Star Trek Discovery TV Series

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ok, time for some hard info:

There has been NO filming for Season 4 of Star Trek Discovery, despite announcements and the misleading IATSE Toronto Union sheets labeling the ending of Season 3 reshoots as "Season 4". The entry for it which was being used as "proof" it was happening has been deleted from the IATSE production schedules. https://www.iatse873.com/current_productions

View attachment 35577

As of today, not a single scene has been shot for any Season 4, and no scripts have been completed. It is in "pre-production". Pinewood Toronto is going to lock down again, as will Los Angeles, further delaying Picard as well.

It was an intentional deception to label the finishing of Season 3 as "Season 4". But as you can see highlighted, it was RESUMING PRODUCTION. That would be resuming Season 3, not starting Season 4. This entry was used by shill sites as "proof" that Discovery got a Season 4, and that it would actually start filming on November 2. What actually happened is that the reshoots and fill-in shoots did start on Nov 2, and finished some time last week. There is no entry for Star Trek Discovery on the sheets, but Strange New Worlds is still on there.

no way man.. STD is a MASSIVE HIT!! its coming back for at least 5 more seasons!!!

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Personally to me the whole vision of star trek is bogus. This whole utopia view of the world. The way I see is that all these electric cars and robots is not the way humanity lives.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The overall vision of Star Trek is optimistic. I wouldn't say Utopian necessarily but it is one where mankind hashes out the big internal problems and boldly goes where no one has gone before. Even DS9 (which I hated partly because it was overly dark and moody) still adhered to this underlying optimism. And yes even the JJ Verse movies largely did also.

STD and Picard, however, portray a dark and bleak universe and dystopian future. It feels completely wrong and together with a host of other problems (poor acting, badly written dialogue, too much reference to contemporary politics) makes them awful. To be honest, had they just said that both STD and Picard occur in the mirror universe it would have gone over better.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
The overall vision of Star Trek is optimistic. I wouldn't say Utopian necessarily but it is one where mankind hashes out the big internal problems and boldly goes where no one has gone before. Even DS9 (which I hated partly because it was overly dark and moody) still adhered to this underlying optimism. And yes even the JJ Verse movies largely did also.

STD and Picard, however, portray a dark and bleak universe and dystopian future. It feels completely wrong and together with a host of other problems (poor acting, badly written dialogue, too much reference to contemporary politics) makes them awful. To be honest, had they just said that both STD and Picard occur in the mirror universe it would have gone over better.

The way I see it is that some event might trigger a dystopian future or robots taking over. I saw how deep the rabit hole goes and it was scary.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really that is not on point. STD and Picard had no business changing the underlying premise of Star Trek and no business force inserting current year politics into it. Like all Trek series they needed to work within the framework and if the writers were just unable to then don't call the shows Star Trek.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
no business force inserting current year politics into it
while i agree.. what if in TOS they didn't inject the social political events of the 60's into the show

we would not have gotten the first inter-racial kiss on american tv or many of the other morality themes that were in TOS.. like anti war

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
While they did speak to things like that, they did not directly inject current day politics into the story. They made their points in the background of a plot and did a good job of not preaching to the audience.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
While they did speak to things like that, they did not directly inject current day politics into the story. They made their points in the background of a plot and did a good job of not preaching to the audience.
oh absolutely agree..just saying it was not devoid of current issues but, i guess back then, writers were just a lot better at sending a message without making it look like a message

and the audiences were smart enough to pick up on it without it being spoon fed to them

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
oh absolutely agree..just saying it was not devoid of current issues but, i guess back then, writers were just a lot better at sending a message without making it look like a message

and the audiences were smart enough to pick up on it without it being spoon fed to them

The fandom divide is getting worse as Season 3 of Discovery plays out. Many of those who were on board for Seasons 1 and 2 are not happy with Season 3 at all. Perhaps it is the Book/Burnham thing? maybe the RIDICULOUS fantasy-tech they have come up with, perhaps the soapy dialogue and villains vs antagonists. Whatever the case, there is a hard divide between Star Trek and NuTrek, and it cannot mend. In order for Star Trek to continue, the interloper NuTrek shows must die. Proof that Star Trek can still happen is The Orville, and Axanar. Discovery is a stupid show, with stupid characters and no science. In my opinion, of course. I want to see it all erased.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It has become almost funny how bad the writing is. Their explanation for the burn was ludicrous - but then any explanation would be such because the burn was inherently ludicrous. And yes Michael Burnham is at this point the biggest Mary Sue in all of moviedom. Rey doesn't hold a candle to her. And as a result she is utterly unrelatable.

On the good side that finale felt a lot like a series finale....we can hope.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
It has become almost funny how bad the writing is. Their explanation for the burn was ludicrous - but then any explanation would be such because the burn was inherently ludicrous. And yes Michael Burnham is at this point the biggest Mary Sue in all of moviedom. Rey doesn't hold a candle to her. And as a result she is utterly unrelatable.

On the good side that finale felt a lot like a series finale....we can hope.
Guess again.... https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a34410768/star-trek-discovery-season-4-release-date/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So CBS wants to pour more money down the sinkhole. No one watches the thing and the STD boondoggle is a major reason CBS AllAccess is defunct, with the new Paramount+ absorbing shows albeit at GREATLY reduced budgets.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
no way man.. STD is a MASSIVE HIT!! its coming back for at least 5 more seasons!!!

Yes, I have to walk back my earlier comments about there not being a Season 4. It is 5 episodes in, and there is even a Season 5 on the horizon. They have been able to reduce costs by literally millions. Watch this video. Secret Hideout/CBS has invested 10 million in this tech and they can do multiple productions in the soundstages simultaneously now.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5kPzE

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, I have to walk back my earlier comments about there not being a Season 4. It is 5 episodes in, and there is even a Season 5 on the horizon. They have been able to reduce costs by literally millions. Watch this video. Secret Hideout/CBS has invested 10 million in this tech and they can do multiple productions in the soundstages simultaneously now.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5kPzE
every time i have tried to tune in to 1 episode of this nonsense - i fall asleep

and why.. WHY did they have to mess with the look of Andorians? is nothing holy any more?! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
every time i have tried to tune in to 1 episode of this nonsense - i fall asleep

and why.. WHY did they have to mess with the look of Andorians? is nothing holy any more?! :)
They are so far off canon, its just stupid. And I believe the writer's room believes they are starting with a clean slate in the future. They forgot about Daniels from Enterprise who showed us the future in this same place in the timeline, more or less. They were going all over this on Twitter. Things NuTrek have died down because there is nothing new at the moment.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They are so far off canon, its just stupid. And I believe the writer's room believes they are starting with a clean slate in the future. They forgot about Daniels from Enterprise who showed us the future in this same place in the timeline, more or less. They were going all over this on Twitter. Things NuTrek have died down because there is nothing new at the moment.
even if it were a totally stand alone, no trek mentioned, show, it would still be unwatchable, for me

stuff like this makes me long for the good old , bad stuff- like SGU!! at least you could make some sense out of that-as 'off' from the main SG story telling as it was