This metal can turn salt water into drinking water and even fuel

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Researchers at Purdue University have developed a special metal alloy that can spontaneously split saltwater into hydrogen and oxygen, generating both hydrogen fuel and clean fresh water at the same time.
The metal alloy is mostly aluminum, with some gallium, indium and tin thrown in for good measure. When submerged in water, the alloy causes a spontaneous reaction that boils the water to generate steam while also splitting off hydrogen gas. The steam can the be condensed into sterilized drinking water, while the hydrogen goes into a fuel cell to generate electricity. This process will continue until the aluminum is all used up, leaving non-toxic aluminum hydroxide waste behind, which you can either put in a landfill or eat if you have an ulcer.
This reaction doesn't need purified water to work. It'll do just fine with dirty water, or even salt water, which opens up all kinds of possibilities. Primarily, the researchers are looking to develop a small (sub 100 pound), inexpensive, entirely self-contained water purifier and power generator that could be air-dropped into remote villages in Africa. The overall cost for the system works out to be about $1 per gallon of fresh water and $0.35 per kilowatt of electricity, which is pretty cheap considering that no infrastructure is required besides the reactor itself.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/this-metal-can.php

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So I'm assuming this technology could be used to desalinate sea water which could then be used for human consumption? If they can do it for small villages in Africa why couldn't they do it for large communities in say southern California? Current desalinization methods are (off the top of my head and not based on any research) too expensive currently for wide scale use. (Although as I understand it places like Saudi Arabia currently use desalinization plants for their water needs, so go figure.)

Water has been an issue in the American southwest forever. There is a wild and violent history over water rights and getting water to Los Angeles for instance was no easy feat. Water rights are still contentious in the southwest with no relief in sight. I've always wondered why desalinization methods for sea water haven't been explored more since the ocean is right there.

S

Stonelesscutter

This is a nice discovery.
I'm curious to see how this will develop over time.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This is a nice discovery.
I'm curious to see how this will develop over time.

Oh please! You're just curious as to how this new technology can help you further your diabolical goal for world domination. Today a small village in Africa, tomorrow the world!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I am curious to know if it could be an alternate energy source for hybrid electric cars
That would be cool...........

mr_fusion.jpg

S

Stonelesscutter

Oh please! You're just curious as to how this new technology can help you further your diabolical goal for world domination. Today a small village in Africa, tomorrow the world!

I don't need it to achieve world domination.
I already have you. ;)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Wow, wish I knew more science. This could have dramatic repercussions. Wonder what the energy output is.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Wow, wish I knew more science. This could have dramatic repercussions. Wonder what the energy output is.

Yeah, that's exactly what I wondered too. If the cost of making the alloy on a large scale isn't prohibitively high then it would seem to be the way to go. It would revolutionize our entire way of life.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Hmmm...

This is very interesting, but not all that spectacular for a chemist. We knew how to do that already, just that it involved lacing the Aluminum with Mercury instead of the Gallium, Indium and Tin, something which was undesirable due to Mercury's high toxicity to humans and the environment.

Aluminum doesn't 'burn' spontaneously in contact with air or humidity only because it rapidly forms a thin but very tough layer of oxide that protects the metal. Adding some heavy metals to it hinders that coating capability and allows the metal to oxidize further. It's a fun experiment to do in the lab just to apply a Mercury compound to any piece of Aluminum and watch it corrode away and heat intensely in air.

Those scientists probably found a way to replace Mercury with other metals which are much less toxic - perhaps even safe. Neat accomplishment, but not a 'sensational breakthrough' nor a discovery that will revolutionize life in any way IMO. Specially when considering that the energy consumed just to produce metallic Aluminum from its mineral ore could be used to boil the water or break it up into Hydrogen fuel by electrolysis many times over...