Terra Nova

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
YOURE KIDDING.....right?

Sadly I'm being totally serious here. I almost couldn't believe they had that scene as it was so cliche' and ridiculous. Like I said earlier, this show has an identity crisis and can't decide if it's a cutesy cutesy kiddy show or a dark drama. It's this identity issue that will be a major reason for it's demise. When you try to be all things to all people you ultimately fail.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sadly I'm being totally serious here. I almost couldn't believe they had that scene as it was so cliche' and ridiculous. Like I said earlier, this show has an identity crisis and can't decide if it's a cutesy cutesy kiddy show or a dark drama. It's this identity issue that will be a major reason for it's demise. When you try to be all things to all people you ultimately fail.

hunter_running_from_bear_lg_clr.gif

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This will be followed by the discovery that the Raptors are much smarter than first thought.....and then comes the first Raptor-Human shipping (followed by TVs changing channels across the world).

:laughing:

S

Stonelesscutter

So it's either a dark 'n' gritty dino show or a cuty cuty dino show? What if there's plenty of people who like a half dark half cute dino show?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So it's either a dark 'n' gritty dino show or a cuty cuty dino show? What if there's plenty of people who like a half dark half cute dino show?

How is it that you're still single?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So shaved is asking about Stoneless availability?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Do you blame me?

(Let's not start a shoving match here. :D )

No offense to Stoneless, but I will not stand in your way. I would, however, suggest you two take this to a more "private" place...;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Has anyone else noticed that the Terra Nova theme sounds a lot like the theme for the asgard on SG1? Just askin'! :icon_e_wink:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They were acting out a preview of a future Terra Nova episode.

Wait...can somebody please straighten out the understanding of the premise of this show for me? The description is:

Genesis – In the opener of the Sci-Fi series following colonists who voyage to Earth’s prehistoric past to create a new civilization.

The Shannon family joins the Tenth Pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first colony established in this beautiful yet foreboding land. Jim Shannon, a devoted father with a checkered past, guides his family through this new world of limitless beauty, mystery and terror. Upon the Shannons’ arrival, they are introduced to Cmdr. Nathaniel Taylor, the charismatic and heroic first pioneer and leader of the settlement. Taylor warns the travelers that while Terra Nova is a place of new opportunities and fresh beginnings, all is not as idyllic as it initially appears. Along with blue skies, towering waterfalls and lush vegetation, the surrounding terrain is teeming with danger – and not just of the man-eating dinosaur variety. There is also a splinter colony of renegades led by the battle-hardened Mira, who is vehemently opposed to Taylor and his leadership.

Arent there some temporal issues here? If they have gone back to Earth's prehistoric past, then wont the future be different? Perhaps many of them will never exist. How do they get around cusality and paradoxes in this show?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
IIRC in the premiere they spoke of the time gate leading to the distant past in a different timestream (kind of like that SNG episode where Worf kept jumping into different alternate realities). That's how they dealt with the obvious causality problems.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
IIRC in the premiere they spoke of the time gate leading to the distant past in a different timestream (kind of like that SNG episode where Worf kept jumping into different alternate realities). That's how they dealt with the obvious causality problems.

If they had that sort of control, then why did they go into the prehistoric past and not a more hospitable time?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think they implied they had no control over where the time gates lead. And yes the whole thing is contrived to put it lightly.:ori:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm not sure if there would be any effect of causality or paradoxes that far back because of the extinction-level event that occurred, which almost provided a clean break from everything previous to it. An ELE would cause a huge disconnected gap, so, stepping on a butterfly or killing a dinosaur who's descendants did not make it past the ELE couldn't possibly affect anything in our period.

However, if the Tera Nova descendants made it through the ELE, hen we'd have an interesting scenario. Of course, humans evolving over millions of years starting from our current state of evolution creates far too many possibilities, including leaving Earth altogether and colonizing the stars. Tera Nova presents an interesting possibility in explaining all the humanoid aliens we see in sci-fi. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

Arent there some temporal issues here? If they have gone back to Earth's prehistoric past, then wont the future be different? Perhaps many of them will never exist. How do they get around cusality and paradoxes in this show?

They're all gonna be wiped out when the giant asteroid hits 20 million years from then. ;)