Why I miss real Trek and why NuTrek isn't it

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I thought I'd put some thoughts out about why none of NuTrek really Trek, and why I miss real Trek.

First,NuTrek seems to be more of just a space actioner than something which has something real to say about society (like Classic Trek did). This is even true of Strange New Worlds. What I mean here is that while NuTrek does attempt commentary it typically is very one sided (which Classic Trek was not) and heavy handed usually too. You can predict where on the political spectrum all the commentary will land in NuTrek, that it will not represent any sides other than its chosen one and that it will lack subtlety.

Second, NuTrek has a BAD habit of having the characters mannerisms and speech be that of the 2020s which compromises the suspension of disbelief. You've seen me also refer to glib dialogue which feels unprofessional. Classic Trek had a dialogue style which was timeless and FELT like people in the future.

Third, while I am not a total canon purist (which is necessary because Classic Trek disrupted its own canon on several past occasions), NuTrek tends to play TOO fast and loose with canon. This ranges from reusing Classic characters but not having them be true to character to name dropping things in places where they break continuity.

I will close for now with my current ranking of NuTrek shows:

1) Strange New Worlds - no contest here. It is BY FAR the best nuTrek. It has the correct optimistic tone overall and the episodic format helps a lot too. It is FAR from perfect but has a decently charismatic cast who mostly give okay to good performances.

2) Lower Decks - as insulting as it was and woke as it got at times and it was more like a Rick and Morty cartoon it was at least more canonical than its predecessors.

3) Picard - the show is woke and the story writing an insult to rational thinking. Some decent acting (Frakes, DeLancie) but you could feel your brain cells dying as you watched.

4) STD - The initials are appropriate. Bad acting, SJW to the max, terrible writing, total disregard for canon. Remember that this piece of crap and Picard led directly to the need for SNW - and that show is a pretty radical course correction from these two.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Obviously feel free either to agree or disagree. This is after all GateFans where we both have and allow the entire spectrum of thinking. And where we have our dysfunctional family.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Obviously feel free either to agree or disagree. This is after all GateFans where we both have and allow the entire spectrum of thinking. And where we have our dysfunctional family.
Ok, I'll bite! :anim_59:

I will close for now with my current ranking of NuTrek shows:

1) Strange New Worlds - no contest here. It is BY FAR the best nuTrek. It has the correct optimistic tone overall and the episodic format helps a lot too. It is FAR from perfect but has a decently charismatic cast who mostly give okay to good performances.

I agree, it IS the best NuTrek. It does have the optimistic tone overall, and it has an episodic format. The cast needs some work, because there is no chemistry and it is female-heavy. Spock provides no balance to the men in the cast, and M'Benga struggles against the energy of the young woman they cast as Nurse Chapel. The casting of Anson Mount as Captain Pike is an absolute win. He has the look, the presence and demeanor of a proper Starfleet Captain in the Roddenberry vein. Unfortunately, the major weak links in the show is in the writing, and the ship itself. It tries too hard to LOOK and SOUND "science-y", but the writers clearly are not consulting anyone on the science. The ship, it moves unnaturally in space, as do all the other ships. They are "darty" and move a bit too fast. They do not look realistic to me at all. Also, they are experimenting with new camera angles which are disorienting or make the ship look ungainly. The package taken as a whole is still not quite Star Trek to me. I am unwilling to settle for it.

2) Lower Decks - as insulting as it was and woke as it got at times and it was more like a Rick and Morty cartoon it was at least more canonical than its predecessors.

This show, I actually found watchable after about 3 episodes. It is CLEARLY a parody, and as such, it is watchable to me. Being animated, I found the mental separation of this from Star Trek to be rather easy. Kinda like watching a Star Trek skit on Saturday Night Live, or a Rick and Morty themed episode arc.

3) Picard - the show is woke and the story writing an insult to rational thinking. Some decent acting (Frakes, DeLancie) but you could feel your brain cells dying as you watched.

This show is trash. The writing, the characters, Picard himself, every character they have brought into it, fake Seven of Nine, I hate the show. Complete garbage. That is all. :smiley-015:

4) STD - The initials are appropriate. Bad acting, SJW to the max, terrible writing, total disregard for canon. Remember that this piece of crap and Picard led directly to the need for SNW - and that show is a pretty radical course correction from these two.

This show had potential, but they blew it IMO. The whole thing has been an experiment with angles on NuTrek, and the convoluted canon of this and past seasons have just made it a mess. It has been running 2 seasons too long, and should be canceled.

All my opinions!

I am not going to forgive these shows, or settle for less than Star Trek. Interestingly, it appears that Seth McFarlane is going to give us something even better!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi there!

Shadow Mann, I don't think there is any need to forgive Secret Hideout. They caused the mess they are in and they need to take responsibility for it and fix it (unlikely of course).

As to the show having poor understanding of physical science ALL of NuTrek shows that. Also while SNW has plot incongruities they are not on the level of the outright dumb plot issues in Picard for example. Did you see this thread:

I'd like to see your comment on those because none of them are deeper dive canon items - all were discoverable with a 10 second web search.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Hi there!

Shadow Mann, I don't think there is any need to forgive Secret Hideout. They caused the mess they are in and they need to take responsibility for it and fix it (unlikely of course).

As to the show having poor understanding of physical science ALL of NuTrek shows that. Also while SNW has plot incongruities they are not on the level of the outright dumb plot issues in Picard for example. Did you see this thread:

I'd like to see your comment on those because none of them are deeper dive canon items - all were discoverable with a 10 second web search.
GREAT LIST!

I am thinking of more stuff to add to it, but I actually have not seen all of Season 2 yet. I ran out of life force. I will have to watch. I was gifted a Paramount+ subscription from a friend, so I can watch them when I want. Picard and Strange New Worlds have done the most canon damage to the IP, but Discovery by far is the worst of the lot IMO. Strange New Worlds is the best of the lot, but it still is under the bar as far as being Star Trek to me at least.