infograph explains what we'd have done with the 205 million Gal of oil if the Gulf !

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This...

GF, the US isn't "going broke". It already is! It's just that Americans haven't realized it yet... like those people who own so much on their credit cards they'll never be able to pay it back, but they still get credit and roll their debt.

The US has been broke (and heavily in debt to China) for more than 10 years now. :icon_e_confused: The reality is that the ONLY thing keeping things going is the fact that when it comes down to it, the US (and Russia) can pretty much just TAKE what they want, using the threat of nuclear annihilation as a veiled (or overt) threat. The EU, Israel, and other nations get to wield this threat by proxy because of treaties and NATO. But that will change very very quickly. The GPS system in a cellphone is accurate enough to aim a missile. Nuclear material is hard to get, but biochemical agents are plentiful. After a time, the threat of nuclear attack from another nation on the US will be real enough to change the dynamic of the "two superpower world".

G

Graybrew1

The US has been broke (and heavily in debt to China) for more than 10 years now. :icon_e_confused: The reality is that the ONLY thing keeping things going is the fact that when it comes down to it, the US (and Russia) can pretty much just TAKE what they want, using the threat of nuclear annihilation as a veiled (or overt) threat. The EU, Israel, and other nations get to wield this threat by proxy because of treaties and NATO. But that will change very very quickly. The GPS system in a cellphone is accurate enough to aim a missile. Nuclear material is hard to get, but biochemical agents are plentiful. After a time, the threat of nuclear attack from another nation on the US will be real enough to change the dynamic of the "two superpower world".

Shudders running down my spine, from that comment. Talk about a scary thought. :icon_eek: :jack_new_anime05:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Well, it's not just that, OM1.
The US is by far the largest consumer market in the world, and the truth is, if the American economy were to collapse, pretty much the rest of the world would go with it. That may be changing with some emerging markets, but right now if we stopped buying Chinese products, their economy would come to a halt for lack of demand.
It's like the banks which could stop giving credit to insolvent people and businesses, but then without clients they themselves would die off - so they have to keep a 'healthy balance' between good and risky clients, or the ones that are technically bankrupt but that can still roll their debt and make some form of interest payments.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, it's not just that, OM1.
The US is by far the largest consumer market in the world, and the truth is, if the American economy were to collapse, pretty much the rest of the world would go with it. That may be changing with some emerging markets, but right now if we stopped buying Chinese products, their economy would come to a halt for lack of demand.
It's like the banks which could stop giving credit to insolvent people and businesses, but then without clients they themselves would die off - so they have to keep a 'healthy balance' between good and risky clients, or the ones that are technically bankrupt but that can still roll their debt and make some form of interest payments.

Not sure I agree with this, but this kind of economics is pretty much a mystery to me in many ways.

G

Graybrew1

Not sure I agree with this, but this kind of economics is pretty much a mystery to me in many ways.

It would be ugly. The Us still exports far too many things from far too many countries for it not to be.

Too bad our goverment can't get some Disaster Relief money applied to our Financial Disaster. We have given Billions of Dollars over the years to other countries in need. Maybe some of them could give us some of it back? ;) :P

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Perhaps an analogy...

It's not too different from what happened when Brad Wright dismissed and drove away SGA fans and then thought SGU would still have an audience :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It's not too different from what happened when Brad Wright dismissed and drove away SGA fans and then thought SGU would still have an audience :D

Who is playing which role in that analogy chief?