Star Wars Canon: If it isn't in the films, it isn't canon - OPINION

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have said this many times over the years here, but many many Star Wars fans feel the same way. It makes no sense to hide parts of canon in comic books, game cutscenes, cartoons or other media which are not the actual films. No other franchise has been able to do this successfully, and nobody WANTS it to be this way.

Current fans of Star Wars are now being asked to buy the Rey comic books to see the hug from Leia after Han's death which was obviously missing from the movie. Leia hugs Rey, but not Chewie? This is now supposedly been fixed in the Rey comic and is declared canon? Lucasfilm DOES read the fan outrage comments, and they have now tried to fix it with games, comics and books. BOLLOCKS!

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
once again, for about the 50th time i have told you YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY A THING, a simple google search will tell you whatever you want to know

this thread is like those people who make those YT videos; something from nothing. its a non subject

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
once again, for about the 50th time i have told you YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY A THING, a simple google search will tell you whatever you want to know

this thread is like those people who make those YT videos; something from nothing. its a non subject

You ignored the video? You think I am just one guy who is irritated by the Star Wars "treasure hunt" mentality when it comes to it's canon? You are missing the point. Please watch the video. The point being made is that nobody should have to dig anywhere for answers to canon in Star Wars. Not even free searches on Google. Tell it in the movies or it just didn't happen for fans of Star Wars movies.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It should be noted that the treasure box mentality about Canon was not an issue in Star Wars until to a minor extent after the prequels and a major extent after JarJar took over. Up until then while there was a lot of EU and other non-movie material you did not need it to fill narrative gaps in the movie stories - the exception was needing Clone Wars and Rebels to try to understand the plot disconnects between the prequels and the OT and even then the lack of them did not cause cognitive dissonance the way you get when trying to watch Disney Wars after the OT.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It should be noted that the treasure box mentality about Canon was not an issue in Star Wars until to a minor extent after the prequels and a major extent after JarJar took over. Up until then while there was a lot of EU and other non-movie material you did not need it to fill narrative gaps in the movie stories - the exception was needing Clone Wars and Rebels to try to understand the plot disconnects between the prequels and the OT and even then the lack of them did not cause cognitive dissonance the way you get when trying to watch Disney Wars after the OT.

That was very well put. I have to say, Jar Jar Wars and Disney have made me much more appreciative of the prequels. I watch them, and I see a clear story tying that trilogy together, just as SW Episodes 4, 5 and 6 were continuous. And let's face it, the end of Return of the Jedi was the end of the saga. I did enjoy Rogue One immensely, and I feel it is the best of Disney Star Wars yet made. I also love the original Clone Wars animated show. Not so much Rebels, but Clone Wars Season 7 will be awesome.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There were other places but none as large.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
@Overmind One , @Joelist or anyone else, curious, where DID people post videos before youtube anyhow? i only used the net for work before YT so i have no clue

That is a good question...YouTube wasn't owned by Google when I became hip to it. Some people embedded video into their Wordpress sites like I did for a while.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There were other places but none as large.
That is a good question...YouTube wasn't owned by Google when I became hip to it. Some people embedded video into their Wordpress sites like I did for a while.

i am sure everyone has seen the first yt video ever? made by a yt creator, very short vid of him at the zoo, yt launched in feb and no one posted until he did in april

who'd a thunk it would have turned into what it has? anyhow i digress from thread, so-done