Renewal and Cancellation news

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Dude, SGU was NOT "garenteed" a S2, stop saying it was.
Craig tweeted that, Mozzie had a spit, and Craig went on to tweet that Mozzie was probably right. What *probably* happened and will *probably* happen here is that the rating's required to actually get the second season will be so stupidly low that even re-runs of TNG could get them............

Here, this is from the Forbes article you linked a little ago:

The question will be, at what point does it loose it's "leader" status and just become a loss?

Ok more important stuff--to me at least :rolleye0014:

how did you get a qte box with "forbes said"? petty i know- just irritates the crap out of me that I can't find the damn button to do this with

also--i knew how to do this in the old system-but how can i directly put in a vid from a site other then YT?

:grumpy:

is there any type of "tutorial" for assh*le techless ppl like me on here?

thx

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Craig tweeted that, Mozzie had a spit, and Craig went on to tweet that Mozzie was probably right. What *probably* happened and will *probably* happen here is that the rating's required to actually get the second season will be so stupidly low that even re-runs of TNG could get them............

Here, this is from the Forbes article you linked a little ago:

The question will be, at what point does it loose it's "leader" status and just become a loss?

It most certainly was, and you participated in the thread where it was discussed here:

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/syfy-answers-gws-bogus-open-letter.24514/#post-782125

Craig Engler - Syfy Executive VP said:
Because Stargate SG-1 and had performed so well for us in the past, we felt confident about SGU and committed to a two-season deal for it, as long as the show met certain milestones along the way. Two-season deals are rare in the TV world because they tie up a huge amount of investment (both time and money), but our great track record with MGM and Stargate made this seem like as much of a sure thing as you’ll get in the TV business. That means before any footage was shot or any actors were hired, we knew there’d be 40 episodes.

;)
--- merged: Apr 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM ---
Ok more important stuff--to me at least :rolleye0014:

how did you get a qte box with "forbes said"? petty i know- just irritates the crap out of me that I can't find the damn button to do this with

also--i knew how to do this in the old system-but how can i directly put in a vid from a site other then YT?

:grumpy:

is there any type of "tutorial" for assh*le techless ppl like me on here?

thx

Just tell us what you want to do and we can post instructions easily. Ho to the How-To forum to post your requests. Where possible, we will provide step by step instructions. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It most certainly was, and you participated in the thread where it was discussed here:
Indeed I did!
Craig said:
Because Stargate SG-1 and had performed so well for us in the past, we felt confident about SGU and committed to a two-season deal for it, as long as the show met certain milestones along the way. Two-season deals are rare in the TV world because they tie up a huge amount of investment (both time and money), but our great track record with MGM and Stargate made this seem like as much of a sure thing as you’ll get in the TV business. That means before any footage was shot or any actors were hired, we knew there’d be 40 episodes.
To which I replied:
Moi said:
The "deal", from what I can determine is "perform better than the SGA finale on average and you get season 2" A stupid deal in hindsight, yet it highlights the position of Syfy giving SGU every chance it possibly could have. It is a "spin article" to be sure, but no where near as bad as it could have been, Craig may have done a few doughnuts sure, but the GW letters were more like a carousel.

I did not deviate from that position over the entire thread.

Yongjin said:

All you do is use your normal quote= whatever you want dude. you can pretty much quote anyone you want.

For example
myleftnut said:
Long time no see
myrightnut said:

See, I can quote anyone Muhahahahaha!!!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not one to propound "conspiracy theory" type stuff but the signs do seem to point towards DEFIANCE having a secured multi-season deal in place. There's just too much money and "product" invested in this venture to be risked on a single season. In these hard times few entities are going to risk their capital on something that is so unsound. They'd insist on a guarantee of production length, if not for first run ratings-profits but also for post-airing DVD sales and game sales, etc.

*If I'm wrong and DEFIANCE only has one season I will be surprised and a bit shocked, mostly because I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to risk such money in this day and age.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I'm not one to propound "conspiracy theory" type stuff but the signs do seem to point towards DEFIANCE having a secured multi-season deal in place. There's just too much money and "product" invested in this venture to be risked on a single season. In these hard times few entities are going to risk their capital on something that is so unsound. They'd insist on a guarantee of production length, if not for first run ratings-profits but also for post-airing DVD sales and game sales, etc.

*If I'm wrong and DEFIANCE only has one season I will be surprised and a bit shocked, mostly because I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to risk such money in this day and age.
Spot on!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/syfy-answers-gws-bogus-open-letter.24514/#post-782125

--- merged: Apr 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM ---

Just tell us what you want to do and we can post instructions easily. Ho to the How-To forum to post your requests. Where possible, we will provide step by step instructions. :)

ok posting ? now
--- merged: Apr 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM ---
Indeed I did!

To which I replied:

All you do is use your normal quote= whatever you want dude. you can pretty much quote anyone you want.

For example

Ok, but what button on screen did you click to be able to type "my left nut said?"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ok, but what button on screen did you click to be able to type "my left nut said?"

Ok, if you reply to this, have a look at the first line it will have the "[" then the word quote, then equals sign. You can write whatever words you want after that equals sign and as long as you close it again with another "]" WITHOUT the quotation marks, you're good.

It's not a button really, it's using the "protocol" (right word??) of the forum.

Me said:
Is that right?
Myself said:
Yeah, I think so
I said:
Just get the dude to hit the more options button, so he can see how it works FFS!!

Hope that helps dude :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Indeed I did!

To which I replied:

For example

Well, those "milestones" must have been very very minor, because by the time SGU ended it's first season, the viewership was less than half of the premiere. SGU got its second season anyway. This show cannot hope to return any investment in a single season and some insider folks have said that Defiance got two years from the start. I wish we could get that confirmed in writing, but none of my sources will do that. Perhaps Craig Engler himself will answer a tweet?
--- merged: Apr 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM ---

I know a couple of people at Comcast, and they own Syfy now. They have told me that they heard Defiance will get a MINIMUM of two years, and that the game took five years to develop (really? waste of time). Adweek seems to support what I have heard, without stating flatly how many years this show got in its contract:

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/syfy-bets-105m-tv-series-and-video-game-147622

It makes no sense to have a "transmedia" first on TV and not guarantee that it will be given a fair chance (and at least two years). I want more concrete information. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, those "milestones" must have been very very minor, because by the time SGU ended it's first season, the viewership was less than half of the premiere.
For sure, but on a "season average" I think it pulled about 1.5-8 mil, which would have probably been cutting it *very* fine, but still ok. 12 years buys some goodwill ya?
SGU got its second season anyway. This show cannot hope to return any investment in a single season and some insider folks have said that Defiance got two years from the start. I wish we could get that confirmed in writing, but none of my sources will do that. Perhaps Craig Engler himself will answer a tweet?
I would find it *very* odd for it not to get the 2 years minimum, in fact if you look at a lot of Syfy's shows *most* of their scripted sci-fi gets at least 2 years, Caprica being the only glaring exception I can think of offhand.
To my mind, Defiance will go on as a loss leader for Syfy for as long as the game is financially viable. If in a years time the game is staring at going FTP, then the show will be toast as well.

Pity, the idea (game/show) is really quite cool, I just don't know if they picked the right vehicle to drive it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ok, if you reply to this, have a look at the first line it will have the "[" then the word quote, then equals sign. You can write whatever words you want after that equals sign and as long as you close it again with another "]" WITHOUT the quotation marks, you're good.

It's not a button really, it's using the "protocol" (right word??) of the forum.

Hope that helps dude :P

:fredflinstone:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Craig tweeted that, Mozzie had a spit, and Craig went on to tweet that Mozzie was probably right. What *probably* happened and will *probably* happen here is that the rating's required to actually get the second season will be so stupidly low that even re-runs of TNG could get them...

Reruns of TNG did pull better ratings for Syfy than the previous week's SGU episode.
--- merged: Apr 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM ---
...t makes no sense to have a "transmedia" first on TV and not guarantee that it will be given a fair chance (and at least two years). I want more concrete information. :)

Is transmedia like transsexual?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Reruns of TNG did pull better ratings for Syfy than the previous week's SGU episode.
--- merged: Apr 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM ---

Is transmedia like transsexual?

Some transsexuals are attractive...this show is just transawful. :( I thought that was funny too about TNG reruns doing better than SGU. And even now, SG-1 reruns do better than SGU. :)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Updated list due to all the recent renewals/cancellations.

ABC
Once Upon a Time - Renewed for 3rd season
666 Park Avenue - Cancelled
Last Resort - Cancelled
Zero Hour - Cancelled
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - New show
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland - New show

CBS
Meh, who cares?

NBC
Grimm - Renewed for 3rd season
Revolution - Renewed for 2nd season
Community - Renewed for 5th season
Hannibal - Tossup

FOX
Fringe - Ended
Touch - Cancelled
The Following - Renewed for 2nd season
Sleepy Hollow - New show
Almost Human - New show

CW
The Vampire Diaries - Renewed for 5th season
Arrow - Renewed for 2nd season
Supernatural - Renewed for 9th season
Beauty and the Beast - Renewed for 2nd season
Cult - Cancelled
Nikita - Renewed for 4th season
The Originals - New show

Cable
The Walking Dead - Renewed for 4th season
American Horror Story - Renewed for 3rd season
Game of Thrones - Renewed for 4th season
True Blood - Renewed for 6th season
Teen Wolf - Renewed for 3rd season
Haven - Renewed for 4th season
Lost Girl - Renewed for 4th season
Warehouse 13 - Tossup
Falling Skies - Renewed for 3rd season
Continuum - Renewal likely
Being Human (US) - Renewed for 3rd season
Primeval: New World - Cancelled
Defiance - Renewed for 2nd season

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
ESA -- Curious here about FOX's The New Normal. Last I heard it was on the bubble but I suspect it got the axe. Let me know if you hear anything.

Oddly enough I just saw a promo for Primeval: New World. SyFy is running it in June. How weird to watch a show that has already been axed. I'll give it a try though. It has Andrew Lee Potts from the British original, and he's always good. It does have that boring guy from Eureka in it though, the one who played Jo's boyfriend. I know some people think he's handsome but really he has all the appeal of a bowl of melted vanilla ice cream. Even with beer goggles on I'd be hard pressed to bring him home at bar closing time.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ESA -- Curious here about FOX's The New Normal. Last I heard it was on the bubble but I suspect it got the axe. Let me know if you hear anything.

Oddly enough I just saw a promo for Primeval: New World. SyFy is running it in June. How weird to watch a show that has already been axed. I'll give it a try though. It has Andrew Lee Potts from the British original, and he's always good. It does have that boring guy from Eureka in it though, the one who played Jo's boyfriend. I know some people think he's handsome but really he has all the appeal of a bowl of melted vanilla ice cream. Even with beer goggles on I'd be hard pressed to bring him home at bar closing time.

He is in it, but just as a cameo. Season 2 would have had him in it permanently and the show was getting good before they cancelled it. If you watched the previous Primeval's 5 seasons, you will love this new one. I with they had never cancelled primeval. :(