Random Banter

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i always get tshirts in 2xl

not because i am that fat, but because i like the extra length and the extra space, especially when i am working and its hot. cant stand sweat covering shirts clinging...

anyhow, i have noticed that the shirts i recently bought, in 2xl, are too big for me, like really too big

its not that i have gotten smaller, but that the companies must be making stuff bigger

i have read there is no industry size standard. I guess some companies want to get more business by making ppl think that they are not too big...or...something

found this:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah I bought a XXL tshirt in USA a few years back, because that's the size I normally wear. It turned out to be far too large for me. A full size too large at least.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
XXLs? I have never worn that size, but I sometimes buy cotton polo shirts in XL so that when they shrink, they will become Mediums. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
XXLs? I have never worn that size, but I sometimes buy cotton polo shirts in XL so that when they shrink, they will become Mediums. :)
i started buying them for the extra length

tried the 'big and tall' extended length in xl, but too long

the 2xl is usually a good fit; plenty of length and none of that clinging while sweating

its not like i need tight shirts to show of my pecs, shoulders and traps anymore---kids stuff---all about practicality :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
yeah and the shrinking after washing

we started using cold water only for washing because that crap was happening all too often. from my clothes, my wifes even our grand daughters

the only shirts i have found that dont shrink are CARHARTS and DICKIES

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I wash at 30 degrees C to prevent shrinking. So far that works.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
ok the Thai kids that were rescued, they brought them out briefly for interviews and then rushed them away why? Because one kid mentioned they had been playing in those caves before they got flooded and had been told to stay out of them! SOOOOOOOOO the 25 year old coach is an idiot and the kids knew better! I had wondered about that. :P Also 10 days w/o food, then they said they had some candy etc with them? that story s getting hinky to me! What is sad is a brave man lost his life trying to safe these kids. THAT is the tragedy.

ok the Thai kids that were rescued, they brought them out briefly for interviews and then rushed them away why? Because one kid mentioned they had been playing in those caves before they got flooded and had been told to stay out of them! SOOOOOOOOO the 25 year old coach is an idiot and the kids knew better! I had wondered about that. :P Also 10 days w/o food, then they said they had some candy etc with them? that story s getting hinky to me! What is sad is a brave man lost his life trying to safe these kids. THAT is the tragedy.

I agree, the coach should be made to commit Seppuku during a live streaming feed for the world to witness. As for the kids, I think they should be sent to a Chinese labor camp. Internment for the next 25 years will rid them of hooliganism and shenanigans. The fact that no one involved in this incident is Japanese or Chinese is irrelevant. Crack the whip now before this nonsense gets out of hand! :daniel01:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So I went to the store where I usually buy shirts last night. I found three of the type I like but I was only gonna get one at most and I wasn't sure about the look of them, so I tried them on. They were all XXL as are the five other shirts of this sort which I've already owned for a while, some of them a few years. After fitting I put one to the side because it was too similar to the ones I already have but I still wasn't sure about two of them. They both looked alright. One of them had an overall greenish tone to it, the other one had a bit of a gray tone to it. None of the shirts I have already have a similar green in them, so that one had that going for it. The other one was ever so slightly similar to another shirt I own. Overall, I couldn't really make up my mind, but I felt I was leaning slightly towards the gray shirt. I decided to ask a female store clerk for her opinion of which one she thought looked better on me. She chose the green one. I then decided to go for the green one after all. But then she said it looked as if the shirt was too large for me and asked which size it is. I said XXL. She suggested I try a XL shirt. I said I have five more of these shirts (one of them I was wearing) and they're all XXL and they feel fine to me. She and a male colleague of hers were in agreement that it did look large and that there was a fair amount of extra space / superfluous material at the back. I told them that I did lose quite a bit of weight over the past few months. So she got me the XL sized shirt and I tried it on. It did look good, like it was the right size. When I moved my arms in certain ways however, such as for example simply posing with my hands resting on the sides of my torso just above the hips, I could feel that at the upper part of the shirt the fabric was stretched completely taut, particularly across the chest and at the seems in the armpit area. I told them that although it looked right it just didn't feel right to me. That even if I lose more weight I wouldn't be getting any slimmer around the upper torso and if I were to start working out that definitely wouldn't be the case. In the end I told them that I'd hold off for a couple of months and see whether I would lose more weight. :P She told me "You're already there" and I was like "Yeah sure, there's still plenty more to lose", patting on my belly. So I didn't purchase any shirt at all. As I said goodbye, they both had a surprised look on their face. If only she hadn't said anything about my size, I would have had a new shirt now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I went to the store where I usually buy shirts last night. I found three of the type I like but I was only gonna get one at most and I wasn't sure about the look of them, so I tried them on. They were all XXL as are the five other shirts of this sort which I've already owned for a while, some of them a few years. After fitting I put one to the side because it was too similar to the ones I already have but I still wasn't sure about two of them. They both looked alright. One of them had an overall greenish tone to it, the other one had a bit of a gray tone to it. None of the shirts I have already have a similar green in them, so that one had that going for it. The other one was ever so slightly similar to another shirt I own. Overall, I couldn't really make up my mind, but I felt I was leaning slightly towards the gray shirt. I decided to ask a female store clerk for her opinion of which one she thought looked better on me. She chose the green one. I then decided to go for the green one after all. But then she said it looked as if the shirt was too large for me and asked which size it is. I said XXL. She suggested I try a XL shirt. I said I have five more of these shirts (one of them I was wearing) and they're all XXL and they feel fine to me. She and a male colleague of hers were in agreement that it did look large and that there was a fair amount of extra space / superfluous material at the back. I told them that I did lose quite a bit of weight over the past few months. So she got me the XL sized shirt and I tried it on. It did look good, like it was the right size. When I moved my arms in certain ways however, such as for example simply posing with my hands resting on the sides of my torso just above the hips, I could feel that at the upper part of the shirt the fabric was stretched completely taut, particularly across the chest and at the seems in the armpit area. I told them that although it looked right it just didn't feel right to me. That even if I lose more weight I wouldn't be getting any slimmer around the upper torso and if I were to start working out that definitely wouldn't be the case. In the end I told them that I'd hold off for a couple of months and see whether I would lose more weight. :P She told me "You're already there" and I was like "Yeah sure, there's still plenty more to lose", patting on my belly. So I didn't purchase any shirt at all. As I said goodbye, they both had a surprised look on their face. If only she hadn't said anything about my size, I would have had a new shirt now.

Just how long has it been since you were a "smaller guy"? You probably do not realize just how much weight you have lost and how different you look. You mind-trick can also make you NOT see that you have lost weight. Your brain night still be thinking it is business as usual. Perhaps you are much leaner than you give yourself credit for, and you should be wearing XL and not XXL anymore? You did not seem that large when I met you.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just how long has it been since you were a "smaller guy"? You probably do not realize just how much weight you have lost and how different you look. You mind-trick can also make you NOT see that you have lost weight. Your brain night still be thinking it is business as usual. Perhaps you are much leaner than you give yourself credit for, and you should be wearing XL and not XXL anymore? You did not seem that large when I met you.
O I can definitely see the difference and feel it too. And the scales are also giving me information which is in line with what I'm experiencing. 97 kg now. I can also see that there's still quite a bit to be lost in the belly area, even though I lost a ton there already. But the thing is my body is a bit unusually shaped. I have fairly broad shoulders for my overall build. The upper part of my torso is also wide, but what's more unusual is that my rib cage is fairly pronounced in that it sticks out towards the front. These things combined make for a relatively larger circumference around the upper body compared to the average person, even if I were to be completely slim and trim. Then there's the fact that my back/spine has a significant curve backwards. This causes a shirt to hang loose from the shoulder blades down all the way to my butt, so there's a large area in between that's basically just filled with air. So I need a larger shirt size due to the circumference of my upper torso and that combined with the bent spine makes for a lot of wiggle room around the lower torso. No wonder they tell me that there's a lot of extra fabric at the back. No kidding! But you don't make shirts for people with my body shape, do ya!

And believe you me there is a big difference between when we met and now. I'd say about 20 kg worth. You could also really see it in my face. I'd show comparative pictures but I don't put myself on the internet like that. Perhaps in PM or something. But, gotta go to work!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I wear 34 size shorts and jeans but it boggles my mind as to how many times one 34 inch waste piece of clothing is smaller or larger than the other 34 inch waste clothing ...
;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I wear 34 size shorts and jeans but it boggles my mind as to how many times one 34 inch waste piece of clothing is smaller or larger than the other 34 inch waste clothing ...
;)

SOOOOO!! You guys haven't made a complete switch to metrics? No wonder those clothiers are fooling you! :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I buy XL boxer briefs because my genitals are so huge. It's a blessing and a curse. You guys have no idea.

You know in men of a certain age--ours, excess fluid can build up between the testicles and the skin causing enlargement....you should get that checked out.... ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
TMI gentlemen!