For those sci fi geeks who are also space enthusiasts.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
spacexrockets.jpg

Presenting Space X's plans for their new rockets
eek.gif

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Geek-point

US rockets are topped off at about 365', the height of the Saturn V. Anything bigger won't fit in the garage.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Our president took care of all those big rocket plans. Don't hold your breath waiting for them... :(

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
He axed the constellation program but the heavy lifter inside the plan was recently given the green light funding by congress. But fiscally speaking i think we would get more bang for our buck if we had space x build these rockets. Of course it would cost a couple billion but we have already invested 9 billion into the constellation program. Still...I would really like to see that big one fly!

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
Maybe they won't be using the NASA garage. I really don't know but I am well read on the subject and follow space X, Armadillo aerospace, Bigelow aerospace and Virgin galactic as close as possible. I really hope we can get private space off the ground.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Manned missions outside of our orbit have been deemed 'too expensive' by the administration. We'll only be sending little robots to other planets, moons and asteroids - for which the Delta II rocket is fully adequate. So what would we be needing those heavy lifters for??

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You should have included a link! Here is the link.

spacexrockets.jpg

Presenting Space X's plans for their new rockets
eek.gif

http://www.spacex.com/

Here is a launch video of the Falcon 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5gykvTBpM

Thing is, what exactly will be the purpose of going into space unless it is somehow a self-sustaining venture? We dont seem to be doing much with out space program. I personally would rather see exploration of Mars and further development of the Moon rather than to pour billions of dollars into a space station which doesnt do much eacept give nations write-offs and develop limited products which do not have mainstream applications.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
http://www.spacex.com/

Here is a launch video of the Falcon 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5gykvTBpM

Thing is, what exactly will be the purpose of going into space unless it is somehow a self-sustaining venture? We dont seem to be doing much with out space program. I personally would rather see exploration of Mars and further development of the Moon rather than to pour billions of dollars into a space station which doesnt do much eacept give nations write-offs and develop limited products which do not have mainstream applications.

:ditto: Where are the Moon base and the mission to Mars?? :(

Thanks for the link and the vid, OM1!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Manned missions outside of our orbit have been deemed 'too expensive' by the administration. We'll only be sending little robots to other planets, moons and asteroids - for which the Delta II rocket is fully adequate. So what would we be needing those heavy lifters for??

yep our oh-so-wise poltical leaders have no use for the space program! :rolleyes: morons!
:ditto: Where are the Moon base and the mission to Mars?? :(

Thanks for the link and the vid, OM1!

I know...when I was a kid, I thought by now we would have both. what can I say, I watched the moonlanding live and could see the possiblities. :(

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
yep our oh-so-wise poltical leaders have no use for the space program! :rolleyes: morons!

I know...when I was a kid, I thought by now we would have both. what can I say, I watched the moonlanding live and could see the possiblities. :(
Me too! It's interesting to watch old sci-fi movies and their visions for where we would be by now in terms of space exploration. Ok, the warp engine hasn't been invented yet (nor was it forseen for our days), but the possibilities for a people that put the man on the moon in just a decade were still huge...

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
I get a lot of my information from spacedaily.com and Space.com. The most interesting aerospace companies right now are Space X and Bigelow Aerospace. I like Space X because Elon was able to make a bundle with his sale of paypal and went into the car business, the solar business and space business.
But when it comes to being interesting Robert Bigelow is the cooler guy. He comes from a later generation and he has proven himself in business through his hotel business. He has millions to back up this venture and isn't getting government contracts (although that is likely to change in the future). If he eventually can get people to his space station we are going to see the private space industry blown wide open and after we conquer leo we can soon after start mining near earth objects. Billions upon trillions of dollars can be made from mining the asteroid belt and finding humanity a new home on mars can be made profitable. It may sound like wishful thinking but right now there are people pouring hundreds of millions of dollars to break space wide open for all of us.

Other companies to watch are:

Virgin galactic
Armadillo aerospace
Orbital sciences
Masten aerospace
Space Adventures (they recently partnered with Armadillo aerospace)
ATK (they're still testing boosters for the Ares V which seems to be supported by Congress)

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
Is green movement an enemy of emerging space industry?

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/125763-study-space-tourism-could-drive-climate-change

After reading this article and several like it I have been questioning what the true motive is here. I will admit that heavy lift launch vehicles emit millions of pounds of pollution and in some cases it can be millions of pounds of pollution per flight. * Point * The space shuttle has been flying for 40 years. However we are talking about tiny rockets that can only just barely reach low earth orbit. When Commercial spaceflight pollution is insignificant compared to car pollution or powerplant pollution or even the amount of people who barbeque with propane. This comparison will most likely stand for a decade. Remember that these tickets, while advertised that they will descend in cost, are $200,000.00. Do you really think that the average american consumer can afford this on a thirty minute round-trip flight to orbit. The article in question was a scientific article but I would really like to know who funded it.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Bigelow's inflatable bags are an awesome concept. Glad they're talking seriously now about flying some. Since they're collapsable they can be scaled up quite large when they're inflated in orbit. No diameter restrictions imposed by the launcher.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
ba330-first.jpg

images

looking at this type of construction the most obvious plus side all of the hardware, with the exception of the engines, are internal. I am sure the other systems on the ISS are as well but they layout looks to be easier to manage (I hope). The other major plus is the obvious increase in cubic space.

Jason1983

GateFans Noob
How do we make space exploration profitable (money wise). Thats the only way space exploration is really going to happen. Like when the spanish took gold from south america and mexico.

I mean sending up a bunch of rich people to a spacestation I don't think is going to make alot of money.

All I can think of is mining asteroids. We could send an unmanned spacecraft to a mineral rich asteroid and it lands on it and using an extra set of thrusters guides the asteroid back to earth orbit where the mining ships wont have far to go.....thats all I got.

Does the moon have oil?

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

How do we make space exploration profitable (money wise). Thats the only way space exploration is really going to happen. Like when the spanish took gold from south america and mexico.

I mean sending up a bunch of rich people to a spacestation I don't think is going to make alot of money.

All I can think of is mining asteroids. We could send an unmanned spacecraft to a mineral rich asteroid and it lands on it and using an extra set of thrusters guides the asteroid back to earth orbit where the mining ships wont have far to go.....thats all I got.

Does the moon have oil?

As the population of this planet becomes unsustainable so too will our dependence on it's limited & diminishing resources. At that point the need to search further afield for natural resources will become greater & more money will be poured into interplanetary or even interstellar propulsion & long term sustainability in outer space & mining asteroids/planets etc. To get to the good stuff we first have to wait for all the shittest of stuff (over-population/poverty/war/famine/starvation/riots etc).

T

Tanith

As the population of this planet becomes unsustainable so too will our dependence on it's limited & diminishing resources. At that point the need to search further afield for natural resources will become greater & more money will be poured into interplanetary or even interstellar propulsion & long term sustainability in outer space & mining asteroids/planets etc. To get to the good stuff we first have to wait for all the shittest of stuff (over-population/poverty/war/famine/starvation/riots etc).
Aye we will need to do it eventually. At the moment if we increased the standards of living in all 3rd world countries to those of which countries in the western world enjoy we would need the resources of a 2nd Earth.

Will need to find alternatives to ever have equality for all nations and avoid getting to the point where we will have devastating wars over resources.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
Helium 3 on the moon could be brought back to Earth at a relatively inexpensive cost if Bigelow and Boeing ever get their moon base up and running. Mining Asteroids is an idea. I have a young adult sci fi book that deals with mining on the surface of Mars (self plug (wink, wink)).
No space tourism will probably be the most profitable to begin with. Remember Virgin Galacti will probably be sending people into low earth orbit by this time next year. That will be like when Lindberg crossed the Atlantic. Armadillo aerospace and blue origin are already nipping at Virgin Galactic's proverbial heels and it looks like XCOR isn't too far behind them. All of these companies are hoping to exploit LEO for their own benefits and to open a fledgling industry that has the potential to change the world.
There have been experiments where we can place solar satelites in orbit and beam down all of the power we would ever need and there are some companies that are making impressive progress in that regard. My advice google them.
As for making space profitable. Mars has the equivalent surface area of all of the land on Earth.

Mars Realty anyone?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I see the development of these rockets in a different light.

Aye we will need to do it eventually. At the moment if we increased the standards of living in all 3rd world countries to those of which countries in the western world enjoy we would need the resources of a 2nd Earth.

Will need to find alternatives to ever have equality for all nations and avoid getting to the point where we will have devastating wars over resources.

In the past, all funded rocket research ultimately had a military purpose, with civilian applications following a sad second. This goes not just to the technology, but permission to launch, purchase of fuels, certifications, safety rules, guarantees, etc. These new rockets are a PRIVATE enterprise, and therefore will have no military application. And its not really the resources that are the problem, its the out-of-balance society which has been spread onto every continent. Our cities are inefficient and consume more resources than they replace...and this is true in every industrialized nation. Technology needs to develop renewable energy in the form of fusion or other non-fossil means. There are too many people depending on the cash cow of oil and its related industries for them to give it up. All the alternate battery technologies for autos have been purchased by the oil companies so that they can be controlled and withheld. Its a shame, really.