Cat Lovers Thread

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
No, not a pit bull, OM1. Looks like a generic dog mix. The head is the wrong shape to be one of the bully breeds.

Also, that was security camera footage, apparently motion activated. There was no one just standing there filming things while they happened. Notice how steady the cameras were during the whole thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, not a pit bull, OM1. Looks like a generic dog mix. The head is the wrong shape to be one of the bully breeds.

Also, that was security camera footage, apparently motion activated. There was no one just standing there filming things while they happened. Notice how steady the cameras were during the whole thing.

Looks like a pitbull/lab mix. The body structure looks more pitbull, but the head is a cross between pit and lab...I have sent a message to the guy who posted the video to see what he says. :) The behavior of the dog is definitely pitbull-ish. I hope they have identified this dog and taken proper steps.

Capture.PNG

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
its a neighbor's dog and is now at animal control, where it will undergo a two week evaluation/observation. The dog got out while the owner was coming in.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
its a neighbor's dog and is now at animal control, where it will undergo a two week evaluation/observation. The dog got out while the owner was coming in.

Is it a pit mix? Nobody is saying anything about the dog much...not just any dog will attack a small child unprovoked. The dog basically attacked the kid like he was prey. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Yeah I read that. But I dont see any Chow in that dog. I think the owner is lying.

This is a Chow

ChowChowKhanByJohnDJackson.jpg

This is a Chow Lab mix.

chow-chow-lab-mix-puppiesollie-the-chow-labrador-mix-dogs-daily-puppy-ebsrq3cn.jpg

This is a Lab Pitbull mix (look familiar?)

pitbull_lab_mix.jpg

Dog in video

Capture.PNG

Neither the Chow or the Lab has the body type shown in that dog. I suspect that the neighborhood this happened in has BSL restrictions. I say that because people trying to rent apartments in Redondo Beach try every way possible to avoid the BSL restrictions most every rental property has in Redondo Beach. Homeowner Associations will not allow homeowners to own pitbulls or pitbull mixes either. They try to claim Lab/bulldog, Lab/Akita, Even Dane and Chihuahua. :) I think Chow is a choice because of the big square head. But the Chow's coat is dominant genetically.

But the giveaway was the fact that the dog atrtacked the kid to begin with. Labs just do not do that. The Chow does not do that. The Akita might, but this dog's body looks like a pit. I think also that the neighbor whose son got bit probably does not want to cause problems with their neighbors. Evidently they are friends.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Exactly! I have a hard time believing that the dog would have gotten close enough if a parent had been out in the driveway with the kid watching him play-especially so close to a road! Must have been inside sucking the A/C or updating their FB page.

I say charge the parents with an endangerment charge or the least a CPS investigation. They do it for far less and when the kid does't even get hurt

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly! I have a hard time believing that the dog would have gotten close enough if a parent had been out in the driveway with the kid watching him play-especially so close to a road! Must have been inside sucking the A/C or updating their FB page.

I say charge the parents with an endangerment charge or the least a CPS investigation. They do it for far less and when the kid does't even get hurt

Nobody is stating the obvious. The DOG was the one at fault here, not the parents, not the kid. Those security cameras represent above and beyond just watching the child. The dog probably would not have approached if the mother had been present.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is the dog fertilizer yet? :daniel_new004:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

If this or something like it happened on my property, the dog would have gotten a lead injection and been a couple of feet under by now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If this or something like it happened on my property, the dog would have gotten a lead injection and been a couple of feet under by now.

I would only need to see it on the property running loose and that would be enough. My neighbors are legal gun owners too. I wouldnt even wait for an attack.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So you'd just shoot a stray dog?

No. Of course not! But I know that pitbulls are illegal to own in Redondo Beach so if I saw one wander into the gated common area in our building (the outside gate is usually left open), and it did not have a collar or a leash, yeah I would. There is a Down's Syndrome kid 6 years old living in the building, there are two small dogs and a total of 7 cats, three of my own and the rest are other neighbor cats.

All of my neighbors would probably do it. I might try and trap the animal first in the laundry room or in the pool area, then call animal control...and they would put it down. Even if they didnt, it would get put down at the shelter within an hour of being caught.

I do not internalize pitbulls as a pet. I see them as a wild, viscous beast like the dog version of a troll. I see them as I see aggressive coyotes or something rabid.

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm not finding anything online that says that Pits are illegal in Redondo Beach.

It may just be wishful thinking on your part.