Problem Charging IPhones ?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Over the last few years or so I have had a bugger of a time being able to charge my 4s iPhone . What happens is I have been using an over the counter charger with the apple docking cable . Sometimes it would charge , other times it would not . From what I could find online it seemed to be a software problem and not a cable or charger problem . I will say yes to both and here is how to fix this problem if you find your iPhone won't charge with non apple cables and chargers .
Let your phone run itself down to zero battery and let it shut itself off . Now the simple trick here is to have a factory apple iPhone charger and apple docking cable and let the phone come to a full charge . Your phone will now charge correctly with any charger or compatible cable . The reason being here is that the iPhone reset its charging software back to its factory settings . I am guessing that with using multiple chargers and cables , the software gets confused and by doin the full dead battery to full charge with apple products , the phone charging system is reset and ready for whatever cable you happen to have lying around . Since I have done this , my phone has had no trouble connecting to aftermarket cables or chargers .
Also prior to having the battery die , i also did a complete reset of the phone which is holding down the home button and the top case button for 30 secs or more . The apple logo will pop up after a while telling you the phone has reset to factory settings . I then let it drain all its power and then charged it with the Apple charging system ...
I also want to point out that when I searched for a charging issue fix I had also tried every other method to find a cure . The aforementioned method works for me and I am no longer wanting to toss my iPhone far far across the universe into a black hole . I almost kinda like my phone now ... almost ...
PS ... I also have all the latest updates installed ... iPhone 4s

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As much as I rant about iPhones, I still think they are very capable smartphones and I would take one over a Windows or Blackberry phone (but not Android :)). The Samsung phones (all of them) use a very soft metal for the charging port and every single one of them I have owned would eventually not be able to be charged. I had to buy a spare battery and charge those outside of the phone :facepalm:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Hmmmm after totally and entirely reading your entire post ( I swear :angel:;)), I've figured out what your problem is: it's an iPhone.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
True , I agree but it charges now without any problems . I was ready to toss it very very far into an abyss . There are a ton of fixes out there that do nothing regarding iphone charging issues . One is to change out the friggin docking port on the phone . ...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Sometimes, the off-brand charging cables just suck. Not all of them, but a fair number of them.

When I need a replacement charging cable for an iThing, I usually buy one from Monoprice.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Sometimes, the off-brand charging cables just suck. Not all of them, but a fair number of them.

When I need a replacement charging cable for an iThing, I usually buy one from Monoprice.

Well all of my aftermarket chargers will work with my iphone since I did the run till it's dead , then charge with apple charger , then plug into anything chargers step . I have yet to find one now that it won't charge on , unlike before when it would'nt sometimes even charge with an apple charger ...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The older Apple chargers were problematic, but the lightning chargers they have used since the iPhone 5 are nice. They make a good connection consistently and do not have the contact surface bending issues Micro USB has had before.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
image.png This started happening 2 updates ago ... I was hoping this last update would cure this . Guess not . It only seems to happen at Gate Fans .
iphone 4s 9.03

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
View attachment 31889 This started happening 2 updates ago ... I was hoping this last update would cure this . Guess not . It only seems to happen at Gate Fans .
iphone 4s 9.03

Really?....what about the forums pages and threads? Are you using split screen (is there such a thing on iPhones?)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I've seen this occur in Mobile Safari also - I usually refresh my way out of it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've seen this occur in Mobile Safari also - I usually refresh my way out of it.

What causes it? This site is 100% responsive except the Flame Hell theme.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
It seems to be just the home page . Once I finally get logged in which takes forever , all pages after that are normal size ... Very strange indeed ...

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
And here is another wtf . Why is my phone like my car . I must be a magnet for crappy stuff or something or I'm just being punshished by the cosmic god of wtf ,,,
This stupid camera icon pops up while I am texting and blocks my veiw to text ... How to hell do I get rid of this . Also my son was hooked up to my linux puter charging his phone so when his phone was done I plugged into my linux puter with his cable . My iphone wiped itself and made a copy of his phone on my phone ... wtf apple ... Sheese ... I dont have any apple software onthe linux puter and his phone was not even connected . All I did was use his docking cable ... Damit ... image.png

;) ;) ;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
WTH eh ,,,another update !!! ... jeepers creepers its becoming a weekly habit worm in an apple ,,,