Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not finding anything online that says that Pits are illegal in Redondo Beach.

It may just be wishful thinking on your part.

In 2008, a toddler was mauled in Redondo Beach by a pitbull, and a ban was imposed temporarily. It was appealed and the state will not enforce breed specific laws officially. But I challenge you to call any apartment building or condo at random anywhere in Redondo Beach and ask them if you can rent with a pitbull and they will tell you that they are "illegal", even though officially they are not. They will not be seen on the beach, and though the dog park on 190th street does not prohibit them, bringing one there will immediately clear the park. Police will not prosecute somebody for shooting a pitbull here in Redondo. You cant have them anywhere here. Police will shoot them on sight if they are uncollared and unleashed.

The original wording was the same as the Santa Monica law:

4.04.410 Vicious dogs.

(a) No person owning or harboring any pit bull or any other dog subject to this Section pursuant to subdivision (b) shall within the limits of the City allow or permit such dog, whether licensed or not, to be upon the public streets, public sidewalks, public parks, or any other public place within the City, or upon any private property which is not fully enclosed by fence or other barrier, except when muzzled and held under leash by an able bodied person.

(b) This Section shall apply to any dog for which the Animal Control Officer has issued, based upon the vicious or predatory nature of the dog, a written notice to the person owning or harboring such dog to keep the dog muzzled and leashed in accordance with this Section.

(c) For purposes of this Section, "pit bull" means any pit bull terrier of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, or American Pit Bull Terrier breed of dog or any mixed breed of dog which contains as an element of its breeding the breed of Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, or American Pit Bull Terrier as to be identified as partially of the breed of Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, or American Pit Bull Terrier. (Former section 4.04.410 of the Santa Monica Municipal Code.)

In Redondo Beach, moving in and the acquiring a pitbull will get you evicted. Not only that, but residents are likely to report the dog and the owner and the dog will be sent to a shelter and if the owner cant re-home him, he will be destroyed.

Not wishful thinking, my friend. :)

FACTOID:

There is no breed of domestic dog that can kill a pitbull.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let me add that I LOVE DOGS. I love big dogs, small dogs mixed dogs, lap dogs, etc. But I dont want to be near any animal that can literally kill me. I dont want somebody walking a leashed lion or hyena or gorilla or keeping any of those animals as a pet, because they can literally kill people and pets and children. I think that breed specific legislation is sorely needed nationwide to eliminate the pitbull terrier specifically. Too many deaths, maulings of children, killing of pets, turning on owners show us what this breed is about. They are attractive to people who own them because they are dangerous. The type of person who picks a pitbull as a pet is doing it for reasons other than just getting a dog.

WARNING! Clicking this link is not for the squeamish!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pit...HYoASrvIDoDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1097&bih=546

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This black lab loves his red bucket more than anyone loves anything! Must see...

Pure joy! :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So you'd just shoot a stray dog?

The only dogs I have ever shot on my property were ones that "belonged" to a guy (now imprisoned) who was an alcoholic and basically a lunatic. He kept the dogs outside, unfed and cold and kept a young bull inside with him!

He said he took care of his dogs, but no. They would come to my yard and my neighbors and dig through our trash and compost piles looking for food.

Once, his pack came down (they were led by the smallest dog-a terrier of some type) and started attacked the dog we had at the time out on a run. They found that she couldn't run away so they surrounded here and started attacking her (She was pretty good size to, the pound we got her from described her as a "Pharaoh dog").

I got my 30-30 (didn't have my semi auto .22 at the time) and by the time I was ready to shoot they had already torn a small chunk out of our dog's hind flank

I fired open sights at the leader, hit and killed it (terriers really get some air when they get it by a large calibre bullet!) then hit and killed the biggest in the bunch and they ran away

About an hour later-after I had buried the dogs-the drunk came down and said he was missing two dogs and that he heard gunfire, "had I heard it too?" "Gunfire? What gunfire?"

The police had to deal with the pack about 2 months later when they were attacking a neighbors teenage daughter (they were so hungry and wild that they attacked her because they smelled blood--her period) The state police shot all the dogs on the spot and arrested the drunk ass lunatic for endangerment and assault.

To answer your ? No I would only shoot a dog that was causing an issue. If I shot every stray I would be running out of ammo by now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only dogs I have ever shot on my property were ones that "belonged" to a guy (now imprisoned) who was an alcoholic and basically a lunatic. He kept the dogs outside, unfed and cold and kept a young bull inside with him!

He said he took care of his dogs, but no. They would come to my yard and my neighbors and dig through our trash and compost piles looking for food.

Once, his pack came down (they were led by the smallest dog-a terrier of some type) and started attacked the dog we had at the time out on a run. They found that she couldn't run away so they surrounded here and started attacking her (She was pretty good size to, the pound we got her from described her as a "Pharaoh dog").

I got my 30-30 (didn't have my semi auto .22 at the time) and by the time I was ready to shoot they had already torn a small chunk out of our dog's hind flank

I fired open sights at the leader, hit and killed it (terriers really get some air when they get it by a large calibre bullet!) then hit and killed the biggest in the bunch and they ran away

About an hour later-after I had buried the dogs-the drunk came down and said he was missing two dogs and that he heard gunfire, "had I heard it too?" "Gunfire? What gunfire?"

The police had to deal with the pack about 2 months later when they were attacking a neighbors teenage daughter (they were so hungry and wild that they attacked her because they smelled blood--her period) The state police shot all the dogs on the spot and arrested the drunk ass lunatic for endangerment and assault.

To answer your ? No I would only shoot a dog that was causing an issue. If I shot every stray I would be running out of ammo by now.

There is a point where dogs become a threat, and to look at them as you might a beloved companion might be very unwise...especially in a loose running pack. But pitbulls have to be watched no matter where they are or who they are with. Despite what has been said about it being how they are raised, many examples of pets who "suddenly snapped" and killed an infant or small child or even it's owner exist.

If I saw a loose pitbull running around loose in our very small inner courtyard, I would definitely load my gun. If I was outside, I would probably run, and then get inside and load my gun. Im sure that if the other neighbors saw it, they would load their guns as well. You just dont see pitbulls in Redondo Beach. Im certain people have them, but they are either enclosed or otherwise kept under control. And those people would be homeowners and not renters or leasee. I dont think it is illegal, but it might as well be. Somebody walking a pitbull or other bully breed on the esplanade is not going to be very popular with locals or the RBPD.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There is a point where dogs become a threat, and to look at them as you might a beloved companion might be very unwise...especially in a loose running pack. But pitbulls have to be watched no matter where they are or who they are with. Despite what has been said about it being how they are raised, many examples of pets who "suddenly snapped" and killed an infant or small child or even it's owner exist.

If I saw a loose pitbull running around loose in our very small inner courtyard, I would definitely load my gun. If I was outside, I would probably run, and then get inside and load my gun. Im sure that if the other neighbors saw it, they would load their guns as well. You just dont see pitbulls in Redondo Beach. Im certain people have them, but they are either enclosed or otherwise kept under control. And those people would be homeowners and not renters or leasee. I dont think it is illegal, but it might as well be. Somebody walking a pitbull or other bully breed on the esplanade is not going to be very popular with locals or the RBPD.

Is anyone allowed to shoot a dog in CA without permission and suffer no legal repercussions? Some states/localities have a rule where it is illegal to do so--you can shoot a person but you can't stand your ground against a dog

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is anyone allowed to shoot a dog in CA without permission and suffer no legal repercussions? Some states/localities have a rule where it is illegal to do so--you can shoot a person but you can't stand your ground against a dog

You can shoot a dog or a person as long as you are on your property as well as the assailant. With a person, you have to prove intent to harm. I dont think most Californians would feel threatened by a poodle or a chihuahua or even dogs like Labrador Retrievers and beagles and Yorkies, and Border Collies, etc. Its the muscular "bully breeds" that cause the problem, and more often than not it is a pitbull. Shooting a pitbull on your property is not going to get anybody charged with a crime in RB. No judge in California will rule in favor of a pitbull, IMO. Never seen it.

B

Backstep

You can shoot a dog or a person as long as you are on your property as well as the assailant. With a person, you have to prove intent to harm. I dont think most Californians would feel threatened by a poodle or a chihuahua or even dogs like Labrador Retrievers and beagles and Yorkies, and Border Collies, etc. Its the muscular "bully breeds" that cause the problem, and more often than not it is a pitbull. Shooting a pitbull on your property is not going to get anybody charged with a crime in RB. No judge in California will rule in favor of a pitbull, IMO. Never seen it.

CA - Crimes - § 597. Cruelty to animals CA PENAL § 597
This statutes states that anyone who maliciously and intentionally maims, mutilates, tortures, or wounds a living animal, or maliciously and intentionally kills an animal, is guilty of an offense punishable by imprisonment in the state prison, or by a fine of not more than twenty thousand dollars ($ 20,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment, or, alternatively, by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or by a fine of not more than twenty thousand dollars ($ 20,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment. The statute also defines specific forms of torture and mistreatment that qualifies as a crime under this section.

Dogs Attacking People or Livestock
Generally, it's perfectly legal to do anything necessary to stop a dog caught in the act of attacking a person or livestock. A dog's owner is not legally entitled to any money from someone who injures or kills the dog while protecting a person or farm animal from attack. Nor is the person guilty of a criminal offense; many animal cruelty laws specifically exempt the act of injuring or killing a dog in these circumstances.

"Livestock" usually means only commercially valuable animals, not pets or wild animals. Some state laws list the kinds of animals protected; others say only that a dog may be killed if it attacks a "domestic animal," which historically does not include dogs and cats. Dogs and cats may even be specifically excluded; for example, in Ohio it's legal to kill a dog that is chasing or injuring a "sheep, lamb, goat, kid, domestic fowl or domestic animal except a cat or another dog."

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hero Cat who saved the boy from the dog earlier in this thread got to throw first pitch at a baseball game. LOL!

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...y-from-dog-attack-throws-first-pitch-at-game/

The video, which has garnered 21 million views on YouTube, shows the dog biting and attempting to drag the boy. Within seconds, Tara leaps out and chases the canine away.

Jeremy needed 10 stitches in his left leg after the incident.

Ryan Triantafilo, Jeremy’s father, said he edited the video and posted it on YouTube for family and friends to see and that he never anticipated the flood of attention.

Tara, who followed Triantafilo and his wife, Erica, home from the park one night, has been smothered with love since her heroics.

“We’ve just given her a lot of love, kept her in the house and paid a lot of attention to her,” he said.

There was a failed attempt at the game, between the Blaze and the Lancaster JetHawks, to have Tara “throw” the pitch using a baseball attached to a fishing line.

Tara might have been nervous, so Ryan Triantafilo helped the cat throw the pitch as he held her in his arms.

Meanwhile, Jeremy, ever grateful to his feline buddy, threw the game’s actual ceremonial first pitch.

:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My big cat Siete can now turn the knobs on doors. :( He also has started (for the first time) clawing at the window screen next to my front door, trying to go outside. I actually do let him out on supervised excursions within the apartment courtyard, but he has been pushing his limits. The female cat who lives mostly out in that courtyard is the likely motivation, even though all three of my cats are neutered.

So, I have to replace my window screens on the windows which face the walkway with pet mesh: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-36-in-x-84-in-Black-Pet-Screen-3004152/100390513

Im going to be doing it like this:

Maine Coon cats are creepily intelligent. Siete is unlike any cat I have ever known, and is completely unlike my other two cats. They have no interest in opening doors or learning how to open doors. He watches where I put the cat treats and I come home and find the cabinet open and claw marks on the package. He also takes clothing items I have worn and carries them to other places in my apartment. So, now I have split sock sets because Siete has stashed one of the socks somewhere "safe". :fox:.

So, off to Home Depot!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Cat's Guide to loving a Human:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG, some people are so stupid! I recently met somebody who came over to a neighbor's house when my cat Siete came up to him outside and flopped down on his back (his way of saying "Hello! I like you!"). As he was being pet by this dude, the guy noticed his nipples and he said "This is a girl cat, cause he has nipples". HUH? All male cats have 6 nipples like the females. :facepalm:. Then I said "Ok, then you must be a girl too because you have nipples too". He actually looked it up on his phone to be sure he was wrong. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
kitten gets stuck in vehicle's spring:

I love those guys. :) They went through all that trouble just to free the kitty from that spring. They took the tire off, the spring...if they had not, the kitty would have been crushed as soon as the truck hit a bump. I love seeing that kind of compassion for animals in people. Made my day. THANKS!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I love those guys. :) They went through all that trouble just to free the kitty from that spring. They took the tire off, the spring...if they had not, the kitty would have been crushed as soon as the truck hit a bump. I love seeing that kind of compassion for animals in people. Made my day. THANKS!

did you see where the guy had already driven like over 100kms before he stopped for gas and heard the cat?

lucky cat

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Saw this and thought of you OM1 :
crazycatladyactionfigurelol1_zps8574b82b.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Saw this and thought of you OM1 :
crazycatladyactionfigurelol1_zps8574b82b.jpg

:icon_rotflmao: You have to remember, the Crazy Cat Guy only needs more than two cats to qualify, and I have three. Cat Lady needs at least 4 cats, maybe 5. CRAZY cat lady has a minimum of 6, but usually has more like 8+. :). I call myself a Crazy Cat Guy but the girls who know I have three know the story of how I got the third one so they are forgiving. Some of the women I meet are turned off by me having a cat AT ALL! They usually have dogs.

Is there a "dog person" vs "cat person" thing out there? You bet there is. I love dogs AND cats and just about every type of animal except pest animals. :) Many people find that quality appealing.