How will SGU end?

Odyssey

GateFans Noob
Hey, i been thinking of it for awhile and i have searched the forums for a post that shares this question. So far i can't find one (my apologies if one exists in which case remove this one please :) ).

So - how do you think SGU will end? Will it go past season 2 and just make it to 3? Or do you think Season 2 will re-ramp the show?

I thought out of history sake if we all post our predictions and if they come true we can look back and see who came the closest?

My thoughts on it is SGU will end at Season 3-5 no further then 5 seasons and i think season 4 is pushing it.

So what you think?

calibos

GateFans Member
I doubt there will be any sort of revamp. I imagine that it will last at least four seasons, hopefully it sticks around for a long, long time.

Odyssey

GateFans Noob
I doubt there will be any sort of revamp. I imagine that it will last at least four seasons, hopefully it sticks around for a long, long time.

Longer it lasts the more it insults the very name it shares. On the plus side the longer it lasts the more amusement and distaste we will get from it.

My only hope is when SGU ends it don't take the Stargate Franchise with it...that day will be a sad one.

I've missed seeing Stargate on my TV...still waiting for a Stargate show to follow on from SGA :(

calibos

GateFans Member
Longer it lasts the more it insults the very name it shares. On the plus side the longer it lasts the more amusement and distaste we will get from it.

My only hope is when SGU ends it don't take the Stargate Franchise with it...that day will be a sad one.

I've missed seeing Stargate on my TV...still waiting for a Stargate show to follow on from SGA :(

It's there, it's just a direction you don't enjoy.

Me? I enjoy Star Trek as well and was more than a bit mortified to hear a producer (writer? Not sure who it was) mention in the special features on the new Star Trek film DVD that they were going to take Star Trek and 'make it cool'.

No, dumbass, it was already 'cool'. What they did was just hit a big, cosmic re-set button in an attempt to breathe life into the franchise and prepare it for a new generation of fans.

Whether I like the new direction or not it is most definitely Star Trek though.

The same holds true for Stargate. You have fond memories of how it used to be, what SG was during SG1's run and Atlantis....but both those shows are gone.

The new SG, SGU, doesn't jibe with what you consider SG but it most certainly is a SG show.

http://stargate.mgm.com/

See?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
A new Moron?

Me? I enjoy Star Trek as well and was more than a bit mortified to hear a producer (writer? Not sure who it was) mention in the special features on the new Star Trek film DVD that they were going to take Star Trek and 'make it cool'.

No, dumbass, it was already 'cool'. What they did was just hit a big, cosmic re-set button in an attempt to breathe life into the franchise and prepare it for a new generation of fans.

The same holds true for Stargate. You have fond memories of how it used to be, what SG was during SG1's run and Atlantis....but both those shows are gone.

The new SG, SGU, doesn't jibe with what you consider SG but it most certainly is a SG show.

See?

well moron for it to be STARGATE it has to use the freaking STARGATE!!! :rolleyes:

this show is a horrible wet dream of TPTB...it's a mix of all the bad elements of BSG, 90210, Voyager, Lost in space and the last starfighter to name just a few.

This show will die the death of a thousand groans during season 2. i will even go so far as to predict it won't last the whole season...Once V is back...sgu will wash down the drain like the pool of goo it is! ;)

calibos

GateFans Member
well moron for it to be STARGATE it has to use the freaking STARGATE!!!

Right.....the gate they used to get to Destiny, the gate they use frequently to go from planet to planet.....

The gate they use all the time on the show, remember?

Or are you someone who hates the show without ever actually having seen it? :rolleyes:

This show will die the death of a thousand groans during season 2. i will even go so far as to predict it won't last the whole season...Once V is back...sgu will wash down the drain like the pool of goo it is!

Probably not. We'll see but I imagine SGU will be around for a good, long while.

Odyssey

GateFans Noob

See?

I respect your view on the subject but it's not only a new direction it is more like a whole new show.

There is a part about this in the SGU'S News paper (explains alot better then me why SGU is not Stargate as such). They spend more time on the ship then exploring. Instead of exploring they are over doing the drama on the charters, the alien interactions and so fourth.

A new direction would have been to use the format of Stargate and build upon it, yeah bring out the "evils" in people and show the darker side of the universe etc. However, the direction they have gone with is not what i (in my view) anything remotely "Scifi"...which Stargate is meant to be about.

A new direction would be original but it's not, its just aload of other shows mixed in with the Stargate name, its props etc and they have used the parts from the others shows to silence the Stargate format.

SG1 and Atlantis stuck to the scifi format. There was drama in these two shows but it was not the main focus. It came together drama, scifi and mystery which made it so great.

They didn't need a new direction SGA had very good ratings, better then SGU has had and will ever have. The fact is they tried something new and they failed. Everyday that show airs more and more and more of "Stargate" dies.

Sure if BSG, Voyager, 90210 and tiny bit of stargate props is what you want then be it your choice but i prefer Stargate not this bad copy of it.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
playing with the troll!

Right.....the gate they used to get to Destiny, the gate they use frequently to go from planet to planet.....

The gate they use all the time on the show, remember?

Or are you someone who hates the show without ever actually having seen it? :rolleyes:

Probably not. We'll see but I imagine SGU will be around for a good, long while.

ALL the time???? ooookaaaay...you are obviously smoking something when you watch the show...;)

you can IMAGINE all you wish...but the ratings say it will be lucky to last past the mid-season of season 2. ;)

Odyssey

GateFans Noob
I respect your view on the subject but it's not only a new direction it is more like a whole new show.

There is a part about this in the SGU'S News paper (explains alot better then me why SGU is not Stargate as such). They spend more time on the ship then exploring. Instead of exploring they are over doing the drama on the charters, the alien interactions and so fourth.

A new direction would have been to use the format of Stargate and build upon it, yeah bring out the "evils" in people and show the darker side of the universe etc. However, the direction they have gone with is not what i (in my view) anything remotely "Scifi"...which Stargate is meant to be about.

A new direction would be original but it's not, its just aload of other shows mixed in with the Stargate name, its props etc and they have used the parts from the others shows to silence the Stargate format.

SG1 and Atlantis stuck to the scifi format. There was drama in these two shows but it was not the main focus. It came together drama, scifi and mystery which made it so great.

They didn't need a new direction SGA had very good ratings, better then SGU has had and will ever have. The fact is they tried something new and they failed. Everyday that show airs more and more and more of "Stargate" dies.

Sure if BSG, Voyager, 90210 and tiny bit of stargate props is what you want then be it your choice but i prefer Stargate not this bad copy of it.

Oh sorry my bad..i forgot HUMOUR...without that then Stargate is not as fun. Both SGA and SG1 had lots of humour..

calibos

GateFans Member

That's a perfectly valid point but I would compare it to the radical shift that was taken with DS9.

A Star TREK program limited to a space station? It sounded strange but, imho at least, became one of the more significant programs of the franchise.

That's not to say that SGU will become as significant as DS9 or will ever reach the level of quality DS9 had but it's just another way of looking at it.

It's not a question of 'needing' a new direction. They're the stewards of the franchise, they have a much, much better notion of what the franchise 'needs', not you or I.

That's not to say that the choices they make are wise ones, that doesn't mean that they aren't going to make mistakes but it does mean that, for good or ill, what they're doing is, whether we agree or not, what they feel is the best thing to keep SG alive and thriving.

To put it into perspective I have a friend who despises SGA because it wasn't a 'real' SG show.

They weren't fighting the Gou'ald, they weren't disposing of false gods, they were fighting lame space vampires in bdsm gear.

So to him SGA wasn't a 'real' SG show. But I also directed him to MGM's SG page to reassure him that, yep, SGA is a 'real' SG show, just like SGU is.

calibos

GateFans Member
Oh sorry my bad..i forgot HUMOUR...without that then Stargate is not as fun. Both SGA and SG1 had lots of humour..

Humor is an aspect that I loved in SG1 and SGA, it was something that set the franchise apart from others and, imho, made it better in a lot of ways. They were able to have dramatic, action packed episodes with characters that were funny as hell.

To be fair to the characters on the Destiny.....they're all pretty certain that....yep, they're probably all going to die a billion light years from home.

Whether in the cold vacuum of space, starvation, being eaten alive, captured and killed by the 'blueberry' aliens, the Lucian Alliance, etc.....it's not a situation that inspires a lot of joking around.

calibos

GateFans Member
ALL the time???? ooookaaaay...you are obviously smoking something when you watch the show...

If you'd actually seen the show instead of bitching/moaning about it you'd know that they constantly use the gate.

you can IMAGINE all you wish...but the ratings say it will be lucky to last past the mid-season of season 2.

Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, new episodes of SGU are forthcoming while fans of SGA are just s.o.l.

I mean, unless they tune in to SGU to see them guest star in season 2 that is.... :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Gotta love a troll!

Humor is an aspect that I loved in SG1 and SGA, it was something that set the franchise apart from others and, imho, made it better in a lot of ways. They were able to have dramatic, action packed episodes with characters that were funny as hell.

To be fair to the characters on the Destiny.....they're all pretty certain that....yep, they're probably all going to die a billion light years from home.

Whether in the cold vacuum of space, starvation, being eaten alive, captured and killed by the 'blueberry' aliens, the Lucian Alliance, etc.....it's not a situation that inspires a lot of joking around.
you obviously have never known people who deal with life-threatening situations on a daily basis. ;) Doctors, cops, firefighters, those in the military all will use "gallows" humor to destress. ...:rolleyes:

FYI- i have seen SGPoo..I gave it 5 eps...terrible horrible show! And the ratings agree. After what TPTB did to the last season of sga...I am thrilled it's not on...I will NOT be SOL though...I have the dvds to enjoy again and again! ;) as to mckay and woolsey on sgpoo...well they were my LEAST fave characters so NO DESIRE AT ALL to see them on sgpoo...I wonder if the show will be cancelled before the ep airs....V will be back by then! ;)

calibos

GateFans Member
you obviously have never known people who deal with life-threatening situations on a daily basis. Doctors, cops, firefighters, those in the military all will use "gallows" humor to destress. ...

Oh.

So everybody who deals with 'life-threatening situations' uses humor to 'destress'. :rolleyes:

You can't grasp that some people might have difficulty dealing with it, maybe they're less inclined to have a positive outlook on things when facing dire circumstances.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the troll tries!

Oh.

So everybody who deals with 'life-threatening situations' uses humor to 'destress'. :rolleyes:

You can't grasp that some people might have difficulty dealing with it, maybe they're less inclined to have a positive outlook on things when facing dire circumstances.

since you obviously haven't met people who do...I guess you can use your own judgement...but baby once you grow up a bit you will see how totally UNREALISTIC sgpoo is! ;)

calibos

GateFans Member
FYI- i have seen SGPoo..I gave it 5 eps...terrible horrible show! And the ratings agree. After what TPTB did to the last season of sga...I am thrilled it's not on...I will NOT be SOL though...I have the dvds to enjoy again and again!

Yep, and you can enjoy some of your favorite SGA characters again on SGU this upcoming season.

And which five shows did you watch? Let's take a look see and figure out how many times they used the gate for those episodes.

calibos

GateFans Member
since obviously haven't met people who do...I guess you can use your own judgement...but baby once you grow up a bit you will see how totally UNREALISTIC sgpoo is! ;)

Ah......you're assuming.

Just like you assume that SGU is 'unrealistic' even though you've never actually seen it.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Ah......you're assuming.

Just like you assume that SGU is 'unrealistic' even though you've never actually seen it.

you reveal yourself by your love of sgpoo...;) also your inability to READ helps with that.

the show will be gone by the end of season 2...and we can then hope somone takes away tptb's ability to ruin other perfectly good shows! ;)

calibos

GateFans Member
you reveal yourself by your love of sgpoo...;) also your inability to READ helps with that.

Your inability to list the episodes you've 'seen' that didn't show the crew of the Destiny using the Stargate is pretty interesting too....

the show will be gone by the end of season 2...and we can then hope somone takes away tptb's ability to ruin other perfectly good shows! ;)

Nope, it has at least three or four seasons in it, hopefully more.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
What fucking show have you been watching? I have seen every episode so far and they only use the gate a handfull of times. They should have called in com stone universe as they use those much more often.
he's young...maybe he can't tell the difference? or no I got it...you SEE the gate in each ep!!! that's it! :P