Scientists make teleportation breakthrough

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Boffins from Japan and Australia have made a huge scientific breakthrough by successfully teleporting packets of light from one area to another.

The mind-bending project, led by Noriyuki Lee at the University of Tokyo, could lead to the creation of super-powerful quantum computers and revolutionise the telecommunications industry.
The team managed to teleport wave packets of light by destroying them in one place and re-creating them in another.
It's an incredible process that means transmitting large volumes of complex quantum information could be quicker than is currently possible.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110415/tsc-scientists-make-teleportation-breakt-98fda55.html

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
And here I thought that parents had figured this out aeons ago...

"If you don't knock that off, I'm going to knock you into next week!"

Oh, wait. That's right. They discovered time travel!

;)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
with the heisenberg's uncertainty principle, isn't teleportation of people just impractical? But it's cool they're exploring star trek stuff, think aussies did some tractor beam stuff a few months ago.

Tropicana

Council Member
The key word there is "destroying" ;)
Indeed, besides I expect major data packets to degrade over time with it being destroyed and recreated. The packet may be "new" but the quality of the subsequent data I say would degrade.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
How about standing on a transporter pad and listening to the operator say: "Oh, dear, you're still here? Wait a minute, you'll be happy to hear that your copy has safely arrived at your destination and has given us the OK to destroy his original. Please stand by while we disintegrate you..." :)

I didn't like it the first time around, but I have really come to appreciate the ST:Voyager episode "Tuvix". Watch it if you haven't yet!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
How about standing on a transporter pad and listening to the operator say: "Oh, dear, you're still here? Wait a minute, you'll be happy to hear that your copy has safely arrived at your destination and has given us the OK to destroy his original. Please stand by while we disintegrate you..." :)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Mental green

G

Graybrew1

I didn't like it the first time around, but I have really come to appreciate the ST:Voyager episode "Tuvix". Watch it if you haven't yet!

That is just sick. sick funny that is.:D I can't seem to green anyone right now either, or you would have got some for this.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
And here I thought that parents had figured this out aeons ago...

"If you don't knock that off, I'm going to knock you into next week!"

Oh, wait. That's right. They discovered time travel!

;)

:laughing:

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
That was the plot of one of the new Outer Limits episodes, awhile back. Heh!

Tuvix was pretty cool. :)

G

Graybrew1

That was the plot of one of the new Outer Limits episodes, awhile back. Heh!

Tuvix was pretty cool. :)

I would love to rewatch it. That is one of the only series that is not running in syndication anywhere on my tv. I want my Voyager reruns, darn it. :(