Mortal Kombat 2021

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Yes, we have another Warner Brothers first run film released both to theaters and streaming at the same time. So is it any good?

Well, it depends on how you define good.

Compared to the old Mortal Kombat movie this is Citizen Kane. Yes the plot is actually thinner than Kong vs Godzilla and the acting is...."okay"... I guess. But then you're not watching Mortal Kombat for deep characterizations and a complex story are you? No, you want martial arts action.

And in the arena of Martial Arts action the movie definitely delivers. It's pretty good fighting action with good choreography and fast enough to have impact but not so fast you can't follow it. And it is pretty gory also - this is definitely NOT a family film - it is rated R and earns it. There is a fair amount of CGI and it is actually not bad.

So, ultimately, is it entertaining? I thought it was; in a turn your brain to low power mode and enjoy way.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I love the original MK movie this would just ruin. I don't mind the cheesiness of the original film

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi Atlantis!

Let's be clear this new one is cheesy as well. It is an improvement in that the tone is consistent and the pacing is better and the fight choreography is better done.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh yes it is gory. Then again so was the game. The lack of gore was an issue many players had with the old movie. Me I am not a big Mortal Kombat fan in the first place - I just felt the new film was made better. YMMV.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
O my god, that IS bad!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
See why I said the new film is like Citizen Kane by comparison?