"The Walking Dead" Season 2 premiere breaks records

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...10/walking-dead-breaks-cable-ratings-record/1

The Season 2 premiere last night averaged 7.3 million total viewers, up 38% from last year's premiere on Halloween, reports USA TODAY's Gary Levin.

The cable channel says the 4.8 million viewers in adults 18-49 was a record-setting number - more than any other basic cable drama in history in that category. (The Closer has had bigger overall audiences in the past.) In the 18-49 category, it was television's No. 1 series for the night, according to Nielsen.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I just realized I can watch AMC from outside the US without a proxy! YAY!

On another note, I'm dying to get back down south.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I just hope they can keep up the momentum with the story line.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I just hope they can keep up the momentum with the story line.
using season 1 as an indicator id say no as that was SLOW even for so few episodes.. still watchable for the lack of anything better but slow and some of that weird "drama" crap SGU had going... it just simply didnt grab me that much ie i didnt care wether any of em lived or died or wth they faced or went..

Bluce Ree

No, they do have them. I just tried to watch the episode myself but I was unable to. But I've already downloaded it through "other" means so I'm good.

Perhaps it's only to certain countries where they license out the show. I'm still in Canada at the moment and had no problem watching content on AMC's website, probably because none of their shows are broadcast up here.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Perhaps it's only to certain countries where they license out the show. I'm still in Canada at the moment and had no problem watching content on AMC's website, probably because none of their shows are broadcast up here.

Or because AMC is available in Canada (at least according to wikipedia).

On September 1, 2006, AMC officially became available in Canada for customers of Shaw Communications (both the cable service and the Shaw Direct satellite system), marking the first time the channel was made available outside of the United States. Other cable companies, including Rogers Cable and Telus, have followed by adding AMC to their lineup as well.
[...]
On November 2, 2009, Bell Canada announced that it will add both the SD and HD versions of AMC to its Bell TV lineup on November 11, 2009. [SUP][25][/SUP]

OMNI

omg i just sw this episode and MAAAAAAAAAAN was it painfully slow and full of retarded moves from the people it follows christ i really dont see why people like this show at all... sure zombies are fun but this show isnt about zombies or finding out anything why its about slow painfull stupid forced drama crap much slower and more painfull then SGU ever was..

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
omg i just sw this episode and MAAAAAAAAAAN was it painfully slow and full of retarded moves from the people it follows christ i really dont see why people like this show at all... sure zombies are fun but this show isnt about zombies or finding out anything why its about slow painfull stupid forced drama crap much slower and more painfull then SGU ever was..

It's not as bad as SGU. It does have "forced drama crap" though. The stupid moves that characters make is a turn off because they aren't realistic. One can suspend their disbelief but only to a point, after that it just gets tedious and annoying.

For the life of me I don't understand why they travel with a freakin' RV. That makes no sense. If you need to get from point A to point B in a zombie infested/traffic clogged world you do so in the most expedient and efficient manner possible, and that would preclude using an RV. And if you don't know where you're going you probably shouldn't be driving anywhere until you do, duh!

Additionally, what's the point of standing on top of the freakin' RV (with binoculars) when you can't spot the hoard of zombies 50 feet away???

FAIL.

Thanks OMNI, you got me pissed at this show now. :evil:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Plus they have been in/near military installations already. Were it me a Hummer or even better a Stryker would be perfect. They use pretty much any fuel and if you confront a herd of Zombies its no big deal - they aren't getting in. So yes, the Walking Dead characters being as dumb as rocks hurts the show.

OMNI

It's not as bad as SGU. It does have "forced drama crap" though. The stupid moves that characters make is a turn off because they aren't realistic. One can suspend their disbelief but only to a point, after that it just gets tedious and annoying.

For the life of me I don't understand why they travel with a freakin' RV. That makes no sense. If you need to get from point A to point B in a zombie infested/traffic clogged world you do so in the most expedient and efficient manner possible, and that would preclude using an RV. And if you don't know where you're going you probably shouldn't be driving anywhere until you do, duh!

Additionally, what's the point of standing on top of the freakin' RV (with binoculars) when you can't spot the hoard of zombies 50 feet away???

FAIL.

Thanks OMNI, you got me pissed at this show now. :evil:
actually i do think its just a wee bit worse then sgu as most of the time something actually happened in sgu and no season premiere in the entire SG's run has ever been this stupid and boring i mean come on the entire ep was spent looking for the girl and these nasty overly drawn out drama moments and at the end it felt like we didnt make ANY progress for the over all "arc" (If you could call it that) and as such it was a horrible season opener and imo worse then even sgu.

Dont get me wrong i like the story and the concept over the walking dead but these drama moments kill it for me and make it boring as it just doesnt grab you buy the nuts and have you at the edge of the seat not knowing what comes next, what is basicly missing for me is good acting specificly drama which imo is EXTREMLY hard to master and is hard to come by in TV shows, they kinda either end up like days of our lives/the bold and the beautyfull or they try to hard and end up trying to force these moments expecting the actors to be able to do it but they clearly are not and end up with SGU and most parts of what this episode of the walking dead ie drawn out wierdness... and as you put it "tedious and annoying"

and the camera and editing work in the "horde" scene specificly the distance of the horde before it was even seen was bad really REALLY bad,
also a CG crit there was the abrupt greenscreen cutoff where the "pileup" ended..

as for the RV hey it has a BATHROOM and being able to go to the bathroom in a civilised manner is aparantly important in a post apocalyptic zombie infested world!! :P

also im glad i could awaken the GREAT ape again! ;)

OMNI

Plus they have been in/near military installations already. Were it me a Hummer or even better a Stryker would be perfect. They use pretty much any fuel and if you confront a herd of Zombies its no big deal - they aren't getting in. So yes, the Walking Dead characters being as dumb as rocks hurts the show.
hell yes i would def prefer driving around in those as they are safe and run on diesel (with a quick fix you can run it on alot of dif stuff including vegtable oil) but the draw back is their miles to the gallon and that you wouldnt get very far on what little you manage salvage.

i do agree with your assesment of the characters in general tho OMG are they behaving stupid and imature..

Bluce Ree

Or because AMC is available in Canada (at least according to wikipedia).

Well, that answers my question. :icon_lol:

That's all west, though. In Quebec, you're served a variety of fecal-based programming.

As for Bell, they like announce lots of stuff and lead new subscribers to new heights of utter disappointment.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Since seeing Dawn of the Dead, I have thought how I would handle a worldwide zombie infestation. First, I would find an armory or a motor-T yard (most cities have them in the suburbs, and most have at least 4 jeeps, a 2-ton vehicle and a fuel tank setup. Also, most are gated with chain-link or brick fencing and concertina wire. :) I would use the day to find other people who had survived and then dig a moat around the yard about 20 feet wide, then fill it with water.

Ever notice how they never show zombies crossing water?

Another scenario would be to get to Catalina Island and kill off any zombies there and then live comfortably off the land. In Dawn of the Dead, they sealed off a shopping mall and "cleansed" it from zombies. In there, they would have all the food they ever needed, plenty of water and lots of gates and barriers to use.

In this show, they have the RV but the added drama is slowing things down.

Bluce Ree

Since seeing Dawn of the Dead, I have thought how I would handle a worldwide zombie infestation. First, I would find an armory or a motor-T yard (most cities have them in the suburbs, and most have at least 4 jeeps, a 2-ton vehicle and a fuel tank setup. Also, most are gated with chain-link or brick fencing and concertina wire. :) I would use the day to find other people who had survived and then dig a moat around the yard about 20 feet wide, then fill it with water.

Ever notice how they never show zombies crossing water?

They do in Romero's Land of the Dead (the last "Dead" movie in the series) and the Season 2 premiere of The Walking Dead. Zombi 2 shows one attacking and eating a shark. Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mTktQCNv2w

Ah, the 80s. A period of the corniest horror movies when horror was all the hype. :icon_lol:

You should fill that moat with hydrofluoric acid instead. That stuff will dissolve everything.

Another scenario would be to get to Catalina Island and kill off any zombies there and then live comfortably off the land. In Dawn of the Dead, they sealed off a shopping mall and "cleansed" it from zombies. In there, they would have all the food they ever needed, plenty of water and lots of gates and barriers to use.

In this show, they have the RV but the added drama is slowing things down.

You'd be screwed if they venture off into the water and a mall's food resources are going to be very limited unless they have a supermarket in there. :(

OMNI

sooo anyone see last nights ep? if you did would you be so kind to tell me if it is worth wasting my bandwidth on? (keep in mind i thought the premiere sucked monkey balls and if this ep has more of the same NO arc progress and forced draa BS i wont be intrested...)

so?

Bluce Ree

I'm still waiting for AMC's website to put up the ep.