THE MANDALORIAN live action series

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
****GROAN****

The Mandalorian live action show will "likely have political messaging". :facepalm:. WHY would there be political messaging in a Galaxy Far Far Away????

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
****GROAN****

The Mandalorian live action show will "likely have political messaging. :facepalm:. WHY would there be political messaging in a Galaxy Far Far Away????

while i agree that there should not be obvious political messaging in entertainment, we cant escape it--anywhere, in any genre or any franchise,etc

even if it is just mild commentary, its there

and much of the time, both the message and the intensity of the message's presence in the entertainment is relative to what is/was going on in the country at the time

like stuff from the 60s and 70s echoed counter culture stuff while other shows/films went with the conservative and mainstream 'obey the system' kind of message

i choose to FOCUS ON THE STORY
----------------------------------------------------------------
and this isn't new to SW's. look at the prequels with the villains being so closely named after current conservative politicians at the time

Nute Gunray and the timing; he was a dupe for Newt Gingrich

as your post in your thread about 'was the empire right' displayed that even in a new hope, we saw people rebelling against a governmental system echoing the 70's attitude of not trusting the government and the parallel growth of people becoming independent through communal living, anarchists of varying degrees, or just the organic farming movement--all these and more were tangents of the real world movement in the US to 'rebel' against the political system after the Vietnam war and watergate, especially after the protests of the 60's harvested little change. Lucas was directly influenced by the politics and social movements of this age

the Rebel Alliance was more about a counter culture type movement that was armed and in rebellion then it was about being some kind of Jeffersonian Democracy movement

---------------------------------------------
other SWs politics :

https://www.starwars.com/news/corruption-exploitation-and-decay-the-politics-of-star-wars

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
while i agree that there should not be obvious political messaging in entertainment, we cant escape it--anywhere, in any genre or any franchise,etc

even if it is just mild commentary, its there

and much of the time, both the message and the intensity of the message's presence in the entertainment is relative to what is/was going on in the country at the time

like stuff from the 60s and 70s echoed counter culture stuff while other shows/films went with the conservative and mainstream 'obey the system' kind of message

i choose to FOCUS ON THE STORY
----------------------------------------------------------------
and this isn't new to SW's. look at the prequels with the villains being so closely named after current conservative politicians at the time

Nute Gunray and the timing; he was a dupe for Newt Gingrich

as your post in your thread about 'was the empire right' displayed that even in a new hope, we saw people rebelling against a governmental system echoing the 70's attitude of not trusting the government and the parallel growth of people becoming independent through communal living, anarchists of varying degrees, or just the organic farming movement--all these and more were tangents of the real world movement in the US to 'rebel' against the political system after the Vietnam war and watergate, especially after the protests of the 60's harvested little change. Lucas was directly influenced by the politics and social movements of this age

the Rebel Alliance was more about a counter culture type movement that was armed and in rebellion then it was about being some kind of Jeffersonian Democracy movement

---------------------------------------------
other SWs politics :

https://www.starwars.com/news/corruption-exploitation-and-decay-the-politics-of-star-wars

Inserting politics into Star Wars, Star Trek, the MCU and Terminator and other entertainment which is non-political at it's core is DESTROYING the vehicles they are being injected into, just like poison. There are no arguments that can be made in favor of this. Get woke, go broke. We are seeing it with the biggest franchises.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm really liking this...

This show could do very very well for Star Wars. It has the advantage of being a new character, in a familiar outfit. Different enough to not be confused with Boba Fett, and way more fleshed out. It isn't a hero's journey, it isn't about Jedi or Sith or organized criminals like the Hutts and the Trade Federation. He is original enough to be successful without any connection to Boba Fett. They need to give this Mandalorian a name.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Has anyone watched this yet? Its GOOD. Feels like Star Wars, looks like Star Wars, and the writing is much better than what we see in the sequel trilogy. The format they are using could carry this show for several seasons. And this Mandalorian is somehow cooler to me than Boba Fett. At no time are you reminded of Boba, which to me is a good thing. :) The music is a bit off, very Disney-ish. But not at all a dealbreaker. I am looking forward to more. Still not sure if this show is justification to subscribe to Disney Plus, so I will be watching it on Kodi or elsewhere after my trial is over. Also, Disney Plus crashed on it's first day! They fixed it after several hours.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I tried to say that I thought these new TV(can we still call it TV?) shows would be far better and very well received by the fanbase.

i think i said something like this in the first post of this thread

i saw a few reviews and it sounds interesting. i didn't expect much from one ep, it is a series after all, got to pace it out

BTW , i looked at the DISNEY+ offering on my ROKUtv. i didn;'t see hulu in there with the disney and marvel/fox/ sw's stuff

is it only in international markets they are offering hulu? i did see it advertised with hulu a few months back, but that may have been from a non us YTuber

not a deal breaker, just a couple of shows on hulu are of interest to me. i canceled my hulu last yr, wasn't worth it and a very clumsy navigation it had.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
also, i said a while back that i can easily foresee either Dave Filoni or Jon Favreau, or both, being promoted to make SWs movies

i dont think we need any more movies, imo series' can tell far deeper and richer stories as they are not limited to 2 -3 hrs of screen time.

i say this here, because a saw that GARY GUY AT NERDROTIC say something similar in a vid he put up on MANDALORIAN yesterday

there are a lot of similarities with what he says there and what we say here. sometimes it is what we say here, but the inverse in opinion..maybe he's getting his ideas here! :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
also, i said a while back that i can easily foresee either Dave Filoni or Jon Favreau, or both, being promoted to make SWs movies

i dont think we need any more movies, imo series' can tell far deeper and richer stories as they are not limited to 2 -3 hrs of screen time.

i say this here, because a saw that GARY GUY AT NERDROTIC say something similar in a vid he put up on MANDALORIAN yesterday

there are a lot of similarities with what he says there and what we say here. sometimes it is what we say here, but the inverse in opinion..maybe he's getting his ideas here! :) :)
You can definitely get the Dave Filoni vibe in this first episode. You didn't say if you had seen it or not, but I did and it's excellent. I don't think TROS is going to do well, despite the goodness of The Mandalorian. And yeah, I have thought about Gary perhaps lurking here, because I am a regular subscriber to his channel and participate in his livestreams. No matter, I like the guy!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't think TROS is going to do well, despite the goodness of The Mandalorian
to me, these new films are so far detached in style and content from the tv shows.there is no comparison

the shows, CW's, rebels and this as well as ROGUE ONE, even SOLO as bad as it was, are very different from these new trilogy films

to me and others i have read or interacted with, the new films are just like some kind of filler. some mandatory stuff that someone at the top wanted done-- just because. and though i understand the gist and plot of each of them, they are made with some kind of phony 'appeal to all' element that just makes them cringy.

cant really define the difference between them and the other shows/R1, but it is a definite and distinct one

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
to me, these new films are so far detached in style and content from the tv shows.there is no comparison

the shows, CW's, rebels and this as well as ROGUE ONE, even SOLO as bad as it was, are very different from these new trilogy films

to me and others i have read or interacted with, the new films are just like some kind of filler. some mandatory stuff that someone at the top wanted done-- just because. and though i understand the gist and plot of each of them, they are made with some kind of phony 'appeal to all' element that just makes them cringy.

cant really define the difference between them and the other shows/R1, but it is a definite and distinct one

The Mandalorian proved to me that Star Wars works best on TV. The production values are very high. Also there was way more attention paid to the writing than the special effects (which were also awesome). In this show, the special effects are used to create the atmosphere, not to make you go "wow!". It is instantly recognizable as Star Wars. We will not need to see any Jedi or Sith in this show. I am not sure where in the SW timeline the show takes place, but they have mentioned the Empire in it. The ending was just so cool, and it showed me a side of the Mandalorian that makes him instantly likeable. This is a hero's journey, just like it should be.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am not sure where in the SW timeline the show takes place
i believe it is 5 yrs after ROTJ

We will not need to see any Jedi or Sith in this show.
another thing i have been saying all along in mulitple SW's threads

the SW's galaxy is a big one, the wars were fought by far more everyday ppl then jedi and sith

put it this way, if it were the US military as the republics in the prequels, the jedi would be like Delta force. a bunch of highly trained operators who fight on their own or as advisors/leaders to other militaries or other army or us units.

the majority of the wars are fought by the rest of the army, marines, navy and air force..all ppl with training but with nothing overly specialized

even the storm troopers/clone troopers would be like our Rangers. a larger specialized force but still nothing compared to the main

and all the smugglers, mercenaries, bounty hunters, force worshipers, ,etc,etc,etc. who all exist and the stories they have to tell

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and its pretty clear from the type of fan films being made and have been made for awhile now

most of them focus on action, with little to no mention/use of jedi and sith or Skywalkers or Solo's

this is the same kind of stuff fans want to see made officially, like with Trek fan films, they should dictate to the studios what ppl want to see. YT is filled with it. they are some jedi/sith things as well, doesn't seem to be as much though

but in the case of the new SW's trilogy and stuff like Trek Discovery, the studios have not paid attn to fans. you know this, you talk about it all the time.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I LOVE THIS SHOW! This Mandalorian show is a winner so far. I absolutely love it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Having Jon Favreau run it is making a difference.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Star Wars fans jubilant at the release of a non Skywalker Star Wars trailer!!

I told there was a reason for the 'jubilation'! :)

even with that puny length first look clip I posted, ppl can tell the difference between what these big budget directors and writers were doing with the new trilogy and with this (and rebels, CW's, resistance Rogue 1) Favreau, Filoni, even Edwards, are all far less well known-and therefore command less adulation and cash- and have all done far better jobs then Abrams and Howard and the lot have done. they all know they will work again no matter how bad a job they do, where with these other guys, they really don't have that rep yet, so what they make must be good or they won't direct again

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
they could have just left all reference to the force out of this, it is not necessary

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Jon Favreau actually does have the rep. He did films such as Iron Man and Elf.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Jon Favreau actually does have the rep. He did films such as Iron Man and Elf.

and those were good...doesn't matter, rep or no, these ppl should be the ones making any movies in the future

personally i would like for disney to not make any more SW's films. so much more can be done with a series

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
and those were good...doesn't matter, rep or no, these ppl should be the ones making any movies in the future

personally i would like for disney to not make any more SW's films. so much more can be done with a series

I'm right with you on that one, bro! Star Wars works MUCH better as a TV series than in movies. Such a grand universe it exists in. So many worlds, so many races of aliens and cultures to explore! In many ways, Star wars has more creative freedom than scifi shows like The Expanse and Star Trek because of already established elements like The Force and planet killer weapons and mechanized characters. Doing a series on just a single character or a small group of characters works just as well, as we have seen in The Clone Wars and Rebels. I want the first live action Ashoka to appear in a TV series, not a movie.