The Atlantis movie was NEVER going to be made, so how could a "hold" have been put on it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I can see that too...thats why Im willing to wait a few years.

Unfortunately if there is anymore Stargate in the NEAR future chances are BW will be attached to it. I don't think there's any way of avoiding that if it happens in the next year or two. One can only hope he wakes up, gives up this SGU delusion, and goes back to what works. Otherwise we're in for more of the same misery. Ugh!

Brad is not going to get any better. There is NO REASON for me to believe that Brad can suddenly come up with a kickass Stargate show after showing us that they were recycling stories and running out of ideas. He needs to GET THE **** OUT. If Stargate is revived too soon, then Brad probably would still be involved and that is not a good thing. I want him to wake up ELSEWHERE, like in Borneo or Malaysia, far away from Stargate.

S

Stonelesscutter

I read somewhere that the Atlantis gateroom set cost about 2 million dollars. So, its not just a matter of "doing it again" on a whim. Also, the size of the sets requires at least 12,500 sqft of space to erect (noting the size of Stage 6 at Bridge). So, its not at all a simple matter financially or operationally.

What if MGM decides to shoot the movie in a Hollywood studio?

Also...the ACTORS, the camera crew and sound mixers...take in the whole picture and you can easily see that its no easy matter. Im a bit surprised that you seem to be almost playing Devil's Advocate for TPTB. They do not deserve your objective fairness. Why minimize what they have done?

I will NOT loose my objectivity! Never!! No way!!! :P
And I'm not playing any advocate whatsoever. I'm just stating my own opinions according to what I deem to be realistic (or potentially realistic).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im glad you get it!

That's not the point. Financially they NEEDED those sets if they intended to make a movie within the past 2 years. It would have been pointless to destroy the standing sets only to rebuild them within that time frame. The goal isn't to piss away money, it's to make money. It's clear they had no intention of making ANY SG1 or SGA movies since they tore down those sets, otherwise, why waste the money building new sets when you know you need sets for the movies anyway? Kind of a dumb way of doing business. I sure wouldn't want to invest my money with people who are that stupid with budgets.

EXACTLY. The point of this thread was to prove that TPTB were not going to make any Atlantis movie anytime soon, despite claims that there is a movie "on hold". That is a LIE. It was never in progress to be a movie other than the script that Mallozzi wrote. No pre-production stuff was done AT ALL. The actors were not approached, and nobody was pitching this idea to MGM who counted (Brad Wright and Rob Cooper). The only thing that was moving was Stargate Universe. Space was being secured at Bridge to build new SGU sets, scripts were being written, designs for scenes were being made...where is there ANY evidence that any Atlantis movie was in pre-production?

So, the Atlantis movie is NOT "on hold" or "shelved" because it was never in pre-production and was never going to be made. That is the point of this thread.

S

Stonelesscutter

That's not the point. Financially they NEEDED those sets if they intended to make a movie within the past 2 years, or during the 5 season SGU story arc they had planned. Or did they expect us to wait 5 years to get an SGA movie? That would be beyond stupid for myriad reasons.

Even early on it would have been pointless to destroy the standing sets only to rebuild them within a year or two or tearing them down. The goal isn't to piss away money, it's to make money. It's clear they had no intention of making ANY SG1 or SGA movies since they tore down those sets, otherwise, why waste the money building new sets when you know you need sets for the movies in the near future? Kind of a dumb way of doing business. I sure wouldn't want to invest my money with people who are that stupid with budgets.

Yeah yeah yeah alright.
We keep going in circles all the time ey. ;)
I just think there's a lot of speculation going on with this topic.
Let's just get back to ridiculing TPTB, the show and the characters. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay...

What if MGM decides to shoot the movie in a Hollywood studio?

Um, if that were an option, Atlantis would have been shot in Hollywood and not in Canada. Its a money thing. If Hollywood was an option, then SGU would have been shot there. :icon_cool:

I will NOT loose my objectivity! Never!! No way!!! :P
And I'm not playing any advocate whatsoever. I'm just stating my own opinions according to what I deem to be realistic (or potentially realistic).
You sure? :) Read back a few pages in this thread and you will see why I said that. You stop short of outright defending them, but you still are entertaining some rather unrealistic scenarios and giving TPTB the benefit of the doubt. So, rebuilding the sets after they have dismantled them for the NEW sets for SGU is realistic to you? Saying that they could shoot the movie in Hollywood is realistic? It isnt, really.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
EXACTLY. The point of this thread was to prove that TPTB were not going to make any Atlantis movie anytime soon, despite claims that there is a movie "on hold". That is a LIE. It was never in progress to be a movie other than the script that Mallozzi wrote. No pre-production stuff was done AT ALL. The actors were not approached, and nobody was pitching this idea to MGM who counted (Brad Wright and Rob Cooper). The only thing that was moving was Stargate Universe. Space was being secured at Bridge to build new SGU sets, scripts were being written, designs for scenes were being made...where is there ANY evidence that any Atlantis movie was in pre-production?

So, the Atlantis movie is NOT "on hold" or "shelved" because it was never in pre-production and was never going to be made. That is the point of this thread.

And let's face it, that script that Mallozzi wrote was a first draft, which would NOT have been filmed "as is". I know a little bit about writing screenplays and know that virtually no first draft is ever filmed. There is ALWAYS a ton of rewriting and reworking the script. In fact, Mallozzi might get credit for the movie in the end but there would be numerous others involved in reworking his story idea. Again, there is virtually no movie produced these days that doesn't have numerous hands working on the script. It's definitely NOT a solo effort. The construction of a film-able story is a big process that many people would be involved in pre-production. The offices would be buzzing with writing and story board meetings and budget meetings, etc. well in advance of any actual shooting. But other than JM's talk about his first draft I don't see ANY evidence of the SGA movie being worked on at all. It was literally in the pipe dream stage of production, that's it.

So, what I take from this is that JM did write a first draft movie script but that's as far as it went. More proof that we were mislead and lied to.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah yeah yeah alright.
We keep going in circles all the time ey. ;)
I just think there's a lot of speculation going on with this topic.
Let's just get back to ridiculing TPTB, the show and the characters. :D

What you call "speculation" I call "deductive reasoning". I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I firmly believe Occam's Razor, that the simplest answer is usually the correct one. That is how I'm approaching this subject. I see it as a tearing down of the curtains that BW/JM have put up to hide their deception. It really is easy to figure out their motives here, mostly because they are very inept at covering their tracks. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes or Miss Marple to figure it out. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Time to re-state the FACTS. The Atlantis movie was never going to be made. Joe never had a say in it

What you call "speculation" I call "deductive reasoning". I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I firmly believe Occam's Razor, that the simplest answer is usually the correct one. That is how I'm approaching this subject. I see it as a tearing down of the curtains that BW/JM have put up to hide their deception. It really is easy to figure out their motives here, mostly because they are very inept at covering their tracks. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes or Miss Marple to figure it out. ;)

EXHIBIT A:

In this screenshot (and the link), you can see how Joe was informed of the cancellation of Atlantis. He was not in on the conference call with MGM which resulted in the cancellation, he was informed by Brad Wright of the decision...AFTER THE FACT. Also, you can read and see how he is not a decision maker in this at all.

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/2008/09/exclusive-qa-with-joe-mallozzi/

Capture.PNG

EXHIBIT B (same interview):

Joe specifically refers to the standing SG-1 and SGA sets in Stages 5 and 6, and the interview clearly states that it was up to Brad as to who would be put in charge of any movie. Paul Mullie and Joe were second-level writers and their boss was Brad. Joe was never put in charge of any movie project and nothing was done with his Extinction script after SGU went into production.

Capture2.PNG

Since the publication of that article on Sept 9 2008, new sets for SGU have been built on those same soundstages which used to hold the standing sets for SG-1 and Atlantis. Specifically, the SGC set and its stargate were last seen as the Icarus Base set used for Air Pt 1. The SGC set no longer exists. The standing Atlantis set in Stage 6 is gone. Dismantled? Destroyed? I dont know. All I do know is that the new Destiny bridge and hydroponics bay sets are now in Stage 6.

NOT SPECULATION.

So, Joe was never put in charge of any movie project for Atlantis, Brad has not approved any progress on any Atlantis movie since Stargate Universe went into production, and that is cold hard proof that the Atlantis movie was NOT GOING TO BE MADE.

If it wasnt in pre-production, then it cannot have been put on hold which means that Joseph Mallozzi is a LYING SACK OF SHIT when he claims that the Atlantis movie has been put on hold or "shelved indefinitely".

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...istmas-marty-g-and-the-return-of-the-mailbag/

Capture3.PNG

Answer: I’m sorry to say but the cancellation puts the brakes on whatever progress the SGA movie had made in the past month, shelving it indefinitely.

That is the rub. There WASNT ANY PROGRESS over the past month or the month before that or 8 months before that. There was NO PROGRESS WHATSOEVER. So how could anything be shelved when it was never on the table to begin with? Nobody can dispute the facts.

So, the question is: WHY publish this comment all over the web? The only reason for that is to spite Atlantis fans. Joe doesnt add in that any progress made on any SG-1 film is also "shelved indefinitely". Why not? Its just as true as his other statement. This act of cowardice by Joe is pathetically transparent.

Lilith

GateFans Noob

Just Dorothy, who found the wizard behind the curtain.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
EXHIBIT A:

In this screenshot (and the link), you can see how Joe was informed of the cancellation of Atlantis. He was not in on the conference call with MGM which resulted in the cancellation, he was informed by Brad Wright of the decision...AFTER THE FACT. Also, you can read and see how he is not a decision maker in this at all.

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/2008/09/exclusive-qa-with-joe-mallozzi/

View attachment 2873

EXHIBIT B (same interview):

Joe specifically refers to the standing SG-1 and SGA sets in Stages 5 and 6, and the interview clearly states that it was up to Brad as to who would be put in charge of any movie. Paul Mullie and Joe were second-level writers and their boss was Brad. Joe was never put in charge of any movie project and nothing was done with his Extinction script after SGU went into production.

View attachment 2874

Since the publication of that article on Sept 9 2008, new sets for SGU have been built on those same soundstages which used to hold the standing sets for SG-1 and Atlantis. Specifically, the SGC set and its stargate were last seen as the Icarus Base set used for Air Pt 1. The SGC set no longer exists. The standing Atlantis set in Stage 6 is gone. Dismantled? Destroyed? I dont know. All I do know is that the new Destiny bridge and hydroponics bay sets are now in Stage 6.

NOT SPECULATION.

So, Joe was never put in charge of any movie project for Atlantis, Brad has not approved any progress on any Atlantis movie since Stargate Universe went into production, and that is cold hard proof that the Atlantis movie was NOT GOING TO BE MADE.

If it wasnt in pre-production, then it cannot have been put on hold which means that Joseph Mallozzi is a LYING SACK OF SHIT when he claims that the Atlantis movie has been put on hold or "shelved indefinitely".

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...istmas-marty-g-and-the-return-of-the-mailbag/

View attachment 2875

Answer: I’m sorry to say but the cancellation puts the brakes on whatever progress the SGA movie had made in the past month, shelving it indefinitely.

That is the rub. There WASNT ANY PROGRESS over the past month or the month before that or 8 months before that. There was NO PROGRESS WHATSOEVER. So how could anything be shelved when it was never on the table to begin with? Nobody can dispute the facts.

So, the question is: WHY publish this comment all over the web? The only reason for that is to spite Atlantis fans. Joe doesnt add in that any progress made on any SG-1 film is also "shelved indefinitely". Why not? Its just as true as his other statement. This act of cowardice by Joe is pathetically transparent.

This line is VERY telling:
I don't know. At the end of the day, I can't speak for the decision makers.
So, if he can't speak for the decision makers why has he been speaking as a decision maker this whole time? The tone, style and verbiage used on his blog to communicate with Stargate fans has been that of a decision maker.

He's talked so much shit over the last 2 years that he can't even keep his lies straight. How can something be stopped when it hasn't even been started? Has he discovered some new law of physics that we don't know about? Must be all that time he spent writing scifi.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe he jumped forward in time?

This line is VERY telling:

So, if he can't speak for the decision makers why has he been speaking as a decision maker this whole time? The tone, style and verbiage used on his blog to communicate with Stargate fans has been that of a decision maker.

He's talked so much shit over the last 2 years that he can't even keep his lies straight. How can something be stopped when it hasn't even been started? Has he discovered some new law of physics that we don't know about? Must be all that time he spent writing scifi.

EXACTLY (bolded). Brad is probably telling him to post stuff, since he is the most butthurt at the alleged "angry Atlantis fans". He probably told Mozz to post it for spite. But its backfiring. Over at Syfy and Gateworld and on Joe's blog, people are starting to get to the core of this.

Perhaps Joe went ahead into the future and made his movie, then came back and put a hold on the movie that he never started to make? Wait...

:facepalm:

P

phronsie

That's not the point. Financially they NEEDED those sets if they intended to make a movie within the past 2 years, or during the 5 season SGU story arc they had planned. Or did they expect us to wait 5 years to get an SGA movie? That would be beyond stupid for myriad reasons.

Even early on it would have been pointless to destroy the standing sets only to rebuild them within a year or two or tearing them down. The goal isn't to piss away money, it's to make money. It's clear they had no intention of making ANY SG1 or SGA movies since they tore down those sets, otherwise, why waste the money building new sets when you know you need sets for the movies in the near future? Kind of a dumb way of doing business. I sure wouldn't want to invest my money with people who are that stupid with budgets.

In light of this discussion about stage space, which I hadn't even considered when hearing about the set/props sales, was there really even any incentive for the production team to make either of the movies? I would assume that a long running (they hoped!) television series would rake in tons more bucks through advertisers whatall, than a one-off TV movie, even with DVD sales. From what you all are saying here, the cost of making the movies would have had to entail finding stage space and completely rebuilding various iconic set pieces and props, including puddlejumpers, Ronon's gun, the Atlantis gate, etc. -- would the financial return be worth the investment?

But then, I've also heard people say that the movies could have utilized the Sanctuary approach, which almost exclusively uses CGI, which would get round this problem to a good degree, I suppose, and perhaps was factored into the production team's thinking (to give those wankers any benefit of the doubt).

On a whole other note regarding these various SG-1/SGA movies -- to be honest, the whole concept was faint comfort to me from the beginning. The first SG-1 movie was pretty underwhelming, and the 2nd wasn't bad, but how could it embody the emotional richness, the subtle character development, those small throw-away but so valuable touches that only come from the time granted by an extended TV series? The 2nd SG-1 movie was fun and exciting, but it was more about the plot and touching all the high-points, and so couldn't be as satisfying as having a continually evolving series. :icon_cry:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
In light of this discussion about stage space, which I hadn't even considered when hearing about the set/props sales, was there really even any incentive for the production team to make either of the movies? I would assume that a long running (they hoped!) television series would rake in tons more bucks through advertisers whatall, than a one-off TV movie, even with DVD sales. From what you all are saying here, the cost of making the movies would have had to entail finding stage space and completely rebuilding various iconic set pieces and props, including puddlejumpers, Ronon's gun, the Atlantis gate, etc. -- would the financial return be worth the investment?

But then, I've also heard people say that the movies could have utilized the Sanctuary approach, which almost exclusively uses CGI, which would get round this problem to a good degree, I suppose, and perhaps was factored into the production team's thinking (to give those wankers any benefit of the doubt).

On a whole other note regarding these various SG-1/SGA movies -- to be honest, the whole concept was faint comfort to me from the beginning. The first SG-1 movie was pretty underwhelming, and the 2nd wasn't bad, but how could it embody the emotional richness, the subtle character development, those small throw-away but so valuable touches that only come from the time granted by an extended TV series? The 2nd SG-1 movie was fun and exciting, but it was more about the plot and touching all the high-points, and so couldn't be as satisfying as having a continually evolving series. :icon_cry:

I see your point about return on investment, but I think at the time of SGA ending they would have turned a profit on a movie, which they could have done relatively cheaply at that point. It would have definitely pulled some good ratings if it was on SyFy and probably would have done respectably in DVD sales.

As for CGI/greenscreen usage, well, they were already making use of a fair amount of that on SGA. I remember seeing a behind the scenes episode where they showed how they used it on SGA specifically. Obviously they weren't using it to the extent that Sanctuary uses it, which is a HUGE amount. And I don't see an SGA movie being acceptable if it was done totally in green screen. They would still have to have sets for many shots.

And let's not lose sight of the main point here and that's TPTB said an SGA movie was in the works. If that wasn't true then why say it at all? And if that changed why not just publicly state that the plans for the movie had been dropped? Why? Because BW and JM decided to use the carrot and stick of an SGA movie to deceive fans into supporting SGU. It really is that simple.

I can deal with a crappy ending to SGA and I can deal with not getting a movie, but I draw the line at being treated like an ignoramus who will swallow any bald face lie thrown my way.

Inara

GateFans Noob
Overmind One said:

That's what I find so interesting. Why isn't anyone commenting on the apparent lack of progress on an SG-1 film?

I think perhaps many people just assumed Atlantis would be next, due to the what seemed to be a promise of it from TPTB at the abrupt end of the show, so not many have realized what was also not happening for SG-1. Or, just as likely, after all the vitriol TPTB dumped on the previous shows and the fans, they figured it wouldn't happen, and even if they didn't, they couldn't be arsed to care if these jokers were still in charge.

I know Mallozzi said it as a lash out to those bad Atlantis fans who he claims didn't give SGU a chance because they wanted their old show back. I know a lot of fans who wanted their show back and weren't shy about saying so, but their decision to watch (or not) didn't seem to be based on the idea that another season or movie of Atlantis would magically appear whether or not SGU was still on the air.

P

phronsie

I see your point about return on investment, but I think at the time of SGA ending they would have turned a profit on a movie, which they could have done relatively cheaply at that point. It would have definitely pulled some good ratings if it was on SyFy and probably would have done respectably in DVD sales.

As for CGI/greenscreen usage, well, they were already making use of a fair amount of that on SGA. I remember seeing a behind the scenes episode where they showed how they used it on SGA specifically. Obviously they weren't using it to the extent that Sanctuary uses it, which is a HUGE amount. And I don't see an SGA movie being acceptable if it was done totally in green screen. They would still have to have sets for many shots.

And let's not lose sight of the main point here and that's TPTB said an SGA movie was in the works. If that wasn't true then why say it at all? And if that changed why not just publicly state that the plans for the movie had been dropped? Why? Because BW and JM decided to use the carrot and stick of an SGA movie to deceive fans into supporting SGU. It really is that simple.

I can deal with a crappy ending to SGA and I can deal with not getting a movie, but I draw the line at being treated like an ignoramus who will swallow any bald face lie thrown my way.

Actually, I wasn't so much making a point about the investment worthiness of making the movies as I was asking about it, cause I don't know about those things. If the movies returns wouldn't be any great shakes, then BW et al probably weren't too serious about making the movies from the very start of kicking out Atlantis, and it lends even greater weight to the theory that the promise of the movies (esp the SGA movie) was just the smoke screen thrown up by a snake-oil salesman.....

And what you say here lends even further weight; if the only way to make the investment financially worthwhile was to make the SGA movie while the props and sets were still available, then as early as the sets were struck and the props were sold they knew the movie had little future, if they already hadn't decided to give it a pass much earlier. And why pass on the SGA movie unless maybe they anticipated the monetary return on using that space for sgu would be more lucrative than keeping things in place to make the SGA movie? But if this was the case, then they are proven to be smug little ******** for goading people with the promise of something they never intended to deliver, and for using that promise as a way to bate and berate people.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Actually, I wasn't so much making a point about the investment worthiness of making the movies as I was asking about it, cause I don't know about those things. If the movies returns wouldn't be any great shakes, then BW et al probably weren't too serious about making the movies from the very start of kicking out Atlantis, and it lends even greater weight to the theory that the promise of the movies (esp the SGA movie) was just the smoke screen thrown up by a snake-oil salesman.....

And what you say here lends even further weight; if the only way to make the investment financially worthwhile was to make the SGA movie while the props and sets were still available, then as early as the sets were struck and the props were sold they knew the movie had little future, if they already hadn't decided to give it a pass much earlier. And why pass on the SGA movie unless maybe they anticipated the monetary return on using that space for sgu would be more lucrative than keeping things in place to make the SGA movie? But if this was the case, then they are proven to be smug little ******** for goading people with the promise of something they never intended to deliver, and for using that promise as a way to bate and berate people.

Ah Phronsie, such good points. I can't speak as an expert on this subject but rather simply as someone connecting the dots that Overmind has laid out. I think your assessment pretty much sums it up nicely. In the end it comes down to the lack of professionalism and the general pettiness of middle-aged men who should know better. It's actually quite sad really.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thats what I think...

And what you say here lends even further weight; if the only way to make the investment financially worthwhile was to make the SGA movie while the props and sets were still available, then as early as the sets were struck and the props were sold they knew the movie had little future, if they already hadn't decided to give it a pass much earlier. And why pass on the SGA movie unless maybe they anticipated the monetary return on using that space for sgu would be more lucrative than keeping things in place to make the SGA movie? But if this was the case, then they are proven to be smug little ******* for goading people with the promise of something they never intended to deliver, and for using that promise as a way to bate and berate people.

I think that too. I think that Brad believed SO MUCH that Stargate Universe was going to reboot the Stargate franchise and make scads of money that he risked everything to make it. He probably thought he could later make all sorts of movies...from the video clip with Brad in this thread, you can hear the burning desire in him to do movies.

S

Stonelesscutter

Now I'm even getting Overmind's comments on the Atlantis movie delivered to my email because he put em on Sci Fi Scoop! :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More places than that!

Now I'm even getting Overmind's comments on the Atlantis movie delivered to my email because he put em on Sci Fi Scoop! :facepalm:

Sure did. And lots of other places. :)

When what I have said and exposed has been debunked (it wont be), then I will shut up. But Mallozzi is LYING and he knows it. I want to PROVE it to as many fans as I can.