Defiance Ratings and Predictions Thread (Awards Given)

When will Defiance be cancelled by Syfy?

• Midway into the second season, with the remaining episodes airing after cancellation.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • At the end of the second season after all episodes have aired.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Defiance will get a season 3, but will be canceled before season 4.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Defiance will not get canceled.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wish they'd bring back Terra Nova in place of this crap. I liked the story in spite of the massive amount of cliches with the evil son and the cutesy kids were kept to a minimum.

Plus there was always the hope that one (or more) of the cutesy kids or annoying teens would get eaten by a dinosaur. :winking0052:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Plus there was always the hope that one (or more) of the cutesy kids or annoying teens would get eaten by a dinosaur. :winking0052:

Agreed but this show there's hope that a dinosaur will eat the whole town, if they decide to introduce dinosaurs, which I think they will given that all other plot devices are failing miserably.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Agreed but this show there's hope that a dinosaur will eat the whole town, if they decide to introduce dinosaurs, which I think they will given that all other plot devices are failing miserably.

It just bugs me that they're going to try and claim that this show was a success because it got "renewed" for a second season. Quite simply, a live action show with tons of costly CGI, large payroll, numerous location shots and tons of make-up and costuming requirements can't be supported by these dwindling ratings numbers. It will be interesting to see how they handle the production costs for the second season in the face of these tanking numbers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ratings Prediction for Episode 11

GF '76 1.55
ShavedApe - 1.46
Bluce Ree - Why do I bother?
Heisenberg - 1.45
SciphonicStranger - 1.59
Overmind One - 1.50

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I wish they'd bring back Terra Nova in place of this crap. I liked the story in spite of the massive amount of cliches with the evil son and the cutesy kids were kept to a minimum.

Terra Nova was expensive to make if I remember correctly.The pilot alone costed like 16 million dollars.

I think you're spot on here. The (guaranteed) Season 2 premiere will see a jump in ratings due to the heavy advertising they're sure to do, but then the show will resume its ratings plunge. I can't see this show surviving very long even if they retool it in Season 2. There's only so much they can do to "fix" things at this point and I don't see any of it being enough to save this turd. The premise itself is horribly flawed.

Yup!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well they could start the "fix" by actually explaining the backstory. Actually show us the Earth Republic and the Votan Collective. Give us some sort of CONTEXT to put the episodes into.

Then they can make the characters more consistent because when characters are THIS inconsistent in their behavior from episode to episode they become unbelievable. For example, Datak Tarr has gone from showing some good qualities to being scum to good to scum over the last few episodes. Similarly, the mayors sister and even Irisa have had major personality shifts from episode to episode. That is a hallmark of bad writing.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well they could start the "fix" by actually explaining the backstory. Actually show us the Earth Republic and the Votan Collective. Give us some sort of CONTEXT to put the episodes into.

Then they can make the characters more consistent because when characters are THIS inconsistent in their behavior from episode to episode they become unbelievable. For example, Datak Tarr has gone from showing some good qualities to being scum to good to scum over the last few episodes. Similarly, the mayors sister and even Irisa have had major personality shifts from episode to episode. That is a hallmark of bad writing.

Yes, it is.

Even if this show is being written by committee there's still no excuse for such wishy washy characters. This is a failure of the executive producers. The buck stops squarely at their doorstep.

As it is I don't think the odds are good that "fixing" this show will increase the ratings numbers. I know some shows have retooled after a dull first season and then done okay, but if you factor in the production costs for the lackluster first season and add them to the costs of a risky second season I just don't see a minor uptick in ratings making it worth it to keep producing this turd, even if it's a polished turd. And there simply is no way that this show is going to get a huge, steady increase in ratings. That just won't happen.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Are we gonna get the blame for this show's failure, too? :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Indeed, but we need to snag the DefianceSucks domain first. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here we go again! :smiley-laughing021:

Now...how to do this? Anybody interested in helping to launch this thing? Perhaps I should just point it here to GateFans? We could run it alongside GateFans and simply direct this thread to it? Im all open to ideas! BTW, I do have vBulletin licenses (2 available). Ill make a new thread...

Putting the thread back on the rails now:

GF '76 1.55
ShavedApe - 1.46
Heisenberg - 1.45
SciphonicStranger - 1.59
Overmind One - 1.50

Bluce Ree

Now...how to do this? Anybody interested in helping to launch this thing? Perhaps I should just point it here to GateFans? We could run it alongside GateFans and simply direct this thread to it? Im all open to ideas! BTW, I do have vBulletin licenses (2 available). Ill make a new thread...

Putting the thread back on the rails now:

GF '76 1.55
ShavedApe - 1.46
Heisenberg - 1.45
SciphonicStranger - 1.59
Overmind One - 1.50

I think it should be its own site. An unrestricted site like sgusucks was but not directly associated with this site.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think it should be its own site. An unrestricted site like sgusucks was but not directly associated with this site.

We are on the same page, brother! See the new thread I just posted. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'll take a look.

If you like I can repost my earlier observations about the show (schizoid characters, zero backstory and so on).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'll take a look.

If you like I can repost my earlier observations about the show (schizoid characters, zero backstory and so on).

I think a copy of this thread starter and a few comments will be a great start. There are LOTS of Defiance haters out there, mostly for the game but also for the show. I have a feeling that a large majority of new members will be gamers.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think a copy of this thread starter and a few comments will be a great start. There are LOTS of Defiance haters out there, mostly for the game but also for the show. I have a feeling that a large majority of new members will be gamers.

Keep me out of it, not because I like defiance, but I simply don't care about it enough like I did for Stargate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Keep me out of it, not because I like defiance, but I simply don't care about it enough like I did for Stargate.

Not a problem! I was not going to copy the users over or anything. Just a few select comments as thread starters.

Bluce Ree

Not a problem! I was not going to copy the users over or anything. Just a few select comments as thread starters.

I don't mind a starter or two. I'll have the wedge salad with blue cheese dressing and the calamari with marinara dipping sauce.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan

GF '76 1.55
ShavedApe - 1.46
Heisenberg - 1.45
SciphonicStranger - 1.59
Overmind One - 1.50
Chevron Atlantis - 1.55