How will SGU end?

Odyssey

GateFans Noob
Yep. SGC didn't have any ships that could traverse the distance from Earth to the Pegasus galaxy in a matter of weeks, ships that could easily transport any and all of them right back to Earth where...

This was not the case when they first made it to Atlantis. They had no idea if they would get home, other then ZPM!.

If they had the means to get home then tell me why was it that the Atlantis team went through the stargate to find ZPM's? Why did they go in search of allies if they were going home in a matter of weeks, months?. No, they didn't know they would get home in that amount of time!. Same with SGU...

Atlantis = ship + civilians + military + no hope of getting home
Destiny = ship + civilians + military + no hope of getting home...

both same at start yet Atlantis had better ratings, had humour and all the qualities of SG1.

Like with Captain Hanson from The First Commandment?

Or Maybourne?

Or Samuels?

Not everyone who's brought into the program is what we would consider exemplary individuals.....

Yeah well how unlucky was SGC then, i mean a whole damn base full of the wrong people...odds on that!.

Watch a few re runs of SG1 and SGA and see the military and personnel on either show..SG1 and SGA military and civilians are far more realistic then what you see on SGU...

calibos

GateFans Member
calibos,

Welcome to the forum. It’s nice to have a little infusion of opposing viewpoint every now and then.

Thanks, it's part of the reason I arrived.

I participate on other SGU sites where, big surprise, the vast majority of folks are wholly supportive of it.

Upon learning of SGUS I was puzzled and eager to see some opposing viewpoints.

I’m not going to rehash the discussion that you’ve already had thus far but I do want to clarify a few things.
• The reason that so many of us speak about the lack of realism with SGU is because Malozzi, Wright, Cooper, many posters at Gateworld and many posters at Syfy have told us, time and time again, how realistic SGU is. Thus, this has become a very large point of contention with many of us. If, being someone that likes SGU, you are able to see (and admit) that it is not realistic then you’ve earned some points in my book.

Well, taking a step back it's a sci fi show, a militaristic sci fi show.

Big scheme of things it's a show about a wormhole that can take folks milllllllllions of miles away to planets that, amazingly, look like Vancouver BC where aliens who, oddly enough, speak english and...

Well, you get the point.

It's not realistic. It's tv.

It's an attempt to BE more 'realistic' but whether or not it's been successful I can't say.

They're on a spaceship. It's darker, 'grittier', whatever...but it's not realistic.

I like it but, nope, not realistic.

If they're saying that I'd have to disagree with them.

• When many people state that SGU is not Stargate they are speaking much more on a philosophical/emotional level than they are on a strictly material one (although for many the material aspects come into play as well). Too often any discussion on this topic immediately goes to the material and everything becomes about the use of the stargate, about technologies, etc while the philosophical is completely left on the roadside. Personally, I don’t care if something retains the fundamental ‘feel’ of its predecessor shows, I only care that it is well done. This is why I don’t like SGU, because it is very poorly crafted, especially the writing.
• While being radically different from its predecessors isn’t necessarily a bad thing it is also not necessarily a good thing either. Perhaps I’m misinterpreting your meaning, but the number of times you’ve touched upon this it seems like you’re saying that because these other shows were different from their source material and were good then so is SGU?

What I'm getting at and trying to convey is 'You cannot be ashamed of your history'.

Whether we like it (like me!) or hate it (like you!) it's a part of the franchise.

You don't have to like it but, goddammit, there was a Stargate cartoon called Stargate Infinity that is a part of the franchise.

I hated it but Voyager is a part of Star Trek.

No one is saying that people have to like SGU....but they DO have to accept that, for good or ill, this IS where the franchise is at now.

And for a lot of folks who have not been around for 15+ years of SG this is their introduction. For those folks this IS Stargate.

My introduction was through the film. For others it was SG1. For others it was SGA and for some poor souls it was SG: Infinity.

All of it is a part of the overall tapestry that is SG.

The first two items may aid you in better understanding where a lot of us are coming from on those issues. The third item is just to keep things in balanced perspective.

Again, welcome to the forum. I hope that you find some satisfying discussion/debate.

Regards,
Dave

Many thanks. Looking forward to it.

calibos

GateFans Member
This was not the case when they first made it to Atlantis. They had no idea if they would get home, other then ZPM!.

If they had the means to get home then tell me why was it that the Atlantis team went through the stargate to find ZPM's? Why did they go in search of allies if they were going home in a matter of weeks, months?. No, they didn't know they would get home in that amount of time!. Same with SGU...

No, it's because that would make for a boring show.

With SGU they could fix EVERYTHING by having McKay and Carter use the stones to visit.

It makes sense given the characters and their capabilities.....but it would make for bad tv.

Atlantis = ship + civilians + military + no hope of getting home
Destiny = ship + civilians + military + no hope of getting home...

both same at start yet Atlantis had better ratings, had humour and all the qualities of SG1.
Inaccurate. SGA they all knew they could go home. It was only early on that they didn't know what would happen.

Yeah well how unlucky was SGC then, i mean a whole damn base full of the wrong people...odds on that!.

Watch a few re runs of SG1 and SGA and see the military and personnel on either show..SG1 and SGA military and civilians are far more realistic then what you see on SGU...
Again, like Hanson....Maybourne.....Samuels.....

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Playing with the troll!

So the Star Trek elements of exploration and traveling into the unknown were retained HOW on a space station, lol?

SGU: Stories and characters make heavy use of the 'Lore' and technology employed in SG1 and SGA.

<snipped for lack of intellectual content!>

they don't even have the freaking "lore" of stargate correct...
Rush: this ship is thousands of years old....WRONG!!! HUGE FAIL THERE!!! IT'S MILLIONS of years old...so much for staying with stargate "lore".

E.Vac.U.Ation.

It was an emergency.

Besides, who do you think cleans bathrooms/floors/prepares food in mess halls/menial labor in govt. facilities and bases?

Civilians do it. Civilians with security clearances.

It's the direction that the creators of SG1 have deemed is the right one for the franchise to go.

Different situations. They're stuck on the other side of the Universe and, in their minds, they're more than likely going to die a horrific death.

Not a lot of chances for humor when you're s.o.l. like that.

It's their banner, they can drape it over any show they wish to.

If they call it SG it is, without a shadow of a doubt, actually SG.

'Lower ratings' do NOT = 'Poor ratings'.

It could have done better, sure, but it didn't do terribly.

On a military base taht is what the enlisted personnel do!

oh babe if you don't think those ratings are poor....well get a clue! ;) I don't mind your ageist commments...but be warned...I will not change your diapers when the "big kids" are mean to you and you piss your pants! ;)

calibos

GateFans Member
they don't even have the freaking "lore" of stargate correct...
Rush: this ship is thousands of years old....WRONG!!! HUBE FAIL THERE!!! IT'S MILLIONS of years old...so much for staying with stargate "lore".

Really? It's a 'hube' fail? :D

And of course Rush couldn't be lying, right, that'd be crazy......:rolleyes:

On a military base taht is what the enlisted personnel do!

Wrong.

I've lived on military bases, have you?

derp derp derp....

Ummm...what in the WORLD does that have to do with getting me a sandwich?

(pats g'ma on the behind....)

Now get in there and get me a ham'n'swiss sammich! :laughing:

Odyssey

GateFans Noob

With SGU they could fix EVERYTHING by having McKay and Carter use the stones to visit.

It makes sense given the characters and their capabilities.....but it would make for bad tv.

Inaccurate. SGA they all knew they could go home. It was only early on that they didn't know what would happen.

Again, like Hanson....Maybourne.....Samuels.....

It makes sense given the characters and their capabilities.....but it would make for bad tv

That side steps my original point. They at begging of the series did not know if they would get home UNLESS they found a ZPM and there was no guarantee on them ever finding one.

There is a small chance they might be able to get home from Destiny if they had the power to gate back home etc or use alien tech to meet their goals. So in retrospect they are similar yet funny that they are bringing Mckay over in a camo right? Come to "fix everything maybe?"

calibos

GateFans Member
That side steps my original point. They at begging of the series did not know if they would get home UNLESS they found a ZPM and there was no guarantee on them ever finding one.

At first.

But for the most part, throughout the show, they knew that they could be rescued pretty easily by using those ships.

edit: And it's not even 'rescued', all they would have to do is say 'yep, I want to go home....' and they could go back.

There is a small chance they might be able to get home from Destiny if they had the power to gate back home etc or use alien tech to meet their goals. So in retrospect they are similar yet funny that they are bringing Mckay over in a camo right? Come to "fix everything maybe?"
We don't know in what capacity McKay will be used, we're going to tune in and see during season 2.

Odyssey

GateFans Noob
At first.

But for the most part, throughout the show, they knew that they could be rescued pretty easily by using those ships.

We don't know in what capacity McKay will be used, we're going to tune in and see during season 2.

Yeah for the most part they knew they could be rescued but not at the begging. My original point was at the begging. Same with Destiny - right now they don't know if they can get home but it was tried but they didnt have the power or if memory serves me correctly it would have destroyed the ship?

So with that in mind they MIGHT and they concede to this, they might be able to get home. Same was with Atlantis but with SGA they had the humour which was my point to begin with. At the begging of SGA they had action, humour, mystery, drama and exploration..all that makes SG (in my mind) great. SGU does not share the same qualities and the ratings reflect this.

Now in SGU they have very little, so be it, dry humour (and it's a tiny amount).

calibos

GateFans Member
Which is what sgu will be getting after this season, much like its DVD sales

Wait....let me get this straight.....you mean to tell me that people who buy DVD's prefer to have full seasons rather than b.s. half seasons?

Hold up...let me....let me wrap my head around this....you mean to say that fans don't want to drop $25 to $35 a pop for TEN episodes of SGU....twice.....and instead are opting to wait until such point that they release the entire season for the same price they would shell out for that half season?

Weird.

calibos

GateFans Member
Yeah for the most part they knew they could be rescued but not at the begging. My original point was at the begging. Same with Destiny - right now they don't know if they can get home but it was tried but they didnt have the power or if memory serves me correctly it would have destroyed the ship?

So with that in mind they MIGHT and they concede to this, they might be able to get home. Same was with Atlantis but with SGA they had the humour which was my point to begin with. At the begging of SGA they had action, humour, mystery, drama and exploration..all that makes SG (in my mind) great. SGU does not share the same qualities and the ratings reflect this.

Now in SGU they have very little, so be it, dry humour (and it's a tiny amount).

Again, how much more humor would be required for you to be satisfied?

A better question, which show had a more appropriate level of humor, SG1 or SGA?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
At first.

edit: And it's not even 'rescued', all they would have to do is say 'yep, I want to go home....' and they could go back.

Well you will be tuning in to see it, I on the otherhand will not. Mckay is my fave character of well years, but i do not want to see him on the Destiny - personal prefernece.

calibos

GateFans Member
If the show was that good you would buy it regardless. Using excuses to not buy it is a weak cover up that you think that the show actually does suck.

You're right, I would definitely spend MORE money on something I don't want when I can wait a few months and get what I ACTUALLY want for a better price.

Wait...no....that would be stupid.

calibos

GateFans Member
Well you will be tuning in to see it, I on the otherhand will not. Mckay is my fave character of well years, but i do not want to see him on the Destiny - personal prefernece.

I don't know how he's going to mesh with the characters/tone of SGU. Jack fit in better than I expected in Subversion, I'm hoping that we'll McKay handled just as well.

I'm just excited to see him as McKay again.

calibos

GateFans Member
There are bound to be a load of copies in pound land or the dollar store from the leftovers that didn't sell

I know, it's SO WEIRD that people who are fans of this show would prefer to wait to get the higher quality, lower priced whole season release instead of spending twice as much on half seasons.

It's mind-boggling.

UxmalTrekker

K'inich Yax K'uk'Mo'
What I'm getting at and trying to convey is 'You cannot be ashamed of your history'.

Whether we like it (like me!) or hate it (like you!) it's a part of the franchise.

You don't have to like it but, goddammit, there was a Stargate cartoon called Stargate Infinity that is a part of the franchise.

I hated it but Voyager is a part of Star Trek.

No one is saying that people have to like SGU....but they DO have to accept that, for good or ill, this IS where the franchise is at now.

And for a lot of folks who have not been around for 15+ years of SG this is their introduction. For those folks this IS Stargate.

My introduction was through the film. For others it was SG1. For others it was SGA and for some poor souls it was SG: Infinity.

All of it is a part of the overall tapestry that is SG.

calibos,

I don’t believe that anyone is suggesting that it’s not a part of the franchise, which is where your answer made me think you’re coming from on this point. I think we can all agree that SGU is the current iteration of the Stargate franchise.

Where many people are having a problem is with the ‘feel’ of the program, with those philosophical and emotional elements/aspects that infuse the heart of a show and give it a very distinctive personality. While you may personally perceive no difference in that distinctive Stargate personality where SGU is concerned, a lot of people here do. To many people here SGU, in comparison to SG-1/SGA, is akin to a frontal lobotomy; a complete change in the tangible and intangible philosophical and emotional aspects of the franchise and not just a makeover/update/addition in order to tell a new story. This complete change of fundamental personality is, I believe, what is the real crux of the issue.

Regards,
Dave

calibos

GateFans Member
Well now thats not stricktly true as sga is still on tv in reruns and is still being seen so not zero viewers then.

Yeah, but SGA is done, SGU isn't.

I'll always enjoy my Atlantis box sets but for current SG I check out SGU Friday nights.