The Belle of the Ball
Trek gets respect!

trekpredictingthefuture_zps21b30987.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

No offense, but the Verge is almost like the Blaze for technology. Both are high order stupid a lot of the time.

Oh, and my sympathies on your suffering. Watching Battleship can be an extremely traumatic event as you feel your brain hemorrhaging from the incredible stupidity on the screen.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No offense, but the Verge is almost like the Blaze for technology. Both are high order stupid a lot of the time.
It's an old story, even I saw it months ago.

Oh, and my sympathies on your suffering. Watching Battleship can be an extremely traumatic event as you feel your brain hemorrhaging from the incredible stupidity on the screen.
Must resist, must resist.......

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's an old story, even I saw it months ago.

Must resist, must resist.......

Did you like Battleship? If so, then you have company. I liked it, despite the "stupid" of it, the movie was fun to watch, however implausible or over the top. :) If you hated it, nevermind! :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh I know it's an old story. I was just noting that the Verge (which is more known for tech content here) tends to be a rag.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you like Battleship? If so, then you have company. I liked it, despite the "stupid" of it, the movie was fun to watch, however implausible or over the top. :) If you hated it, nevermind! :)

I confess I wasn't thrilled with it. It could have come from having watched it almost back to back with sitting through Transformers 3 and after that appalling stupid effort another mindless orgy of explosions right on its heels may have had me jaded.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I confess I wasn't thrilled with it. It could have come from having watched it almost back to back with sitting through Transformers 3 and after that appalling stupid effort another mindless orgy of explosions right on its heels may have had me jaded.

I could not suspend belief when it came to using the old ship, along with it's carefully picked (and genuine) vets used as the crew. That, and the relatively primitive weapons used by the aliens. Why unpowered mortar-like projectiles? Why the giant sawblade thingies? They seemed pathetically lame as compared to the other tech the aliens obviously had and were using. The shields for instance...none around the giant alien machines in the water? It goes on...but it was fun. :)

I think this movie was packaged to appeal to a much older demographic, those still enamored with WWII and sea battles. Either that, or it was written from somebody from that demographic (more likely?).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I could not suspend belief when it came to using the old ship, along with it's carefully picked (and genuine) vets used as the crew. That, and the relatively primitive weapons used by the aliens. Why unpowered mortar-like projectiles? Why the giant sawblade thingies? They seemed pathetically lame as compared to the other tech the aliens obviously had and were using. The shields for instance...none around the giant alien machines in the water? It goes on...but it was fun. :)

I think this movie was packaged to appeal to a much older demographic, those still enamored with WWII and sea battles. Either that, or it was written from somebody from that demographic (more likely?).

That part actually made me laugh. No offense to the vets whom I respect, but the Missouri would not in any way have been properly worked up to sail. It's a museum ship and has been since 1999. Why would it have fuel, lubricants (without which the propeller shafts would have seized up right away), shells, propellant and all the other needs right there? not to mention they were WAY short of enough men to even minimally work the ship.

If it's fun enough I can always give it another try.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

You mean the Movie??

It was a "brain off, watch the booms" movie. It relied on emotional connections with the US audience over pearl harbour, with a dash of "lets get past it china man" thrown in. It was a bit of fun, with a whacking dollop of nationalism with a side order of forgiveness.
It hit the notes, as long as you are either tone deaf, or willing to be a little forgiving. :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That part actually made me laugh. No offense to the vets whom I respect, but the Missouri would not in any way have been properly worked up to sail. It's a museum ship and has been since 1999. Why would it have fuel, lubricants (without which the propeller shafts would have seized up right away), shells, propellant and all the other needs right there? not to mention they were WAY short of enough men to even minimally work the ship.

Joe, you need to learn how to turn your brain off.
Have some kids, or babysit your sisters/brothers/cousins former roommates kids.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You mean the Movie??

It was a "brain off, watch the booms" movie. It relied on emotional connections with the US audience over pearl harbour, with a dash of "lets get past it china man" thrown in. It was a bit of fun, with a whacking dollop of nationalism with a side order of forgiveness.
It hit the notes, as long as you are either tone deaf, or willing to be a little forgiving. :P

Spot on the money. :) Now....quick comparison in that notion with the revival (and STRONG push to front and center) of Captain America, and you will understand why Im not thrilled with Cap. :) But we are talking about Battleship, so yeah, it was nationalistic nostalgic candy for an older demographic. Meant for aging WW2 vets who want to go to one of those science fiction flicks. :) Nothing wrong with that, since that generation never needed realism in movies. Rhianna in this thing made no sense whatsoever. Strictly redshirt stuff for her in this, only she lived. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Did you ever see Sink the Bismarck? If you ever heard of it or saw it today, you would be mystified to the appeal of it to anybody. WTH is the Bismarck? Ok, some big German battleship in WW2? Who realizes that there was no AEGIS or Ohio class submarines and who really relates to WW2 and the conflict with Germany? That time is sorta encapsulated in history and appeals greatly only to one or two generations. The same thing happened with Westerns.

Having said that, this movie was not meant to be anything deep, plausible or serious. Like Gatefan said, It was a "brain off, watch the booms" movie. (I love that :))

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Joe, you need to learn how to turn your brain off.
Have some kids, or babysit your sisters/brothers/cousins former roommates kids.

Not something I've ever been really able to do. I try but it always clicks back on. And that admittedly means that some types of films (for example) give me issues because I lose the willing suspension of disbelief.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you ever see Sink the Bismarck? If you ever heard of it or saw it today, you would be mystified to the appeal of it to anybody. WTH is the Bismarck? Ok, some big German battleship in WW2? Who realizes that there was no AEGIS or Ohio class submarines and who really relates to WW2 and the conflict with Germany? That time is sorta encapsulated in history and appeals greatly only to one or two generations. The same thing happened with Westerns.

Having said that, this movie was not meant to be anything deep, plausible or serious. Like Gatefan said, It was a "brain off, watch the booms" movie. (I love that :))

Yep. Seen Sink the Bismarck. They could have ditched the entire subplot with the Admiralty officer and his son. Otherwise the history was decent and the model work was good (the ships were actually correct which was a cool thing). I actually liked a little known film called Under Ten Flags somewhat more as the topic (the career of the WW2 raider Atlantis) is both esoteric and I have the book.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not something I've ever been really able to do. I try but it always clicks back on. And that admittedly means that some types of films (for example) give me issues because I lose the willing suspension of disbelief.

Tank Girl anyone? :lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Regarding Tank Girl.

Hey, remember I pointed out beforehand the idea was to relaunch Facepalm Rewatches? I never claimed the film was good just weird.

........alas I had forgotten over time just HOW STUPID IT IS!!!!