Happy new year everybody!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year! we had no alcohol...but loads of sunshine and warm weather! and nope we weren't in Indy! Hubby surprised me with an after christmas cruise! (I really don't deserve him!) we left on monday and flew back home today. We spent new year's eve at sea and flew home today. it was a wonderful surprise! :D:D

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Would you say then the new year is off to a bad start? :P

Absolutely! When I started my computer this morning I had a nice little virus waiting for me - "XP Internet Security 2012". It is designed to look like an operating system feature and it blocked my browser from accessing the internet. I was able to remove it by scanning with my anti-virus program.

I don't think I picked it up on Gatefans, but here is some uninstall information just in case.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-xp-internet-security-2012

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, it is a spoof designed to fool people into thinking it is their antivirus program. If you click OK to its prompt it's got you.

S

Stonelesscutter

Absolutely! When I started my computer this morning I had a nice little virus waiting for me - "XP Internet Security 2012". It is designed to look like an operating system feature and it blocked my browser from accessing the internet. I was able to remove it by scanning with my anti-virus program.

I don't think I picked it up on Gatefans, but here is some uninstall information just in case.

Who still uses XP these days! :P

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Yes, it is a spoof designed to fool people into thinking it is their antivirus program. If you click OK to its prompt it's got you.

And if you click on it you are given the option to purchase the "full" version of the virus. It is like someone dumping a huge pile of manure on your driveway and then offering to remove most of it for a small fee. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is it a politically correct ark? Will it also include same-sex couples from all species?
Hmm....that could be a whole new thread. How would gay marriage proponents reconcile the needs of an ark to preserve Humanity with the need to have same sex MARRIED couples? :icon_question:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I know all about that one, as well as a few variants. They all do much the same thing, pop up an official looking web page which evidently shows that you are infected and that it is scanning your computer (finding all sorts of bad stuff). Its just an animated trick. Once you click anywhere on it, the agent will install in your IE temp folder and continue to bug and nag. The other tool mentioned earlier ComboFix will fix that one as well. :)

G

Graybrew1

Who still uses XP these days! :P

I do.;)

Several Medical Pacs Systems still need it. I can't even use Vista for them. I have two old computers with XP on them for that exact reason. One other interesting note...Pitney Bowes, is not compatible with Seven still. It is mind boggling to me that Microsoft brought out Seven when you can't even use it with the US Postal Service software. :confused:

Happy New Year to all.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That should be blamed in the USPS not Microsoft. To not have fixed their software with the huge amount of lead time they had is pure laziness.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
i do aswell since it has def advantages such as lower overall RAM hunger and personally i have a great familiarity with the OS and as such i can fix tweak and or repair anything myself without having to contact someone else and ask for advice or help (om1 can attest to that)

but a dutch newschool brat as yourself stoneless wouldnt understand that now would you all you care about is newer (not prettier) graphics that is almost a carbon copy of OSX ;)

G

Graybrew1

That should be blamed in the USPS not Microsoft. To not have fixed their software with the huge amount of lead time they had is pure laziness.

I have a few printers that are still not compatible either. I assume that Seven is too complicated for some of them. I think Microsoft should bare some of that blame.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I have a few printers that are still not compatible either. I assume that Seven is too complicated for some of them. I think Microsoft should bare some of that blame.
indeed backwards compatibility doesnt seem to be a priority to MS these days it could possibly and most likly even be intentional to drive MASS consumerism.. damn shame really as for one there are some great older softwares and games that do not work on 7 or vista even after this amount of time and im positive that wont change for the coming windows versions either.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually 7 has lower hardware needs than Vista and is a VERY well crafted OS - much better than OSX. And on the compatibility front the main problem is poorly written software (including drivers) acting like they need admin rights when they really don't. The only printers still not compatible are older ones that the manufacturers never bothered to update.

S

Stonelesscutter

I do.;)

Several Medical Pacs Systems still need it. I can't even use Vista for them. I have two old computers with XP on them for that exact reason. One other interesting note...Pitney Bowes, is not compatible with Seven still. It is mind boggling to me that Microsoft brought out Seven when you can't even use it with the US Postal Service software. :confused:

Happy New Year to all.

It's not MS's fault that the postal service lives in medieval times.

Indeed.

i do aswell since it has def advantages such as lower overall RAM hunger and personally i have a great familiarity with the OS and as such i can fix tweak and or repair anything myself without having to contact someone else and ask for advice or help (om1 can attest to that)

but a dutch newschool brat as yourself stoneless wouldnt understand that now would you all you care about is newer (not prettier) graphics that is almost a carbon copy of OSX ;)

While on the subject of carbon copies, that post of yours is almost a copy of another post you just made. ;)

I bet they're HP printers. :P I hate those. Anyway. Windows 7 automatically detects all kinds of hardware and installs drivers for them that previously had to be manually installed, both old and new. If you have hardware that still doesn't work though you should go to the website of the manufacturer and I'm sure you'll find updates or patches there you can install to fix the problem.

indeed backwards compatibility doesnt seem to be a priority to MS these days it could possibly and most likly even be intentional to drive MASS consumerism.. damn shame really as for one there are some great older softwares and games that do not work on 7 or vista even after this amount of time and im positive that wont change for the coming windows versions either.

Windows 7 has better compatibility with older software than all other Windows editions so far. For the few very old things that don't work you can run a DOSbox or a Virtual PC. Easy as pie. I even run Amiga games on it for christ's sake. And I'm sure if I'd want to I could also run C64, MSX, Atari, Nintendo, Sega or Playstation stuff on it. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's not MS's fault that the postal service lives in medieval times.

Indeed.

While on the subject of carbon copies, that post of yours is almost a copy of another post you just made. ;)

I bet they're HP printers. :P I hate those. Anyway. Windows 7 automatically detects all kinds of hardware and installs drivers for them that previously had to be manually installed, both old and new. If you have hardware that still doesn't work though you should go to the website of the manufacturer and I'm sure you'll find updates or patches there you can install to fix the problem.

Windows 7 has better compatibility with older software than all other Windows editions so far. For the few very old things that don't work you can run a DOSbox or a Virtual PC. Easy as pie. I even run Amiga games on it for christ's sake. And I'm sure if I'd want to I could also run C64, MSX, Atari, Nintendo, Sega or Playstation stuff on it. ;)

I LOVE WINDOWS 7!

Untitled-1.png

Not only am I able to work effortlessly with Windows 7, but I have VMware Workstation and I can and do run Mac OSX Snow Leopard in a virtual machine, along with Windows 2003 Server, 2008 Server (with Exchange), Ubuntu, CentOS, a Playstation emulator, Windows Vista, and of course...Windows XP. :)