Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Season 4

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Season 5

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Jason1983

GateFans Noob
Season 3 I think had the best episodes overall. Plus the real Wier and Beckett were still there.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I am not going to vote on this as I can't decide between seasons 3, 4 & 5.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I voted season 1, because all that season I couldnt wait until the next episode!

The first year of Atlantis was awesome for me. I fell in love with the show in the first 5 minutes of Rising, and I loved the characters right off the bat. The connections between the SG-1 storyline and Atlantis were seamless and well blended, and then we were in Atlantis and it was on from there. I love all the episodes in Atlantis, but for me season 1 was the most enjoyable.

F

Frumenta

It's a tie between 1 and 4 for me so since 4 isn't getting any love I voted for it.

Yllek

GateFans Noob
The first year of Atlantis was awesome for me. I fell in love with the show in the first 5 minutes of Rising, and I loved the characters right off the bat. The connections between the SG-1 storyline and Atlantis were seamless and well blended, and then we were in Atlantis and it was on from there. I love all the episodes in Atlantis, but for me season 1 was the most enjoyable.

I can't really say which season is my favorite. I think more in terms of storyline than season. I wasn't too wild about the Michael storyline and what they did to the Wraith (how would we feel if some "benign" alien species finds that humans are too agressive for their own good and reverts us back to monkeys). And I REALLY didn't like the S5 love triangle story arc and the romance between Keller and McKay that the writers pulled out of their ass. But S5 still had a couple of great episodes, like Vegas.

I absolutely loved SGA from the moment Atlantis rose up out of the waters. I'm not even that much of a SciFi fan and I only watched a handful of SG-1 episodes, but SGA stole my heart. And when Ronon replaced Ford, it only got better imo. I'd say that season 2 had the most episodes I enjoyed.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
I know a lot of people disagree. But I have to go with Season 4. For me it has the most episodes that I must watch over and over and over again. I love it.

Red Mage

Boney
This is actually a much harder decision than I originally thought when viewing this thread. Every season has episodes I absolutely loved while most had episodes I didn't care for at all. Season 1 maybe had the most episodes I enjoyed but some of the episodes in the later seasons exceeded anything in the first season except for Rising. Rising is probably my favorite episode of the entire series. They really nailed the opening episodes down really well. Season 2 was overall very strong. I don't think there was any episode I hated. I voted season 2 because the strength in the overall quality of the season although I almost gave it to Season 1.

Bottom 10 episodes in no particular order

Inquisition (Season 5)
Irresistable (Season 3)
Infection (Season 5)
Irresponsible (Season 3)
Brain Storm (Season 5)
Trio (Season 4)
Harmony (Season 4)
Missing (Season 4)
Childhood's End (Season 1)
The Ark (Season 3)

It came down to Season 1 and 2. Season 2 was the only season not to have a bottom 10 episode in my opinion so it got my vote. Every other season had atleast 3 episodes I did not like at all.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What can I say? I LIKED McKeller (the whole idea of for once having the geek get the girl instead of the usual Hollywood way of the hunk getting the girl was cool). I also liked a lot of the lighter episodes, and felt they served a good purpose in keeping the tone of the show even.

I also liked S4 and S5 when we got more episodes with Todd (Michael was ok but Todd was an excellent character to introduce. With Todd you could see a potential future where if a solution could be found for the Wraith need to feed on humans there could be a detente between the two.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Hahahah for a moment I thought Metroid had put "Trio" on the best ep list. That got my attention.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Hahahah for a moment I thought Metroid had put "Trio" on the best ep list. That got my attention.

Season 3 had the most episodes that didn't interest me. Almost half of them I completely skip when I rewatch. I love Richard Kind but not in his role as Lucius on SGA. Those episodes annoyed me and I didn't like the game or the ark or the whole Wier and Shep in alien bodies. Season 4 got back to the serious storylines. Season 5 was too much Jennifer she just isn't that interesting.

iratecaller

GateFans Noob
Oh god, the overuse of Teyla, the 'baby' and all the stories related to that shit were awfull near the end of Atlantis. "Teyla, she who can operate ancient tech and computers but grew up in a cave." She must be some friggin genious to pick up computers like that. Teyla - queen of the wraith. That was dumb. I disliked her on a good day but the forced stories created to support her pregnancy were idiotic at best.

When Tapping got pregnant, you had glimpses of it but they didn't twist the story around for her.

Atlantis peaked during Season 3.

... but still MUCH BETTER at the end than SGU

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I had to say Season 4, because that was when my interest was highest in SGA. Although two of my favorite episodes (Vegas and The Shrine(most of it anyway)) were in Season 5 and I liked Woolsey, the emphasis on McKeller was enough to make me very angry at the show at times.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Where was that in season 3? I think you're thinking of The Long Goodbye, and that was season 2. That's the only episode I can think of where Weir and Shep took places with aliens, but they weren't in their bodies, the aliens were in theirs.

Your correct it was Season 2. I thought Sunday was beautifully done and I was sadden to lose Carson. His return was great but Season 5 was too much Whiney Keller. She is a good actress and in rewatching I can tell in her voice that her confidence was faltering in the role. The shrine showcased Rodney's range much like Lifeboat did for Daniel. Team dynamic works for me but I found that lacking in season 5.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
My favourite season was the first, it felt very focused beginning to end. Plus that was before the endless cast changes. I wasn't a big fan of how Ford and Weir were written out (mainly the fact they never got proper conclusions) and Carson's death/comeback. Also the addition of Keller...

In saying that Picardo was awesome in Season 5, I kinda wish he'd taken over in season 4 from Weir.

Overall though apart from those problems I thought the show was very strong in its first and third seasons. Parts of the fourth were also pretty intense.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Oh god, the overuse of Teyla, the 'baby' and all the stories related to that shit were awfull near the end of Atlantis. "Teyla, she who can operate ancient tech and computers but grew up in a cave." She must be some friggin genious to pick up computers like that. Teyla - queen of the wraith. That was dumb. I disliked her on a good day but the forced stories created to support her pregnancy were idiotic at best.

When Tapping got pregnant, you had glimpses of it but they didn't twist the story around for her.

Atlantis peaked during Season 3.

... but still MUCH BETTER at the end than SGU

Damn straight. Although there was a real baby used on closeups, I spent the whole season watching Teyla walking around Atlantis waiting for her to drop it and go "clunk". I couldn't stand the Trinnear/Michael thing as well. I wish they cast someone else having just come from Enterprise.

I guess I mainly watch for the buddies stuff. Hell I even liked Ford in the beginning. But like you say their worst ep is far better than any SGoo Poo.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
OMG we're starting to sound like disgruntled Atlantis fans aren't we? :jmm:

Remember the episode that started and ended with Rodney and Shep running remote control race cars? There became a string of events that involved them keeping clear of her. It was really annoying and added nothing to the show. Sort of like laying the groundwork for Keller.

Like JMS in BB5 decreed (after Wesley Crusher) no children or babies allowed in sci-fi. ;) Ain't it a big surprise that SGoo needed a baby.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sorry, but Atlantis at its worst was still watchable - SGU isn't. Even episodes where the writing wasn't there still had good characters interacting well, and were watchable on that count.

As I said earlier, I liked McKeller. I also liked the whole friendship between John and Rodney - two guys no one would figure to be pretty much best friends. Take them together with Ronon and Teyla and you had something SGU simply cannot comprehend - a team. They support each other and cover each others weaknesses. Did they screw up? Sure, and sometimes catastrophically. Did they have personal faults? Yes, but they rose above them.

Even S5 was decent - to me it's biggest failing was a bad habit of starting to develop ideas then never following through.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sorry, but Atlantis at its worst was still watchable - SGU isn't. Even episodes where the writing wasn't there still had good characters interacting well, and were watchable on that count.

As I said earlier, I liked McKeller. I also liked the whole friendship between John and Rodney - two guys no one would figure to be pretty much best friends. Take them together with Ronon and Teyla and you had something SGU simply cannot comprehend - a team. They support each other and cover each others weaknesses. Did they screw up? Sure, and sometimes catastrophically. Did they have personal faults? Yes, but they rose above them.

Even S5 was decent - to me it's biggest failing was a bad habit of starting to develop ideas then never following through.

Yep, that last bit shit me in SG1 as well. :(
As to the question of "fave season", I simply cannot pick one. For all of SGA's many and various flaws, there are parts in every season that I love (yes even S5, I didn't mind the team getting a bit scattered because you knew in the end they still had eachother backs) If push came to shove however, I suppose I'd grudgingly say S1, and thats only because it was where we were introduced to the great characters that made SGA worth watching/buying/discussing.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
Just wanted to say I LOVED Harmony, it was like one of those old buddy movies, a Hope and Crosby Road show!

SerenityS

GateFans Member
No need to be sorry because it's true. That's what everyone has been saying since SGU's beginning. So no worries there.

I couldn't stand McKeller. They really tested my love for the show with that and their love for Keller. Rodney was 10 times better with Katie, and Keller should never have been a regular. Carson never should have left.

John and Rodney weren't best friends, but they did have a brotherly bond to me that was born out of them working together so much. TPTB only tried to change that up a bit in season 5 which was odd to me.

Carson and Rodney were best friends (as they actually said that on the show several times...), and I always saw John and Ronon as best friends because that was the natural development on the show until season 5 when things fell apart.

Still, they were all friends/family to each other, and that's what made that show worth watching even when the writing wasn't there. Not many casts can achieve that - managing to make the show interesting even when the writing isn't...

I agree that they would started things that didn't get revisited by the end of the show, and that's why it needed at least 2-3 more seasons.

@Serenity
Hope and Crosby show? Not at all to me. Harmony was very painfully annoying, but I'm glad you liked it.
LOL, we see things quite differently (although we are united in disliking McKeller). For me, I could never quite figure out where the notion that Carson and Rodney were best friends came from, it just seemed like that came out of the blue in Sunday. I loved Carson, though, and thought his death was one of the stupidest things ever to happen in the series.

I DO think McKay and Shep were best friends, though, as evidenced by episodes like The Shrine and Miller's Crossing. (and Harmony,LOL).

At a con I think Joe F or David H said they were going for that Hope and Crosby vibe during the series, for me it worked.

But we both loved the show (most of it anyway) so Cheers!