The Power of Positive Thinking

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The power of positive thinking does not mean becoming some delusional, perky, unrealistic person who refuses to believe that the world is not just unicorns and jelly beans. :) It means placing things in proper perspective, recognizing the negative things (because they DO exist), and also recognizing positive things. It means being able to put everything in perspective, and to adjust your mindset in such a way where you can balance the two objectively, without making illogical value judgements. There are lots of tools to do this. Post things you find here, but NOT things that attempt to debunk positivity.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here are some videos which might help:

Being positive also means being a realist. Positivity taken too far can become delusion or allow you to be unrealistic about things.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Being positive means being able to speak positively about others too...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Being positive does not mean being delusional. This is a realistic video on positivity:

People who should be avoided are those who only want to SELL you positivity. Examples are Tony Robbins and Brendon Bruchard who call themselves "motivational coaches", whose venues are arenas and auditoriums where people come and are asked to buy books or tapes or videos or to subscribe to something. AVOID AT ALL COSTS (pun intended). Instead, learn from positive people you already know. :)

The scam of millennial motivational coaches:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lariss...millennial-motivational-coaches/#d7ef43d14e7e

Do not find yourself at one of these....

2016-11-10-16.12.51-768x589 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Here's an article by a guy whose writing style I like a lot, Mark Manson. He's not a motivational speaker per se, but rather a guy who gives good advice and makes you think. You may not agree with what he says but he gives you food for thought and ideas on how to improve the way you think and live. So that's what's positive about it, at least I think so. Your mileage may vary.

At any rate, here is a link to his most famous article: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***. This article was so popular that he turned it into a book. The book is okay but he pretty much gives you everything you need to know in this free article. I think it's positive in that he points out the importance of valuing our time and what we focus on in life. It turns out that when we stop giving f**** about certain things our lives get exponentially better, go figure.

https://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here's an article by a guy whose writing style I like a lot, Mark Manson. He's not a motivational speaker per se, but rather a guy who gives good advice and makes you think. You may not agree with what he says but he gives you food for thought and ideas on how to improve the way you think and live. So that's what's positive about it, at least I think so. Your mileage may vary.

At any rate, here is a link to his most famous article: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***. This article was so popular that he turned it into a book. The book is okay but he pretty much gives you everything you need to know in this free article. I think it's positive in that he points out the importance of valuing our time and what we focus on in life. It turns out that when we stop giving f**** about certain things our lives get exponentially better, go figure.

LOVE his perspective! It speaks to my current viewpoints very closely. From that link:

This may sound easy. But it is not. Most of us, most of the time, get sucked in by life’s mean trivialities, steamrolled by its unimportant dramas; we live and die by the sidenotes and distractions and vicissitudes that suck the f**ks out of us like Sasha Grey in the middle of a gangbang.

Precisely! Once you realize that none of those things deserve two shits of your time, you can ignore them and enjoy life without them. Loved this pic:

tim-not-giving-a-fuck.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its important to make the distinctions between organized "motivational speaking" and individual (free) journeys of positive thinking. Motivational speakers like Tony Robbins and Brandon Blanchard and Robert Kiyosaki are to be avoided at all costs. Mostly because of costs! But also because they are not interested as much in helping you to think positively than they are about selling you tickets to events and selling you books and selling you tapes and videos and trinkets and t-shirts. SELLING in general. They have monetized their "help". Also, it has to be noted that churches do the same thing. They do not try to motivate you with positive thinking though, they motivate you with fear of damnation, which of course can be avoided by tithing and dropping your money in a plate.

Quick! Church or motivational seminar?

robbins_seminar.jpg

Its important to make the distinctions between organized "motivational speaking" and individual (free) journeys of positive thinking. Motivational speakers like Tony Robbins and Brandon Blanchard and Robert Kiyosaki are to be avoided at all costs. Mostly because of costs! But also because they are not interested as much in helping you to think positively than they are about selling you tickets to events and selling you books and selling you tapes and videos and trinkets and t-shirts. SELLING in general. They have monetized their "help". Also, it has to be noted that churches do the same thing. They do not try to motivate you with positive thinking though, they motivate you with fear of damnation, which of course can be avoided by tithing and dropping your money in a plate.

Quick! Church or motivational seminar?

View attachment 34748

Yes, "Prosperity Gospel" preachers are no different than motivational speakers such as Tony Robbins and his ilk. I don't want to go too far afield of the original point of positive thinking though so I won't go on a rant here. Suffice to say I think we're talking about a genuine examination of the power of positive thinking as opposed to pop motivational fluff.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, "Prosperity Gospel" preachers are no different than motivational speakers such as Tony Robbins and his ilk. I don't want to go too far afield of the original point of positive thinking though so I won't go on a rant here. Suffice to say I think we're talking about a genuine examination of the power of positive thinking as opposed to pop motivational fluff.

Yes, we are. :) And that is why I wanted to finger these particular things as being NOT a part of positive thinking. I don't want to have to clean up the thread if somebody posts anything from these P.O.S.-itive speakers, thinking they are worth more than a toilet wipe. Also, we are talking about positive thinking, not about making money. Its a fine line that many have difficulty navigating because their discernment skills are not sharp enough yet.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LAUGHTER! Its part of positive thinking. Laughter is an indication of happiness, amusement, delight, and play. There is nothing negative about the expression of laughter. And laughter is an indication of positivity. It is also contagious. if somebody laughs for long enough in a crowd of people, others will spontaneously laugh without knowing why (especially if it is a unique laugh). Its very very interesting that this is true and it is UNIVERSALLY true across the entire planet in every country in EVERY group of humans no matter what language they speak or what level of sophistication/civilization, this is the case. Cool, huh?

Laughing causes others to laugh. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I am thoroughly enjoying this guy Mark Manson. :) He speaks matter of fact, straightforward, and like one of my close friends might lay things out (raw and uncut).

I am thoroughly enjoying this guy Mark Manson. :) He speaks matter of fact, straightforward, and like one of my close friends might lay things out (raw and uncut).

At first blush he might seem a bit cynical and jocular but once you get into his essays you see that his goal is to help people improve their lives through an honest assessment of reality. His approach really is positive and helpful. He doesn't hide it under a layer of happy, crappy motivational nonsense like Tony Robbins and those other "feel good" charlatans.