Why the Finn storyline was made intentionally pointless

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Finn and all he does is pointless right? I mean everything he does is really inconsequential in the main scheme isn't it?

As if all of his scenes and plot lines--think him and Rose on the gambling planet-- are basically throwaway ones

But why? It is as if all of his scenes were put in, in such a way as to be easily taken out without impacting the rest of the story

And I am not just talking about the posters released in China

IMO, his scenes were so unneeded and so throwaway on purpose just in case Chinese censors would not allow the movie to play in country at all with his character in the film.

Think about it-- every scene he is in, just what did he do important? even when he was supposed to be a big help to Han and Chewie- he wasn't-- unneeded and easy to cut him out of a Chinese version and still have Han and Chewie get access to the base

and he seems to be of help to Rey in escaping her planet, but was he? He didn't know how to fly, they could have easily had Rey steal the FALCON all on her own

same goes for every other scene as well

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Finn and all he does is pointless right? I mean everything he does is really inconsequential in the main scheme isn't it?

As if all of his scenes and plot lines--think him and Rose on the gambling planet-- are basically throwaway ones

But why? It is as if all of his scenes were put in, in such a way as to be easily taken out without impacting the rest of the story

And I am not just talking about the posters released in China

IMO, his scenes were so unneeded and so throwaway on purpose just in case Chinese censors would not allow the movie to play in country at all with his character in the film.

Think about it-- every scene he is in, just what did he do important? even when he was supposed to be a big help to Han and Chewie- he wasn't-- unneeded and easy to cut him out of a Chinese version and still have Han and Chewie get access to the base

and he seems to be of help to Rey in escaping her planet, but was he? He didn't know how to fly, they could have easily had Rey steal the FALCON all on her own

same goes for every other scene as well

I disagree. Finn's backstory was WAY more interesting than Rey, and the entire trilogy should have been about his heroes journey from being a Stormtrooper to becoming a Jedi (trained by Luke), and joining with him and Leia and Han and the rest in destroying the dumb First Order. Rey was the one who was inserted. Her entire story could have been removed from the entire trilogy without ANY effect whatsoever. There would never have had to be a return of Palpatine, because Snoke was supposed to be the main antagonist, not Palpatine (who died in ROTJ). JJ Abrams set Finn up to be more than he turned out to be. Rian Johnson ruined it in TLJ.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I disagree. Finn's backstory was WAY more interesting than Rey, and the entire trilogy should have been about his heroes journey from being a Stormtrooper to becoming a Jedi (trained by Luke), and joining with him and Leia and Han and the rest in destroying the dumb First Order. Rey was the one who was inserted. Her entire story could have been removed from the entire trilogy without ANY effect whatsoever. There would never have had to be a return of Palpatine, because Snoke was supposed to be the main antagonist, not Palpatine (who died in ROTJ). JJ Abrams set Finn up to be more than he turned out to be. Rian Johnson ruined it in TLJ.

this is not necessarily about story or johnson.. it could have been any movie in any genre

the two main factors are china and a black actor

there is evidence of these backstops done by disney in things like changing the posters to minimize Finn. i am totally convinced that there is a copy of all three films without him in it at all-- or any black actors for that matter... disney was prepared just in case a Chinese censor went that far in their requests

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Why would Chinese be against black people?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They are. Big time. In fact, right now during this coronavirus thing, some restaurants and other establishments in China openl banned black people from the premises to push a narrative that they are more susceptible and are carriers The restaurant in question? McDonald's China:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/business/mcdonalds-china-coronavirus-sign-trnd/index.html

they are sweeping africans up from the streets in random police sweeps.... african nations have been threatening to end their official and economic relationships with china,, dont know if they have yet @Lord Ba'al

and of course, there is the long standing cultural racism thing:

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and removing others characters from the story- like Rey, would have required re -editing, maybe re-shoots

finn has really no important interactions with anyone,, removing him completely would not require any other adjustments

watch one of the movies and FF through all of his scenes... you'll see what i mean. Though not as well if you had never seen him in the movie at all though

DISNEY doing this is a rough equivalent to what the NBA has done to not piss of the chinese govt

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
wow, coincidence!! this guy posted this the day of or after i posted this thread

anyway, this guy is one of the dozens of american and western professionals that were oh so quietly forced out of china for various reasons, mainly because of how the govt did not like his social media depictions of life in china. his wife is chinese so now they live in taiwan or singapore... not sure

the point is, there is so much more to what i am saying apparently

not just sw's

--Disney had to take out virtually all the Chow Yun Fat scenes in pirates of the Caribbean because Chinese could not be depicted as being pirates

--remember LOOPER with Hayden Christensen i think? guess the company that made got wind that the Chinese govt was not going to let the film play there unless they included dialogue that portrays china as a nation better then france in the future. so a character was made to say to another to tell him to go to china rather than france because in the future, china is better

--Winnie the Pooh is banned as someone in china thinks that the Pooh looks like their leader Xi Jinping

amazing just how much american and other nations companies will kiss china ass to make some money.. i hope that covid19 helps to put a stop to this

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
wow, coincidence!! this guy posted this the day of or after i posted this thread

anyway, this guy is one of the dozens of american and western professionals that were oh so quietly forced out of china for various reasons, mainly because of how the govt did not like his social media depictions of life in china. his wife is chinese so now they live in taiwan or singapore... not sure

the point is, there is so much more to what i am saying apparently

not just sw's

--Disney had to take out virtually all the Chow Yun Fat scenes in pirates of the Caribbean because Chinese could not be depicted as being pirates

--remember LOOPER with Hayden Christensen i think? guess the company that made got wind that the Chinese govt was not going to let the film play there unless they included dialogue that portrays china as a nation better then france in the future. so a character was made to say to another to tell him to go to china rather than france because in the future, china is better

--Winnie the Pooh is banned as someone in china thinks that the Pooh looks like their leader Xi Jinping

amazing just how much american and other nations companies will kiss china ass to make some money.. i hope that covid19 helps to put a stop to this

Trump will put an end to it. China has been a corporate sugar daddy for too long, and our government has been too lax on enforcing fair trade. By the same token, why are we doing any business with Saudi Arabia? Why do we have bases there, and why are we friendly with them?

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Trump will put an end to it. China has been a corporate sugar daddy for too long, and our government has been to lax on enforcing fair trade. By the same token, why are we doing any business with Saudi Arabia? Why do we have bases there, and why are we friendly with them?

saudi arabia HAS made some signif changes in last 18 months or so

woman no longer need to:
--wear any part of hijab or abaya in public
-- can go out in public alone or with an unrelated man
--can drive any car so long as they are licensed again without any male accompaniment

there have also been political and other social changes as well such as stripping the 'religious police' of their powers to enforce observance of prayer times and shop closures, as well as their ability to enforce any clothing or "decency" standards
they have also made some signif changes in the society to be more welcoming and to facilitate the needs of foreign tourists

something that seems insig to many of us, including us here, is that there are several pre muslim christian sites in Saudi arabia.. archaeological sites. till now they were barely known to outside scholarship or the world in general and were forbidden for any non Muslim scientists to visit--the govt did not want to allow a history of pre muslim Christianity flourishing in any art of saudi arabia to be known to the outside world

there are jewish sites as well

in the centuries before islam, a large portion of the arab population there were either jewish or christian the rest being pagans.. mohammed,as a wandering merchant, was most likely a jew by religion

the govt allowing this knowledge of these sites to be public is huge as it furhter takes away the islamists authority and helps to give a more secular tone

so, they are coming along ever since this younger prince has taken over

i still wont be visiting anytime soon or packing up the family and moving to Jeddah

------------------
the only us military presence in saudi now is what it once was pre gulf war.. a small military training unit attached tothe us embassy staff. i actually was tasked out to help them train saudi army artillery surveyors back in 93

all other units have been moved to kuwait, jordan, bahrain, quatar or uae and oman

this new peace deal trump just brokered--you wouldn't know it watching cnn or msnbc--with the UAE and israel is a big deal

besides stopping israeli takeover of Palestinian lands it also allows for some sort of "Soft" intel and military alliance of a sort with israel, egypt, saudi, jordan and the uae that will be mainly focused on defense of the area against iran

this will also help us to continue to disengage from the area

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only blacks that China can tolerate are those that play basketball.
Yes, or are comedians. Considering how the Chinese live, I doubt many black people really care what the Chinese think. They even show their disdain for black people while running businesses in Africa. Even so, marriages between Chinese men and black African women are on the rise, as are mixed Chinese/African children. It's weird.