Random Banter

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Lol. I just played "What's your inner animal" on my Google Home mini device. Apparently I'm a kangaroo. :)
Heheheheheheh!

I just had my wife play it. Turns out she's a pretty pink flamingo. She was not happy with that, so she wanted to play again. Got some different questions. It still ended up telling her she's a flamingo. LOL!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah...I am not understanding what you want. More detail?
Okay. I would like to have a link (if possible) in the location indicated by the red box on the picture below.

lastPost.png

This is when you're in a thread, at the top of the page and the bottom of the page it displays the page numbers.

What I would like the link to do is take me straight to the newest page in the thread (in the example picture above that's page 20) and then straight through to the very latest post on that page. In other words, just a link that leads to the very newest post in that given thread.

It's a dynamic link of course, so you can't just place a hard coded link to a specific post there seeing as every time someone replies to the thread their post will become the new newest post.

See what I mean?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay. I would like to have a link (if possible) in the location indicated by the red box on the picture below.

View attachment 34329

This is when you're in a thread, at the top of the page and the bottom of the page it displays the page numbers.

What I would like the link to do is take me straight to the newest page in the thread (in the example picture above that's page 20) and then straight through to the very latest post on that page. In other words, just a link that leads to the very newest post in that given thread.

It's a dynamic link of course, so you can't just place a hard coded link to a specific post there seeing as every time someone replies to the thread their post will become the new newest post.

See what I mean?

So, you mean the first unread. The only way to flag threads in the database like that is to use the "unread".

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So, you mean the first unread. The only way to flag threads in the database like that is to use the "unread".
No, I don't mean the first unread. That was the other potential option I spoke about though. What I mean is just the very latest post in the thread. That is not necessarily the first unread. It could very well be that there are no unread posts in the thread, so where would that option take me then? Going by the indication from the other links on the forum which take you to the first unread post in a thread, if there are no unread posts in the thread, it'll instead take you to the first post on the first page of the thread. That would be the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. I want to instantly go to the last post on the last page. That would give me the option of being able to see what the most current status/topic of the thread is before I start writing something, but mostly I just want it so that I can get to the quick reply box as fast as possible. Both these things would be beneficial to me though. First unread could be handy, but that's not exactly what I meant.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, I don't mean the first unread. That was the other potential option I spoke about though. What I mean is just the very latest post in the thread. That is not necessarily the first unread. It could very well be that there are no unread posts in the thread, so where would that option take me then? Going by the indication from the other links on the forum which take you to the first unread post in a thread, if there are no unread posts in the thread, it'll instead take you to the first post on the first page of the thread. That would be the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. I want to instantly go to the last post on the last page. That would give me the option of being able to see what the most current status/topic of the thread is before I start writing something, but mostly I just want it so that I can get to the quick reply box as fast as possible. Both these things would be beneficial to me though. First unread could be handy, but that's not exactly what I meant.

So...by timestamp?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So...by timestamp?
Yeah I guess that would do the trick. Seems like such a simple thing to find the newest time stamp right? Yet I saw on Xenforo forum that people said it's not possible. That seems illogical, doesn't it Spock? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah I guess that would do the trick. Seems like such a simple thing to find the newest time stamp right? Yet I saw on Xenforo forum that people said it's not possible. That seems illogical, doesn't it Spock? :)

not possible.jpg

We shall see...:daniel_new_anime005:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Another question. This one is probably not possible.

Would it be possible to allow people to give posts multiple ratings? I sometimes see posts which I both like and find interesting and find informative and perhaps funny, yet I can only choose one rating.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Another question. This one is probably not possible.

Would it be possible to allow people to give posts multiple ratings? I sometimes see posts which I both like and find interesting and find informative and perhaps funny, yet I can only choose one rating.

Well, that is an add-on I got from Xenforo. I can see if I can mod it, but sometimes that breaks stuff. Let me work on the other thing first. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well, that is an add-on I got from Xenforo. I can see if I can mod it, but sometimes that breaks stuff. Let me work on the other thing first. :)
I just love giving people something to do.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The problem with this, is that it makes a GLOBAL change in whatever forum it is applied to. Users cannot choose to change the sort order. It applies on the forum level, not across all the forums. And you cannot apply it to individual threads. But, I can do it. Perhaps put this thread in a forum and apply it to that forum.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, it is in place. The Quick reply is at the top now, and the newest post is the one immediately under it.

Older posts follow it. This is applied across the whole site right now. If the others don't like it, I can easily change it back.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Uhm... I think that you just made a change in the sort order which screwed things up a little. Maybe best to change it back.

By the way, I was talking about a global forum thing, not just something for a particular thread. Something which would always be there, like the page numbers.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Okay, it is in place. The Quick reply is at the top now, and the newest post is the one immediately under it.

Older posts follow it. This is applied across the whole site right now. If the others don't like it, I can easily change it back.

I didn't mean changing it so that the newest post displays at the top. I meant to leave it as it was but just have a link at the top which takes you to the bottom one.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I didn't mean changing it so that the newest post displays at the top. I meant to leave it as it was but just have a link at the top which takes you to the bottom one.

Its back...I am not sure this codebase is going to allow me to do what you want. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Okay, but the "bottom" thread is the newest one. It changes the "bottom" every time a reply is written. The database needs a flag or a cookie to know what the newest "bottom" is.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What do I have to do to convince you all that I am the king of TMI?

I have congestive heart failure and renal failure that has resulted in water accumulating in my scrotum. I wear a size 5XL boxers to provide the necessary additional room.

I am getting better and can now sit at a chair with the laptop on a table for about 60 minutes at a time for multiple times during the day.

be better man... i know i would miss your presence

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm so confused.

welcome to the club....

this tech stuff is getting way too much...time for some leveling out and what is wrong with staying at a certain level? other then the marketing and profit lost from such a stall