Farscape Possible Sequel Film

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
http://www.blastr.com/2014-2-21/frell-yes-sequel-film-farscape-early-phases-development

It’s been more than a decade since Farscape came to an end, but most fans still carry around a Moya-sized hole in their hearts. Well, good news -- more Farscape could be on the way.

It’s being reported that Justin Monjo, who wrote several episodes of the originalFarscape series, is working on a screenplay for a new Farscape film (likely a TV movie) which would pick up the story of John Crichton and company several years after the end of the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries.

The report comes via screenwriter news site if.com.au, and also notes Monjo is penning the pilot for HBO’s new Peter Dinklage-led sci-fi/fantasy project The Beasts of Valhalla. That sounds cool, too, but what has us chomping at the bit is the thought of some new Farscape adventures.

The plot line is pretty thin at the moment, though Monjo has apparently revealed the story will follow John and Aeryn’s 19-year-old son, who is discovered in hiding and forced to rejoin his parents on their spaceship. The project will apparently be directed by Brian Henson, with Jim Henson Productions. Henson served as a producer forFarscape’s entire run, though his directorial credits are a bit thin, with just a handful of scattered television episodes on the list.

This is obviously great news, and we’re psyched to hear there’s momentum to bringFarscape back to life, but there’s no obvious indication that series creator Rockne S. O’Bannon (Revolution, Defiance) is involved in any meaningful way. He was the heart and soul of the series, and we just hope Monjo and Henson make it a point to involve him if this actually gets off the ground.

What do you think? Are you glad to hear there’s a chance Farscape could come back to life after all these years?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I like that they might bring it back but I have to say, I'm hesitant about adding a "19yo son" to the cast. I can't remember how Peace Keeper Wars ended to be honest, and I do hope they don't change things dramatically from what the TV series was.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Peacekeeper Wars ended with the birth of their son. However, it also tied up all the stories so there really is nowhere for the story to go. The Eidelons are back and the Scarrans and Peacekeepers are no longer at war. Presumably the Eidelons will guide the Peacekeepers back to being what they were intended to be.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Peacekeeper Wars ended with the birth of their son. However, it also tied up all the stories so there really is nowhere for the story to go. The Eidelons are back and the Scarrans and Peacekeepers are no longer at war. Presumably the Eidelons will guide the Peacekeepers back to being what they were intended to be.

Well obviously the writers will have to come up with some sort of conflict in order to have a story. My fear is a radical departure from what we know as Farscape. And that's the problem with continuing to mess with beloved stories; they often end up worse because of it. It's something that has to be done with respect and fidelity to the story and characters.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

It will bomb...Farscape's story was ended pretty cleanly, so this is really not needed. Why is everybody in Hollywood ignoring FIREFLY????????

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It will bomb...Farscape's story was ended pretty cleanly, so this is really not needed. Why is everybody in Hollywood ignoring FIREFLY????????

Bingo!

They would need to have a new ship and crew because both Nathan Fillon and Gina Torres are stars of their own shows now, but the general story and the universe are RIPE for more exploration.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I'd love more Firefly but I fear it wouldn't be the same as what it was should it return.

Bingo!

They would need to have a new ship and crew because both Nathan Fillon and Gina Torres are stars of their own shows now, but the general story and the universe are RIPE for more exploration.

This is exactly what I mean. It wouldn't be Firefly.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

The original story arc ended but there's so much they can still do with Farscape. It's not like they moved to Wisconsin with nowhere to go from there. :(

That's one show I'd welcome back. If they mess it up, well, I'll just ignore it. :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The original story arc ended but there's so much they can still do with Farscape. It's not like they moved to Wisconsin with nowhere to go from there. :(

giphy.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That's one show I'd welcome back. If they mess it up, well, I'll just ignore it. :D

Sure....they can pick up the show after Aeryn has a baby and then make the show a family show with Chrichton and Aeryn and the baby, and dump all the other characters. :) They can kill off Chrichton and Aeryn and replace them with a teen version of the two (so they can grow up on the show), and please lets get Elyse Levesque to play the part. Lets use Taylor Lautner too. :facepalm:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sure....they can pick up the show after Aeryn has a baby and then make the show a family show with Chrichton and Aeryn and the baby, and dump all the other characters. :) They can kill off Chrichton and Aeryn and replace them with a teen version of the two (so they can grow up on the show), and please lets get Elyse Levesque to play the part. Lets use Taylor Lautner too. :facepalm:

On the upside though the kid is 19 years old now so that means no lame ass "stolen baby" story line. It also means no lame ass "baby matures into an adult in three days time" story line. God knows if it's one thing that will ruin a scifi show like a cement turd clogging up a sewer pipe it's baby-centric story lines. The writers always eff them up and the viewers never really give a shit about baby story lines to begin with.

The downside of this though is exactly what you listed -- the chance that this show could degenerate into teen angst nonsense. So it's kind of a Catch 22 situation no matter how you slice it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not sure there really is anywhere to take the story now. The war is over - the Eidelons have returned. The crew of Moya are no longer hunted by anyone. What would the story be? Tell the tale of how the Eidelons teach the Peacekeepers and turn them back to their original purpose?

I'd much rather see new stories in the Firefly universe. Just follow a different ship. Explore the repercussions of the big battle at the end of "Serenity" (that the alliance won and which greatly cut down the number of Reavers about).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not sure there really is anywhere to take the story now. The war is over - the Eidelons have returned. The crew of Moya are no longer hunted by anyone. What would the story be? Tell the tale of how the Eidelons teach the Peacekeepers and turn them back to their original purpose?

I'd much rather see new stories in the Firefly universe. Just follow a different ship. Explore the repercussions of the bug battle at the end of "Serenity" (that the alliance won and which greatly cut down the number of Reavers about).

Completely agree. The story was wrapped up more cleanly than most science fiction shows (at least those which the writers bothered to end). Babylon 5 could not be rekindled for the same reason (by far the best story conclusion). BSG's ending (the new one) sucked. But Farscape's story has pretty much ended. That is why I mentioned the family thing, because what else can they do?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Don't get me started on the ending on new BSG.....IMHO the worst series ending to a sci fi show ever.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Fair enough...worst ending to any TV show ever.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Didn't like BSG myself. To me it wasn't science fiction but more space drama

Season 1 was good. The first part of season 2 was also good, but midway in season 2, somebody demped a whole box of laundry soap into the works, and suds started coming from everywhere. Not even the Cylons were immune. Then the religious stuff...:( I stopped watching after that.

BSG = Bad Soapy Garbage

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True enough. I always identify the place where BSG started to go downhill as the S2 episode Pegasus.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True enough. I always identify the place where BSG started to go downhill as the S2 episode Pegasus.
YES! You are right...initially I was excited to see the "real" Battlestar Galactica, but it was the Pegasus. I took it as a cheap shot at tying the new series to the old series, and it failed. Everything went soapy and cheesy after that. :(