OMNI's Art Thread

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Speak on, I don't have the skill set to do these things, but I am interested in how they come about.

phew there is so much really i dont know where to start.. but think of it this way EVERYTHING is a cheat in some form or another.
i wish i knew of a CGI primer..

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
phew there is so much really i dont know where to start.. but think of it this way EVERYTHING is a cheat in some form or another.
i wish i knew of a CGI primer..

Have you ever thought about doing a FRAPS capture of a basic model? You could make something that takes about 15 minutes to make, and show it as a tutorial. I have the programs you are using to make what you make, but I dont have your skill in them, and I have no idea how to use them, other than creating basic stuff shown in the tutorials. Just thinking about all the shapes and objects you needed to create to make your Atlantis and Destiny is mind boggling to me. Then, you go and ANIMATE them too? :icon_eek:

Q

OMNI

Have you ever thought about doing a FRAPS capture of a basic model? You could make something that takes about 15 minutes to make, and show it as a tutorial. I have the programs you are using to make what you make, but I dont have your skill in them, and I have no idea how to use them, other than creating basic stuff shown in the tutorials. Just thinking about all the shapes and objects you needed to create to make your Atlantis and Destiny is mind boggling to me. Then, you go and ANIMATE them too? :icon_eek:

Q

i have thought about it yes ive just never gotten around to it you know? its a bit of a hassle.
but if you wanted to i could show you some things however there are so many tutorials out there already.
and truthfully modeling and renderind the EASY part the hard part is rendering, texturing and lighting it so it looks realistic and thats something im still struggling with :/

OMNI

Sweeeeet!!! Especially full size.

glad you enjoy it ;)
all the pics i post have a link to fullsize but i wasnt sure everyone was aware so i figured it start letting people know :).
only thing missing imo is a heat distrotion effect but im still unsure how to accomplish that :)

S

Stonelesscutter

glad you enjoy it ;)
all the pics i post have a link to fullsize but i wasnt sure everyone was aware so i figured it start letting people know :).
only thing missing imo is a heat distrotion effect but im still unsure how to accomplish that :)

Doesn't there have to be air for heat distortion to occur?

OMNI

"PROMINENCE"

I spent the night/morning buliding and setting up a new sun/Star that works in both animations and still imagery such as this one and this scene is the fruits of my labour and the first scene using the the new star.

Everything is done using Lightwave10 post/render/textures and scene.
Destiny model was made with modo501.
personally i think this scene trumps both of my previous ones done with this mesh also the poster layout for the render adds something unique.
This is also pretty much the Raw render and the oly things ive done in post is add the SGU logo some grain a slight blur and enlarged it slightly.
all post was done with Lightwave10.

S

Stonelesscutter

It looks good mate.
There's this one flare near the bottom right that bugs me though. It sticks out too much compared to the rest.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ya know what OMNI, if that was the cover of the S1 DVD's (top stopping at the "SGU" part, then down ) I actually think you would have sold a bucket load more DVD's. Your picture evokes a sense of adventure and wonder, the real cover looks like a bunch of dudes running away from the gate :D:

OMNI

It looks good mate.
There's this one flare near the bottom right that bugs me though. It sticks out too much compared to the rest.
ok shame that it bugs ya :P

I love the images of Destiny near stars! Seriously good work there.
im glad :) you like em :)
im sure there will be more of them soon enough :)
im going to print this one as a poster myself :)

Ya know what OMNI, if that was the cover of the S1 DVD's (top stopping at the "SGU" part, then down ) I actually think you would have sold a bucket load more DVD's. Your picture evokes a sense of adventure and wonder, the real cover looks like a bunch of dudes running away from the gate :D:
aye i agree the art on the boxes tend to focus to much on the actors imo and to little on what i personally watch scifi and this sort of stuff for ie the epic scenery and sence of wonder it provokes in me.

and im glad ya like this one the idea with it was both to show off my new star and try to create a movie poster feeling you know :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Nice job. The brightness was done well, it does seem like the light is glaring in that prominence pic, only thing I have against it is that a sun is so much bigger, wouldn't even be able to see the curvature of it when one is that close, but that's no biggie.

OMNI

Nice job. The brightness was done well, it does seem like the light is glaring in that prominence pic, only thing I have against it is that a sun is so much bigger, wouldn't even be able to see the curvature of it when one is that close, but that's no biggie.

logicly you wouldnt be able to see ANYTHING that close.
and how do you know how close i am to the object?