In the midst of a cheat! Five Guys

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I finally did this. Quinoa is AWESOME! It directly replaces brown rice and is much healthier. I love the texture of it, slightly chewy, slightly crunchy (depending on how you prepare it).

View attachment 31808

I will share the recipe if anyone wants it. :) Follow your recipes for chicken fried rice, and just substitute quinoa for the rice. Everything else is exactly the same.

Call me an oddball but that actually looks rather tasty.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like it fine, just not when it looks like something one of the cats puked up!!

Presentation dude, Presentation

That is not even a picture of my actual batch. :) I pulled it from the internet because I was eating it at the time. Perhaps I should have posted this one (also from the internet)?

quinoa-fried-recipe-6.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Call me an oddball but that actually looks rather tasty.

It is. :) If you have not tried quinoa and you eat rice, then this is definitely something you should try. Quinoa has much better nutritional value than rice, and it is more satisfying. It cooks using the same exact directions as rice. 1 cup of uncooked quinoa makes about 3 cups cooked.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
It is. :) If you have not tried quinoa and you eat rice, then this is definitely something you should try. Quinoa has much better nutritional value than rice, and it is more satisfying. It cooks using the same exact directions as rice. 1 cup of uncooked quinoa makes about 3 cups cooked.

My wife eats quinoa more than I do. I'll have it sometimes instead of rice but neither would ever be a meal for me, rather, a cooked cup as a side dish.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My wife eats quinoa more than I do. I'll have it sometimes instead of rice but neither would ever be a meal for me, rather, a cooked cup as a side dish.

I love rice. But at 45carbs/cup of cooked brown rice to 39carbs/cup cooked quinoa, it was an easy switch for me. The exceptional nutritional content of quinoa is in a whole different class than any of the rice varieties (or any other grain). I just started using it. :) Chicken fried rice is a main dish, but you can make it with shrimp, beef, anywhere you would use rice. I am exploring ways to have it for breakfast this morning, since I have leftover cooked quinoa ready to use right now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love rice. But at 45carbs/cup of cooked brown rice to 39carbs/cup cooked quinoa, it was an easy switch for me. The exceptional nutritional content of quinoa is in a whole different class than any of the rice varieties (or any other grain). I just started using it. :) Chicken fried rice is a main dish, but you can make it with shrimp, beef, anywhere you would use rice. I am exploring ways to have it for breakfast this morning, since I have leftover cooked quinoa ready to use right now.

Quinoa spinach omelette bites (quinoa for breakfast!)

quinoa-spinach-omelette-bites5.jpg

These are DELICIOUS, and I made them this morning (mine are the ones below)

20151005_160002.jpg

I used mozzarella in my recipe, and the ones above used cheddar which is why they are more yellow. You can do these a variety of different ways (like you might include in an omelette). I started with this recipe:

Stuff you need:

Muffin pan (you only need to use 5 cups in the pan)
Cooking spray or butter
Mixing bowl

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked quinoa
2 large eggs
1 tbsp parsley
3/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt (more to taste or add after cooking)
3/4 cup cheese (cheddar or mozarella or mix the two)
3/4 cup cooked or raw spinach (chopped)
chopped onion (optional)

Preparation:
  1. Shred the cheese and set aside
  2. Warm the cooked quinoa in the microwave for one minute
  3. Put the hot quinoa in a mixing bowl and add the cheese. It should melt into the quinoa.
  4. Add remaining ingredients including eggs and stir until well mixed.
  5. Spoon mixture into non-stick muffin tray (this recipe will make only about 5 omelette bites, so do not prep the entire pan with spray or butter). FILL EACH CUP TO THE TOP.
  6. Bake at 350 until tops start to brown (about 20 min)
When done, the omelette bites should pop out of the muffin tray very easily without leaving anything behind. :) These are tasty and filling. Two of them is enough to get you started for the day with plenty of protein. This was a great recipe for me because I keep forgetting how much quinoa comes from only a cup of uncooked. One cup of uncooked quinoa makes about three cups of cooked (using two cups of water). So, unless you plan to use three cups of quinoa in a dish, you are going to have a significant amount left over. This is perfect for that.

Add bacon, mushrooms, sausage, whatever you want to these. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Quinoa has the rare advantage of being a "complete protein", correct? (I'm too lazy to look it up.)