infograph explains what we'd have done with the 205 million Gal of oil if the Gulf !

heisenberg

Earl Grey
http://vimeo.com/22655744
7 Hours to use 205 Million Gallons of oil? Mother of god! I wonder how much oil is there left in the world.

We have become so dependent on oil! People worry about the lack of fuel in cars but many don't realize how oil has become a part of our lives.Oil makes us not only plastic but also pharmaceutical drugs(even in our food!).

G

Graybrew1

Too bad, they won't let us drill in the US. Our country would eventually no longer be tied to Opec and would once again be the financial powerhouse that it once was. And we could actually have control over the regulation of safety hazards with drilling itself to make it much more Green, just need to relocate a couple of animals. Makes no sense at all. NONE.
Let's just go bankrupt instead. That sounds like a much better idea. Right? LOL

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Too bad, they won't let us drill in the US. Our country would eventually no longer be tied to Opec and would once again be the financial powerhouse that it once was. And we could actually have control over the regulation of safety hazards with drilling itself to make it much more Green, just need to relocate a couple of animals. Makes no sense at all. NONE.

It's obvious US is keeping it's oil reserve for obvious reasons. Once oil runs out they can set whatever price they like.

G

Graybrew1

It's obvious US is keeping it's oil reserve for obvious reasons. Once oil runs out they can set whatever price they like.

I almost wish that was the case. We are not allowed to because "it is bad for the enviroment." Everytime we try , the "the green" people shut it back down again. All I know , is hopefully those green activists are enjoying losing all their money too.

Ooops. Sorry letting political stuff slip out. Must put back in. LOL

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

It's shocking how we're so oblivious to the fact that America has the most stringent standards of safety and ecological preservation of literally anywhere else on earth. The DNR here is a hawk and clamps down tight on any little run-off piss from any construction site (trust me I know, I've worked construction for municipalities -- those people are on our asses from the word go). Any oil drilling we do on American soil (or waters) would be so clean and pristine that you'd almost never know there was drilling going on if you didn't see the actual oil rigs.

People also don't realize that the BP "spill" was done in more than a mile deep of water. The reason being that they couldn't drill closer to shore due to restrictions. Had the "spill" been in more shallow water it could have been more easily contained. It's not rocket surgery to figure out that it would have been much easier to reach the freaking leaking pipe had it not been a mile down to begin with.

Also, and more importantly, Saudi Arabia has had numerous oil spills and yet you hear virtually zero criticism of that. It's all about the western media painting America as the bad guy -- again! They used to call it "Good copy" as in writing a story that would sell a lot of newspapers. It's all media hype. I'm so sick of people acting like America is the biggest polluter in the world when the truth is the opposite. The regulations here would choke a rodeo full of horses. You can't spit without being fined here these days. America isn't polluting the planet and should we ever drill here again it would be so highly regulated that nothing bad could get by unnoticed.

Criticism of pollution and outright diabolical industrial practices needs to go where it's most deserving, to places like China and India. Hell, am I the only one who remembers freaking Bhopal??? Thousands of people died! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Anyone who wants to critcize America for drilling for oil and/or our industrial production methods needs to first take a tour of India and China -- and bring a freaking face mask -- then try and tell me how bad we are for polluting. :roll:

And no, I'm not just talking out of my butt. I had a boss that had to go to China several times a year for business. He had to bring surgical masks to wear just to walk around there. The sky was hazy brown all day everyday. I saw the pictures he took. That kind of crap doesn't happen here in the west for good reason -- because we don't pollute!

Rant off. Someone please help me down off my soap box. Thank you.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I almost wish that was the case. We are not allowed to because "it is bad for the enviroment." Everytime we try , the "the green" people shut it back down again. Oh I know , is hopefully those green activists are enjoying losing all their money too.

Ooops. Sorry letting political stuff slip out. Must put back in. LOL

Once you are the only country with oil in an oil dependant world, you probably won't give a toss what the greens think. Australia does a similar thing, but on nowhere near the scale of the US.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

If only that was the case but the combination of cheap prices for foreign oil and our rabid environmentalism are what is keeping us from drilling here. The government controls drilling here, not the oil companies. In fact our President installed a moratorium on offshore drilling recently. Funny how he has no problem encouraging Brazil to drill offshore, but we can't do it here. Hmm...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Once you are the only country with oil in an oil dependant world, you probably won't give a toss what the greens think. Australia does a similar thing, but on nowhere near the scale of the US.

True, we have that "luxury" of humoring the enviro whackos here, but that's all changing with the increase in oil prices. Those types can only exist (be tolerated) in a successful economy. The one good thing about a bad economy is that enviro-control freaks are kicked in the arse and told to get lost.

(I should point out that I have no problem with genuine concern for proper use of the environment, but the BS whacko stuff, which isn't based on any sound science, get's zero respect from me.)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
True, we have that "luxury" of humoring the enviro whackos here, but that's all changing with the increase in oil prices. Those types can only exist (be tolerated) in a successful economy. The one good thing about a bad economy is that enviro-control freaks are kicked in the arse and told to get lost.

(I should point out that I have no problem with genuine concern for proper use of the environment, but the BS whacko stuff, which isn't based on any sound science, get's zero respect from me.)

Thus you prove my point (and hiesenburg's) for us. :D

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It's shocking how we're so oblivious to the fact that America has the most stringent standards of safety and ecological preservation of literally anywhere else on earth. The DNR here is a hawk and clamps down tight on any little run-off piss from any construction site (trust me I know, I've worked construction for municipalities -- those people are on our asses from the word go). Any oil drilling we do on American soil (or waters) would be so clean and pristine that you'd almost never know there was drilling going on if you didn't see the actual oil rigs.

People also don't realize that the BP "spill" was done in more than a mile deep of water. The reason being that they couldn't drill closer to shore due to restrictions. Had the "spill" been in more shallow water it could have been more easily contained. It's not rocket surgery to figure out that it would have been much easier to reach the freaking leaking pipe had it not been a mile down to begin with.

Also, and more importantly, Saudi Arabia has had numerous oil spills and yet you hear virtually zero criticism of that. It's all about the western media painting America as the bad guy -- again! They used to call it "Good copy" as in writing a story that would sell a lot of newspapers. It's all media hype. I'm so sick of people acting like America is the biggest polluter in the world when the truth is the opposite. The regulations here would choke a rodeo full of horses. You can't spit without being fined here these days. America isn't polluting the planet and should we ever drill here again it would be so highly regulated that nothing bad could get by unnoticed.

Criticism of pollution and outright diabolical industrial practices needs to go where it's most deserving, to places like China and India. Hell, am I the only one who remembers freaking Bhopal??? Thousands of people died! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Anyone who wants to critcize America for drilling for oil and/or our industrial production methods needs to first take a tour of India and China -- and bring a freaking face mask -- then try and tell me how bad we are for polluting. :roll:

And no, I'm not just talking out of my butt. I had a boss that had to go to China several times a year for business. He had to bring surgical masks to wear just to walk around there. The sky was hazy brown all day everyday. I saw the pictures he took. That kind of crap doesn't happen here in the west for good reason -- because we don't pollute!

Yep It's true! For the locals it's okay because they are sort of used to the pollution but, for many foreigners, it's severely deteriorates your health. I suffered from Respiratory problems after my holiday tour in India. Took me a few weeks to recover.

G

Graybrew1

Could not have said it better myself. The reason why we can't drill in this country right now, is because it is controlled by those that are against it. The reason used is the enviroment, but yet they say it is not their fault that this country is in such dire straits. If we drilled in the US , we could relocate the wildlife... who would be fine, they are thriving in Alaska, animals always adjust. They are used to it, they adjust due to fires, floods, temperature....things that have nothing to do with us. And as far as the other enviromental issues , well it is just pure stupidity to think that letting OPEC destroy the earth's enviroment is not going to affect us. But if we drilled ourselves , we would have total control over it. So, the reason used is enviroment, But really somebody somewhere is getting some serious hands greased. But that is just IMHO.

G

Graybrew1

Most of the American people fall for that pretty shiny coin and don't really see what the magician is really doing. If half of them did, politicians in this country would not be able to do pretty much whatever the frak they want and we have no control over it. Now that "their" pockets are being picked many are waking up to it, but for right now, there is not a darn thing that we can do about it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Most of the American people fall for that pretty shiny coin and don't really see what the magician is really doing. If half of them did, politicians in this country would not be able to do pretty much whatever the frak they want and we have no control over it. Now that "their" pockets are being picked many are waking up to it, but for right now, there is not a darn thing that we can do about it.

Can you explain this better please?
I think you mean as long as the GP is distracted, they will swallow whatever shit they are fed, but I'm not 100% sure.

G

Graybrew1

Can you explain this better please?
I think you mean as long as the GP is distracted, they will swallow whatever shit they are fed, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I cannot tell you how many intelligent people that I know that have been just voting for the pretty people with pretty words and not actually following what these politicians have been actually voting on. Now that these people are losing money personally they are starting to take notice and pay attention to it. But for now , the elections are over. And the politicians in office are seemingly pushing through whatever the frak they want and doing nothing but making excuses about why we are all going broke.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I cannot tell you how many intelligent people that I know that have been just voting for the pretty people with pretty words and not actually following what these politicians have been actually voting on. Now that these people are losing money personally they are starting to take notice and pay attention to it. But for now , the elections are over. And the politicians in office are seemingly pushing through whatever the frak they want and doing nothing but making excuses about why we are all going broke.

So, why do you think the US is "going broke"?
This is interesting to me because for the first time in a long time, the Aussie dollar is worth more than the greenback, yet we are seeing no "real" benefit from it out here.

G

Graybrew1

This is interesting to me because for the first time in a long time, the Aussie dollar is worth more than the greenback, yet we are seeing no "real" benefit from it out here.

The US is going broke, because the politicians are running it into the ground. Gas has doubled in average price nationwide over the last couple of months. This does not only affect my gas bill. My groceries, electric,trash...heck they are even talking about cutting back the United States Postal services. Everything costs more. Alot more. They could have prevented this by letting us drill in the US. They have destroyed the healthcare system in US , by cutting reimbursements too drastically too quickly. This is my business and it is beyond ugly now. They have increased the size of the goverment and lost millions of jobs. Their answer is too extend unemployment for a year and half. They bail out the big business and let thousands of small businesses twist in the wind. They run this country like a lawyer, this country needs to be run by a businessman. And to bring it full circle, after all this , they still won't let us drill in this country to even try to fix the problem for our future. All they care about is keeping their jobs.

I would be happy to have no benefit, because now every other week, it is just loss after loss. I have to send thousands a month to my gas card to keep up with the price of that "gas bill' because our company is also mobile. So you can see where the rant is coming from.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thus you prove my point (and hiesenburg's) for us. :D

I don't understand the point you're making. I was trying to state that America is in transition here. We had (past tense) the luxury of pandering to the enviro whackos but now with the economy tanking that is starting to change. It's a matter of reality verses ideology and in this battle reality always wins. The extreme nut jobs want us to return to the plow but their army of upper-middle class coffee table supporters fold like deck chairs on the Titanic the moment they figure out their own pocket books will suffer. Unfortunately for things to get to this point that means just about everyone suffers. :(

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
GF, the US isn't "going broke". It already is! It's just that Americans haven't realized it yet... like those people who own so much on their credit cards they'll never be able to pay it back, but they still get credit and roll their debt.

G

Graybrew1

GF, the US isn't "going broke". It already is! It's just that people haven't realized it yet... like those people who own so much on their credit cards they'll never be able to pay it back, but they still get credit and roll their debt.

Yes, just ask my Credit Card compnaies. I never used to carry a balance. Definitely not true anymore. LOL

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This

GF, the US isn't "going broke". It already is! It's just that Americans haven't realized it yet... like those people who own so much on their credit cards they'll never be able to pay it back, but they still get credit and roll their debt.

Yup, we're swimming in credit debt here in America and it's killing us. It's shocking how in only a couple decades things have changed so drastically that nearly every transaction we make is done on credit. We "charge" everything from cars to student loans. Whatever happened to the days where a kid had to save up some money to buy a beater car? That was a right of passage which no longer exists. Same with being able to work one's way thru college. Same with buying a freaking new TV when the old one dies -- Now it's put it on a credit card and pay for it until the end of time.