THE LEFTOVERS==believe this show got another season?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That is, don't just assume it is some show based on any sense of christian "rapture". I think that the TPTB's want the viewer to assume that though

In the HBO "making of.." special they had a physicist talking about string theory and multiple dimensions that, he said' could be theoretically possible for those who dissappeared to have "slipped" between dimensions

also, those that went missing do not all fit the biblical qualifications for rapture (a discussion which is a part of the plot) it was more a random event

only 1 ep out so can't really say much about it yet though, but it is HBO and they tend to make fairly decent shows (in the execution)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That is, don't just assume it is some show based on any sense of christian "rapture". I think that the TPTB's want the viewer to assume that though

In the HBO "making of.." special they had a physicist talking about string theory and multiple dimensions that, he said' could be theoretically possible for those who dissappeared to have "slipped" between dimensions

also, those that went missing do not all fit the biblical qualifications for rapture (a discussion which is a part of the plot) it was more a random event

only 1 ep out so can't really say much about it yet though, but it is HBO and they tend to make fairly decent shows (in the execution)

I wonder why these producers are going to religion for inspiration of shows? It could be that most of the remaining cable viewers are known to be late adopters of technology and are represented by the same demographic that still buys newspapers, is conservative, is most likely Republican, and is over 30 years of age.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryma...abandoning-cable-and-satellite-for-streaming/

Young adults more likely to have Zero TV

As you’d expect, the Nielsen study found that younger adults were much more likely to live in zero TV households than people over 44. Cost was a factor for 36 percent of these homes, but 31 percent of these non-TV households cited “lack of interest.” Just as many in my generation jettisoned their antennas in favor of cable, many younger adults are dropping cable or satellite in favor of Internet TV.

This leaves the older crowd to watch cable shows, and a large part of those older folks are also conservative and religious. Even the quintessential MTV is bleeding audience (this from 2012):

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/10/31/mtv-comedy-central-shrinking-audiences

Here's a hint: one channel features a "news" duo who famously tilt to the left, while the other is known for foisting The Situation and Snooki on an unsuspecting public.

Comedy Central's prime-time audience fell 19% in the four weeks through Oct. 21 (2012), while MTV's viewership declined 32% in the same period, according to Nielsen.Signs of slight ratings erosion were evident at both channels earlier this year, but the recent numbers show a much greater decline. So far this year, Comedy Central's average daily viewership is down 10% while MTV's is off 18%. Nickelodeon's audience, meanwhile, is down 23% for the year to date although the drop-off in September was narrower than in previous months....

MTV's ratings falloff has come even before the channel loses its popular "Jersey Shore." The reality show is in its last season and the network hasn't developed any monster hits to replace it.

In 2014, things are dismal for cable. But only on cable, broadcast TV and broadcast radio to advertisers have a way to FORCE advertising on listeners/viewer. Online, people can ignore banner ads, and video ads can be closed before they even play. YouTube has video ads, but you can skip most of them after about 10 seconds. The ones that do not allow skipping have fewer viewing numbers by far. What is the solution? Who knows...but it is not going to happen on cable, that is for sure. I predict that cable programming will cease, and everything will be online. Perhaps as a paid "channel" (website access like Netflix), which would allow subscribers to access their channels on their mobile devices and tablets and computers. I think that program "lineups" will disappear, and that on demand selections will replace programming. How this will happen is anyone's guess, but cable is dying.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I wonder why these producers are going to religion for inspiration of shows? It could be that most of the remaining cable viewers are known to be late adopters of technology and are represented by the same demographic that still buys newspapers, is conservative, is most likely Republican, and is over 30 years of age.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryma...abandoning-cable-and-satellite-for-streaming/

This leaves the older crowd to watch cable shows, and a large part of those older folks are also conservative and religious. Even the quintessential MTV is bleeding audience (this from 2012):

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/10/31/mtv-comedy-central-shrinking-audiences

In 2014, things are dismal for cable. But only on cable, broadcast TV and broadcast radio to advertisers have a way to FORCE advertising on listeners/viewer. Online, people can ignore banner ads, and video ads can be closed before they even play. YouTube has video ads, but you can skip most of them after about 10 seconds. The ones that do not allow skipping have fewer viewing numbers by far. What is the solution? Who knows...but it is not going to happen on cable, that is for sure. I predict that cable programming will cease, and everything will be online. Perhaps as a paid "channel" (website access like Netflix), which would allow subscribers to access their channels on their mobile devices and tablets and computers. I think that program "lineups" will disappear, and that on demand selections will replace programming. How this will happen is anyone's guess, but cable is dying.

Yeah but right here in your response, you just MAY be proving me (possibly) correct

You have assumed they are "inspired" by rapture theology, but according to that, only those pure, without sin (they have confessed-catholic, protestant, etc) and of the CHRISTIAN FAITH are supposedly going to be raptured

This is not the case in this show

One of the characters is "researching" just who was "disappeared"; some "make sense" the Pope, big time charity ppl, infants, etc. But then there are others who make no "christian/rapture" sense to include ppl of other religions (even muzzies! :icon_e_surprised: :anim_59:)

So "religion" is out

Plus the fact that as I stated in the "making of THE LEFTOVERS doc" on HBO- they had physicists speaking on string theory and how it would be theoretically possible under that for ppl and things to "slip dimensions"

So I am thinking with that info and the plot, that it is not religious/rapture based

Most of the characters in the show do not even talk about it being "THE RAPTURE" just some kind of disappearance (the govt has established a bureau on "disappeared affairs/research")

This event has inspired some non christian, disappearance inspired cults though--as in the disappearance is the point of 'worship'

Also, the event has caused many dogs to go wild but only those who 'witnessed' ppl disappearing--other wildlife has also been affected==again, animals not mentioned as christian rapture affecteds in bible

OF COURSE, it is just the beginning and I am only "placing a bet" so to speak but I am saying this is going string theory sci fi (unless they focus on the personal drama instead)

and HBO is a paid service with HBO GO available on many mobile devices as on demand/pay to play.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the HBO "making of" special

talk of Bermuda triangle, alt dimensions and slipping (disappearing), Roanoke disappearance, the vanishing of Louis La Prince
(Suspicious disappearance[edit]
In September 1890, Le Prince was preparing to go back to the UK to patent his new camera, to be followed by a trip to the US to promote it. Before his journey, he decided to return home and visit friends and family. Having done so, he left Bourges on 13 September to visit his brother in Dijon. He would then take the 16 September train to Paris, but when the train arrived, his friends discovered that Le Prince was not on board.[10] He was never seen again by his family or friends.[1] No luggage or corpse was found in the Dijon-Paris express, nor along the railway. No one saw Le Prince at the Dijon station, except his brother. No one saw Le Prince in the Dijon–Paris express after he was seen boarding it. No one noticed any strange behaviour or aggression in the Dijon-Paris express)
--tying these events to the show(?)

at 5:00 reasons why it isn't (most likely) the :rapture:

at 5:45 scientific possibilities discussed by physicist; transformation of matter, etc, etc

I am thinking if it was destined to be a "religious" show then the there would be no science talk and we would see no real world physicist discussing the possibilities

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I heard in the book it never tells what happened. I suspect the show will be much the same.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the HBO "making of" special

talk of Bermuda triangle, alt dimensions and slipping (disappearing), Roanoke disappearance, the vanishing of Louis La Prince
(Suspicious disappearance[edit]
In September 1890, Le Prince was preparing to go back to the UK to patent his new camera, to be followed by a trip to the US to promote it. Before his journey, he decided to return home and visit friends and family. Having done so, he left Bourges on 13 September to visit his brother in Dijon. He would then take the 16 September train to Paris, but when the train arrived, his friends discovered that Le Prince was not on board.[10] He was never seen again by his family or friends.[1] No luggage or corpse was found in the Dijon-Paris express, nor along the railway. No one saw Le Prince at the Dijon station, except his brother. No one saw Le Prince in the Dijon–Paris express after he was seen boarding it. No one noticed any strange behaviour or aggression in the Dijon-Paris express)
--tying these events to the show(?)

at 5:00 reasons why it isn't (most likely) the :rapture:

at 5:45 scientific possibilities discussed by physicist; transformation of matter, etc, etc

I am thinking if it was destined to be a "religious" show then the there would be no science talk and we would see no real world physicist discussing the possibilities

:bored: This sounds like a Rapture story. The guy said that he hopes people for ignore the reason why the people disappeared, and instead get into the people. NOT. GOING. TO. WORK. That is the same premise as Dominion. And they are talking about religion very heavily in your clip.

Young people in the "Millenials" generation are less than 40% religious. It will fail for the same reason Dominion will fail.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
:bored: This sounds like a Rapture story. The guy said that he hopes people for ignore the reason why the people disappeared, and instead get into the people. NOT. GOING. TO. WORK. That is the same premise as Dominion. And they are talking about religion very heavily in your clip.

Young people in the "Millenials" generation are less than 40% religious. It will fail for the same reason Dominion will fail.

and they are also talking a lot of science and real world unexplained disappearances that have no connection to religion

we'll just have to wait and see where the story goes

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
and they are also talking a lot of science and real world unexplained disappearances that have no connection to religion

we'll just have to wait and see where the story goes

I know, I know, I'm a cynic, but honestly I don't ever see the writers explaining what exactly happened. They are gonna milk the "mystery" until the show ends. It's so obvious that Vegas wouldn't take odds on it.

And you know, I'm really sick and tired of these shows that start after a catastrophic even has occurred: plague, zombie outbreak, alien attack, the Rapture, etc. How am I supposed to give a hard turd about these characters when I'm not shown any context? All they do is tell us what happened and then go right to the human drama. Ho hum.
:bored:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know, I know, I'm a cynic, but honestly I don't ever see the writers explaining what exactly happened. They are gonna milk the "mystery" until the show ends. It's so obvious that Vegas wouldn't take odds on it.

And you know, I'm really sick and tired of these shows that start after a catastrophic even has occurred: plague, zombie outbreak, alien attack, the Rapture, etc. How am I supposed to give a hard turd about these characters when I'm not shown any context? All they do is tell us what happened and then go right to the human drama. Ho hum.

Exactly. That is GAME thinking, not storytelling. In games, the context of gameplay is arbitrary and you never get to know how or why your context exists. You are told who you are, who the others are and what to do. In a game, it works because the object is to accomplish some goal set by the game. Why do writers think that people are just going to love the characters and ignore the context? Defiance, Falling Skies, The Walking Dead and Dominion are all set up like this. Contrasted by (horrible) Helix, (awesome) Continuum, The Last Ship and Under The Dome where we get to see the forming of the context, even if all of the blanks are not filled in. We see the "nexus moment".

I will not watch this show. But I will read about it on this thread!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What's sgu? :daniel_new004:

You want to hear something sad? SGU is more watchable in a rewatch than Defiance is for a new episode not even seen. But this one, even the name of it is a turnoff.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You want to hear something sad? SGU is more watchable in a rewatch than Defiance is for a new episode not even seen. But this one, even the name of it is a turnoff.

You're right. The name of "The Leftovers" is atrocious. It wouldn't even make a good sitcom name.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Yes that is perturbing (but strictly speaking we do view the day of the disappearances)

related to this. last week, Bill Maher had on Max Brooks (I did not he was Mel's son) to plug his new book. Of course Bill asked him about WWZ and how Brooks has been hired by the Dept of Navy to lecture officers on handling catastrophe, etc, etc

Bill asked him (also because he had on a bacteriologist at the beginning and our overuse of anti-bio's) if he thought if something like a zombie outbreak could happen (I guess like some super rabies thing?)

Brooks said it didn't matter, that he wrote WWZ with the zombie virus just being allegory for any disaster

I thought that was a huge cop out in the vein of what you just said

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I heard in the book it never tells what happened. I suspect the show will be much the same.

That is the formula. Start out right after the "disaster", and jump right to the interpersonal drama. Watching the clip the guy says clearly that his hopes are that the audience ignores the reason for the "catastrophe" and instead focuses on the characters. Why would anybody do that? The context is just as important as the characters. Maybe even moreso. I need to know that the reason people disappeared was not the Rapture and was something which makes more sense.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I was about ready to reach for a gun and blow my brain out onto the couch 20 minutes into this show. I was bored nearly to death.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The proper solution for this stuff is to reach out and.....change the proverbial channel.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was about ready to reach for a gun and blow my brain out onto the couch 20 minutes into this show. I was bored nearly to death.

Maybe that is why the people are disappearing? They are watching the show, and then they drop dead from boredom! :)