Star Trek New Voyages - The Holiest Thing

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am talking about this particular episode. It's BAD. The acting is cheesy.

It's that new Kirk. He is a wimp and seems more like a redshirt playing Captain rather than any sort of leader. He has ZERO presence. At least Cawley knew how to pull of the manly leader of a starship. But his persona was just not a match for dealing with alien females or being humorous. He was channeling Shatner a lot. This new captain looks more like Kirk, but only from the neck up. The rest of him is soft and weak looking and his voice and manner are too meek and timid. The actress who played Carol Marcus was more convincing, and she seemed more self-confident than the new Kirk.

Still the BEST Kirk is over at Star Trek Continues. He is the whole package. I wish these two projects would merge.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actual first contact with the Ferengi (stated as such in the episode) was in TNG in season one "The Last Outpost". That does mean this fan episode has a canon issue as it has a fully stated first contact (even identifying the race) occurring long before hand. But it is a quibble.

I fully agree that their current Kirk comes off as a man-child. But on the other hand Star Trek Continues has a terrible Spock.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actual first contact with the Ferengi (stated as such in the episode) was in TNG in season one "The Last Outpost". That does mean this fan episode has a canon issue as it has a fully stated first contact (even identifying the race) occurring long before hand. But it is a quibble.

I fully agree that their current Kirk comes off as a man-child. But on the other hand Star Trek Continues has a terrible Spock.

The Ferengi in this episode were only a means to get protomatter. Only one individual on Marcus' team contacted them. Agreed on STC Spock! They need the New Voyages Spock with the STC Kirk, Scotty, McCoy, Uhura, Checkhov and Sulu. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
First contact, as defined by the federation charter is made in Outpost, yes.
The first -actual- contact in timeline of Trek is in Little green men as OM stated (DS9), then the Episode of ENT (as Jim noted), then Ep with the Battle of Maxia (TNG), and -official- contact in The Last Outpost (as you noted).
None of these a "fan episodes", nor "quibbles"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Ferengi in this episode were only a means to get protomatter. Only one individual on Marcus' team contacted them. Agreed on STC Spock! They need the New Voyages Spock with the STC Kirk, Scotty, McCoy, Uhura, Checkhov and Sulu. :)

It wasn't just the person on Marcus team. Kirk interacted with them and they were identified as Ferengi right on the bridge of the Enterprise, so they do have a canon issue. The only way they don't is if neither Kirk nor Marcus identity the Ferengi in any way in any of their logs and reports covering the research station disaster.

And yes Enterprise has the same issue unless Archer for some strange reason made no log entry of the incident.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It wasn't just the person on Marcus team. Kirk interacted with them and they were identified as Ferengi right on the bridge of the Enterprise, so they do have a canon issue. The only way they don't is if neither Kirk nor Marcus identity the Ferengi in any way in any of their logs and reports covering the research station disaster.

And yes Enterprise has the same issue unless Archer for some strange reason made no log entry of the incident.

I think another thing needs to be mentioned, is the fact that many Trek fans do not consider Enterprise to be hard canon because they trampled it the most. More than any of the fan series or movies or actual TV shows. I think I have mentioned that here before. Before Abrams NuTrek, Enterprise was NuTrek. From the design and features of the ship to the aliens in the show (and their behaviors), to the Xindi. There are way more canon issues with Enterprise than any of the fan episodes from New Voyages or ST Continues.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think another thing needs to be mentioned, is the fact that many Trek fans do not consider Enterprise to be hard canon because they trampled it the most. More than any of the fan series or movies or actual TV shows. I think I have mentioned that here before. Before Abrams NuTrek, Enterprise was NuTrek. From the design and features of the ship to the aliens in the show (and their behaviors), to the Xindi. There are way more canon issues with Enterprise than any of the fan episodes from New Voyages or ST Continues.
Indeed!

As I have stated in the past the entire fourth season was basically a giant project to try to fit Enterprise into the canon. It was partially successful :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Indeed!

As I have stated in the past the entire fourth season was basically a giant project to try to fit Enterprise into the canon. It was partially successful :D

The last season was it's best by far, and you are right...they were trying their best to bend to the demands of the fans because by that time the ratings had tanked and Paramount had been inundated with fan campaign letters telling them that Enterprise was not "real Trek". It was the fans who made them change the title sequence to say "Star Trek: Enterprise" instead of just "Enterprise". They schooled Braga on Vulcans and made them fix T'Pol and explain her non-Vulcan behaviors away. They brought the Traveler into the show to give them a Deus Ex Machina when needed to change past (and future) events. I now like Enterprise, because we have Abrams Trek to hate on. :anim_59:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I like all the actors and characters on STC as well as their acting, plus they have Chris Doohan. I especially liked Spock in "Fairest of them All".

Bluce Ree

What I find hilarious is they are so true to the original series formula that they even use the same fight choreography as the original series. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What I find hilarious is they are so true to the original series formula that they even use the same fight choreography as the original series. :icon_lol:

Most def! To me, STC has way more Trek cred than any of the reboot movies or ST Enterprise. The completion of the ORIGINAL 5-year mission is going to come from STC and nobody else. And they are already beyond the production values of the original. :)

Bluce Ree

Most def! To me, STC has way more Trek cred than any of the reboot movies or ST Enterprise. The completion of the ORIGINAL 5-year mission is going to come from STC and nobody else. And they are already beyond the production values of the original. :)

I wish they would update the tech, though. The idea that a starship or shuttle has nothing but a console of blinking lights and giant colored knobs is really just a relic of the period in which it was conceived.

By the way, the gag reels are hilarious!

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wish they would update the tech, though. The idea that a starship or shuttle has nothing but a console of blinking lights and giant colored knobs is really just a relic of the period in which it was conceived.

By the way, the gag reels are hilarious!

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

LMAO @ the colored flashing lights and big knobs.! There are episodes where you can actually see Uhura looking her her flashing lights and saying that they tell her this or that. And Spock, looking at his colored flashing lights and saying his sensors detect neutrinos and flux and shit. just LOL! At least we got computerized dummy consoles in TNG

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I've been reading online that New Voyages has ceased production. James Cawley was the owner and producer and has decided not to make fan films anymore it seems.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've been reading online that New Voyages has ceased production. James Cawley was the owner and producer and has decided not to make fan films anymore it seems.

I meant to post that last night. They stopped in 2015. The standing sets have been made into a tour. Meanwhile, Star Trek Continues appears to have legs financially. HOW it does that surprises me because they cannot sell anything. The actors do the Star Trek conventions too.