Stunning pictures taken from Rotterdam rooftops

S

Stonelesscutter

Another new picture (nr. 5) is up today at www.dakvanrotterdam.nl.

View attachment 6029

The red bridge on the left is the Willemsbrug I mentioned before, now finally in open view yet still from far away.
The raised bridge on the right is part of the old railway bridge they kept as a monument.

View attachment 6030

The curvey building on the left is called the Paperclip. It's not very special.
You can see that there's some wealthier people in the area with cute little boats. Some appartments here are quite pricey. Ironically they lie rather close to an area which could be described as poor.
In the distance if you look closely you can see another bridge crossing the river which is the Brienenoord bridge. It has a ten lane freeway and a bicycle lane. (which is separate! :))

The rest of the picture offers a similar view of what we saw before only from higher up and with a crane blocking part of the view.

S

Stonelesscutter

Bluce is right, you would make an excellent tour guide. :D

Tourguides need to know their stuff. Like about history of the area and such. I don't know anything. Just telling you what is where.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Tourguides need to know their stuff. Like about history of the area and such. I don't know anything. Just telling you what is where.

That's fine. Just point us to the red light district and you've earned your keep, my tour guiding friend. :icon_lol:

S

Stonelesscutter

That's fine. Just point us to the red light district and you've earned your keep, my tour guiding friend. :icon_lol:

That would be in Amsterdam my friend, not Rotterdam. :)
Though there used to be some unofficial zone for it somewhere, but I honestly wouldn't know exactly where nor if it still exists.

S

Stonelesscutter

In case anyone is interested in following this project on Twitter, here's the account name.
@DakvanRotterdam

S

Stonelesscutter

Picture nr. 6 on www.dakvanrotterdam.nl is up. Be sure to check it out for yourself instead of just looking at the screenshots I post here.

View attachment 6035

There's not much I can tell you about this pic except that you can see the railways leading up to Central Station.

View attachment 6036

The older looking building with the little tower is the former city hall.

View attachment 6037

An overview of the city centre.

View attachment 6038

This roundabout is called Hofplein. The fountain in the middle is coloured sometimes. Whether that is arranged by the city or some hoodlum individuals I don't know. :)
At the top 'corner' you can see a kinda shabby looking building which is actually the Hilton International Hotel. :facepalm:

S

Stonelesscutter

Picture number 7 offers a view from the top of the Westin hotel near Central Station. You can't see Central Station on this pic though since it's on the other side of the hotel. :)

View attachment 6044

Finally a closer view on that insurance company building with the orange logo.
In the distance there's a bed of water called the Kralingse Plas. A recreational area with a park beside it.

View attachment 6046

The square in the middle is called Schouwburgplein. Basically this means theatresquare. The theatre is on the far end seen from this side.
On the square is a movie theatre. Below it a parking garage. (parking costs about €4,- an hour there I believe)
On the side of the square is also a Pizza Hut. :D

S

Stonelesscutter

Picture number 8 on www.dakvanrotterdam.nl is taken from the roof of the Rotterdam World Trade Center.

View attachment 6047

This one offers a topdown view of the "Koopgoot", one of Rotterdam's shopping streets. (part of which can be seen in the Jackie Chan movie "Who Am I?")

View attachment 6048

Just another nice view of the city. :)

Make sure you follow @DakvanRotterdam on Twitter if you wanna keep up to date. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What makes you think the bombing was a mistake?

S

Stonelesscutter

What makes you think the bombing was a mistake?

In retrospect it was probably a conspiracy incited by the Russians. Think about it. The allies bombed Rotterdam. The Germans bombed Rotterdam. But the Russians remain silent in the background. This is veeeery suspicious.

S

Stonelesscutter

I haven't looked at the pics for some time now. I should post some more pics here but that'll have to wait till I get around to it. Far too busy at the moment.

G

Graybrew1

I looked at today. The link is fine.
I like the building with glass windows and the picture on it. :thoranime12: