as the front end and back end of something like a grocery store......... do it at your own risk. Again, if we all walked out for just a week, they would collapse. There is a lot of truth to the statement "power of the people" just people are scared to use it INDIVIDUALLY, cause they tend to get smacked down using it that way. I'm an Idealist though I see what could happen, but I know it never will. Companies create fear of loss in the workers, and that's hard to overcome.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
All the delivery functions are going to be replaced by automation, In Vic and Qld they already have, Syd is coming in about a month. I mean, you will still have drivers, but the warehouse functions will be automated. "online ordering" will all come from a central point, and in a way, I'm not sad about that (they rip my shelves to shit and don't clean up behind themselves)
What I think they have not considered is that there is a.......... "swinging point" of what can, and what cannot be automated. You can replace the cleaners with bots, but they will not be as good, but as far as the front end and back end of something like a grocery store......... do it at your own risk. Again, if we all walked out for just a week, they would collapse. There is a lot of truth to the statement "power of the people" just people are scared to use it INDIVIDUALLY, cause they tend to get smacked down using it that way. I'm an Idealist though I see what could happen, but I know it never will. Companies create fear of loss in the workers, and that's hard to overcome.
I personally don't like how everything will be automated. I think human intervention or mistakes are good. No doubt that the robots will require regular maintenance. I put in a really bad complaint about it and we've had about 10 different team leaders leave my team and hardly anyone comes into the office. I am not sure what to do and my boss has told she will also resign because she is being pressured by upper management.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That would increase the gossip and might makes things worse. They've already offshored jobs to the Philippines. What kind of sabotage can I do? I can hack into their system.
Place tripwires for the robots.