The Walking Dead Season 3 ComicCon Trailer (SPOILERS)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Couple things, the trailer pretty much tells what will happen for the entire season. Looks like they have two (2) locations for lots of boring melodrama this season. Also, Rick is as annoying as ever if not more so. The way they try to paint him as some bad ass leader is laughable. There's even a point in the video where you here a voice over by Lori saying "He's gotten us a lot further than I thought he would." You're kidding Lori, right? He got you nowhere, not even to the farm you wasted last season on.

At any rate, I'm sure season 3 will have tons of stuff to rip apart and make fun of. SGU is dead -- long live new TWD! :daniel_new_anime021

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQz68Zkb3Y&feature=player_embedded

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Maybe they heard the screams and have decided to tone down the melodrama. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Couple things, the trailer pretty much tells what will happen for the entire season. Looks like they have two (2) locations for lots of boring melodrama this season. Also, Rick is as annoying as ever if not more so. The way they try to paint him as some bad ass leader is laughable. There's even a point in the video where you here a voice over by Lori saying "He's gotten us a lot further than I thought he would." You're kidding Lori, right? He got you nowhere, not even to the farm you wasted last season on.

At any rate, I'm sure season 3 will have tons of stuff to rip apart and make fun of. SGU is dead -- long live new TWD! :daniel_new_anime021

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShQz68Zkb3Y&feature=player_embedded

OMG...this show sooooo needs "the treatment". Thing is, the ratings are pretty good. :facepalm:. That is scary because it means that nobody cares about good TV anymore. OR, that I am just out of touch with "today's audience". I just hate The Walking Dead. Its really really bad, much worse than SGU to me.:confused0076:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG...this show sooooo needs "the treatment". Thing is, the ratings are pretty good. :facepalm:. That is scary because it means that nobody cares about good TV anymore. OR, that I am just out of touch with "today's audience". I just hate The Walking Dead. Its really really bad, much worse than SGU to me.:confused0076:

I think the good ratings are because it's a completely new genre for TV and everyone was fascinated at the beginning. The first season wasn't that long (6 episodes I think?) and it was unique as viewing goes so everyone was talking about it. People who missed out on the show the first time around didn't want to be left out and jumped on the bandwagon for Season 2, hence the huge ratings. This is coupled with the fact that all of us wanted the show to be great, we wanted it to do good so we kept watching.

As it is there were plenty of serious fans who got disappointed with Season 2. Some dropped off but were easily replaced with slack-jawed fools who didn't care about the quality of what they were watching, they just wanted to be able to say they watched the coolest, hottest show on TV right now. (Seriously, there are TONS of people like that out there, trust me, I've met plenty of them in my life.)

As it is TWD will probably continue to do well for a few more seasons. The producers have been empowered by the success of the concept so they will no doubt continue to do what they want despite criticism. And if you saw that episode of The Talking Dead where Dave Navarro chastised one of the show's producers about how boring the show had gotten and how lame it was that they were still stuck on the farm for the whole season you'd have seen the producer genuinely confused over being criticized. Seriously, he was actually uncomfortable that anyone would dare negatively critique his work of art. It was very telling.

At any rate, I found Season 2 to be soooooooooo bad that it was good in terms of material to make fun of. Season 3 promises to be the same as the Lori comment about Rick getting them further than she had thought proves. It's such a stupid line to give a character because it's not true at all, lol! Rick is a moron who didn't get them anywhere. He didn't find the farm they went to in Season 2. For that matter he wasn't even conscious in the first season to get his family out of Atlanta; Shane was the one who did that. Then, when Rick did find his family he immediately left them to go find Merle, a murderous Aryan dick head. He left his family and the others repeatedly; he didn't keep an eye on his son who caused all sorts of trouble (he actually had to have Shane, the supposed "bad guy", point out that he needed to be a father to Karl late in season 2); he opted to keep everyone on a farm that held a barn full of zombies -- bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. Yet according to Lori (the writers actually) he got them further than anyone else. According to them Rick is a hero...
:icon_rolleyes::rolleye0014:

It's truly writing so bad that it's good. I'm fascinated by the fact that the writers are completely unaware of how erroneous and contradictory their writing is. Rick is a moron and so is Lori yet they are held up as the protagonists, the "good guys" so to speak. It's a total farce on par with A Confederacy of Dunces (a great comedic book). The character's actions lead to belly shaking guffaws which is not what the writers intend I'm sure, but that's the best way to respond to their tripe. Viewing TWD as a comedy is the proper way to approach this show and in that vein I look forward to Season 3.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think the good ratings are because it's a completely new genre for TV and everyone was fascinated at the beginning. The first season wasn't that long (6 episodes I think?) and it was unique as viewing goes so everyone was talking about it. People who missed out on the show the first time around didn't want to be left out and jumped on the bandwagon for Season 2, hence the huge ratings. This is coupled with the fact that all of us wanted the show to be great, we wanted it to do good so we kept watching.

This show actually got off to a "not bad" start. I actually liked it. But by the 4th episode, I was done. I stopped watching on the episode just before Shane was killed (I got the spoilers here at GateFans). I have not watched an episode since then. I reflect back on season 1, and I am not understanding why the show is getting such good ratings. :( Shane was at least interesting, and the blonde girl he was hooking up with (shooter girl, cant remember her name) balanced him out. Is she still in the show? Anyhoo, I have not seen any of season 2.

As it is there were plenty of serious fans who got disappointed with Season 2. Some dropped off but were easily replaced with slack-jawed fools who didn't care about the quality of what they were watching, they just wanted to be able to say they watched the coolest, hottest show on TV right now. (Seriously, there are TONS of people like that out there, trust me, I've met plenty of them in my life.)

I see them daily too. Their lives are filled with playing with their phones, eating "trendy fast foods" like Panda Express, Subway, Baja Fresh and Chipoltle. They only need for something to be fun to look at, and preferably in 3D. As movies originate more and more in a retail product or a comic book (as opposed to a novel) we get dumb entertainment which is reinforced by HUGE returns at the box office :facepalm:

As it is TWD will probably continue to do well for a few more seasons. The producers have been empowered by the success of the concept so they will no doubt continue to do what they want despite criticism. And if you saw that episode of The Talking Dead where Dave Navarro chastised one of the show's producers about how boring the show had gotten and how lame it was that they were still stuck on the farm for the whole season you'd have seen the producer genuinely confused over being criticized. Seriously, he was actually uncomfortable that anyone would dare negatively critique his work of art. It was very telling.

That is how it is. The showrunners and writers are clueless and that is why their vision guides these shows. They no longer do the test audience thing. In Hollywood, the cable and TV companies would have people giving tickes away to special screenings of new shows, sometimes movies. They purpose of them was to gauge response, and hopefully predict ratings. Now, the research is based on "similar titles" and the ratings of those other shows. Creativity is now a "formula" to follow. :uncomfortableness:

At any rate, I found Season 2 to be soooooooooo bad that it was good in terms of material to make fun of. Season 3 promises to be the same as the Lori comment about Rick getting them further than she had thought proves. It's such a stupid line to give a character because it's not true at all, lol! Rick is a moron who didn't get them anywhere. He didn't find the farm they went to in Season 2. For that matter he wasn't even conscious in the first season to get his family out of Atlanta; Shane was the one who did that. Then, when Rick did find his family he immediately left them to go find Merle, a murderous Aryan dick head. He left his family and the others repeatedly; he didn't keep an eye on his son who caused all sorts of trouble (he actually had to have Shane, the supposed "bad guy", point out that he needed to be a father to Karl late in season 2); he opted to keep everyone on a farm that held a barn full of zombies -- bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. Yet according to Lori (the writers actually) he got them further than anyone else. According to them Rick is a hero...
:icon_rolleyes::rolleye0014:

RICK is the hero? How is that? :nightmare: There are no heroes in The Walking Dead IMO. All of them are merely "survivors" with varying levels of skill at surviving. Lori is dead weight to me. What happened to the baby, what happened with the whiney kid? Im not watching just to find out.

It's truly writing so bad that it's good. I'm fascinated by the fact that the writers are completely unaware of how erroneous and contradictory their writing is. Rick is a moron and so is Lori yet they are held up as the protagonists, the "good guys" so to speak. It's a total farce on par with A Confederacy of Dunces (a great comedic book). The character's actions lead to belly shaking guffaws which is not what the writers intend I'm sure, but that's the best way to respond to their tripe. Viewing TWD as a comedy is the proper way to approach this show and in that vein I look forward to Season 3.

If it is truly funny by your standards, that would be enough to get me to watch an episode or two because you might just be the funniest guy I have ever encountered. :) So wait....RICK is the hero? Really? :facepalm:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Imo TWD is a headless chicken ie no sence of direction so it wont go anywhere intresting and its increadibly boring to watch so for the life of me i do NOT understand how people watch it in such droves..

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMNI is, in his own inimitable way, is right. TWD sucks donkey balls of epic proportions. :biggrin-new:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The main reason season 2 is so different from season 1 is the original show runner Frank Darabont was fired and his writers left the show in protest along with some of the main actors (those who were killed off in S2). Frank D had a story ark all laid out for the series, which is dead and gone now:grumpy: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-what-happened-fired-221449

This blurb from the article pretty much explains why Season 2 sucked so bad:

But this source says that AMC had its own ideas about how to make the show more cheaply. The show shoots for eight days per episode, and the network suggested that half should be indoors. "Four days inside and four days out? That's not Walking Dead" says the insider.
"This is not a show that takes place around the dinner table." That was just one of what this person describes as "silly notes" from AMC. Couldn't the audience hear the zombies sometimes and not see them, to save on makeup? The source says Darabont fought "a constant battle to keep the show big in scope and style."

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The article mentions by how much the per-episode budget was slashed and it seems to have been just enough to make it suck. Its eyes are above water but the nostrils are submerged.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ah....is this a new tactic from the studios? This is quoted from that article:

There also have been no public comments from the cast, and a source with knowledge of the situation says AMC has been "terrorizing" them and their representatives to discourage them from speaking out on Darabont's behalf. "They're scared," confirms another insider. "They're on a zombie show. They are all really easy to kill off."

:culpability: Really? Just how arrogant is that? The studios are trying to find a way to continue business as usual in an economy where people are cutting the cord, finding other entertainment options, and being choosy with what they watch. Who wants to watch a depressing apocalyptic show after a long day working with workplace zombies? :confused0076:. How is it that Falling Skies can do it better? When all of this desperate shuffling of actors, producers, channels and production models they come up with is done, we will have a whole new entertainment-scape. I predict that Netflix will become a big player in the not too distant future. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The article mentions by how much the per-episode budget was slashed and it seems to have been just enough to make it suck. Its eyes are above water but the nostrils are submerged.

I hope it cant swim. :chuncky:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The main reason season 2 is so different from season 1 is the original show runner Frank Darabont was fired and his writers left the show in protest along with some of the main actors (those who were killed off in S2). Frank D had a story ark all laid out for the series, which is dead and gone now:grumpy: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-what-happened-fired-221449

Mystery solved. This was a great find. You know, its funny but Falling Skies had changes made to it which are just as extreme as those made to The Walking Dead, but they went in two different directions. Falling Skies towards the sky, and The Walking Dead towards dead. :facepalm:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Mystery solved. This was a great find. You know, its funny but Falling Skies had changes made to it which are just as extreme as those made to The Walking Dead, but they went in two different directions. Falling Skies towards the sky, and The Walking Dead towards dead. :facepalm:

It's like the Falling Skies crew realized that they had to drastically tone down the "soap-fi" while the Walking Dead writers decided to do the opposite.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It's like the Falling Skies crew realized that they had to drastically tone down the "soap-fi" while the Walking Dead writers decided to do the opposite.

Or they realised they could make it truly suck balls............

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Or they realised they could make it truly suck balls............

In a way you've hit on the problem. The producers that replaced Darabont and the AMC execs definitely have a cynical "They'll swallow anything we give them and they'll like it!" sort of attitude towards the show and the fans. It's evident in the notes that were used as a production template in Season 2.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The network's looking at cutting corners any and everywhere it can. Remember what happened with Mad Men, and how they had to cut a lot to get last season?

I don't watch the show, but I do keep track of entertainment news.

AMC's powers that be are swinging the budget axe all over the place. I'm terrified of what will eventually happen to Hell On Wheels, my current favorite of their shows.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I don't think they deliberately set out to make it suck. What I do think is a lot of these writers live in a "Hollywood" bubble and in that bubble it seems to be the accepted wisdom that soaping things up is the way to go. And so they do that regardless of whether it is appropriate for the show and/or genre. Fortunately you do get some writers who are not totally in that bubble and actually think about what the proper mood and tone are for a show on its own merits.

B

Backstep

The network's looking at cutting corners any and everywhere it can. Remember what happened with Mad Men, and how they had to cut a lot to get last season?

I don't watch the show, but I do keep track of entertainment news.

AMC's powers that be are swinging the budget axe all over the place. I'm terrified of what will eventually happen to Hell On Wheels, my current favorite of their shows.

AMC has 4 channels, AMC, IFC, WE and Sundance. Of those channels I only watch AMC for a couple shows Breaking bad and The Killing, did watch TWD. I have Dishnetwork, Dish dropped AMC over AMC wanting a 30% increase in rates. I'm on the side of Dish, why should my subscription to Dish jump that high when AMC needs to find more investors to pay for their programing. Hell AMC sold the rights to Mad Men and Breaking Bad for profit.

On the AMC website They asking all Dish subscribers to switch to Direct tv to get AMC, while Direct is in a war with Viacom and Viacom has pulled 20 channels.

AMC's budget axe should start swinging from the top down.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
AMC has 4 channels, AMC, IFC, WE and Sundance. Of those channels I only watch AMC for a couple shows Breaking bad and The Killing, did watch TWD. I have Dishnetwork, Dish dropped AMC over AMC wanting a 30% increase in rates. I'm on the side of Dish, why should my subscription to Dish jump that high when AMC needs to find more investors to pay for their programing. Hell AMC sold the rights to Mad Men and Breaking Bad for profit.

On the AMC website They asking all Dish subscribers to switch to Direct tv to get AMC, while Direct is in a war with Viacom and Viacom has pulled 20 channels.

AMC's budget axe should start swinging from the top down.

Same here with Dish. To me it simply smacks of AMC getting an inflated ego due to their recent success. As it is it doesn't bother me one bit to lose those channels. I'm sure I'll be able to see TWD when it airs or I'll simply get it when it's available thru a different venue. Who needs to bother with a commercial laden channel anyway?