Defiance Ratings and Predictions Thread (Awards Given)

When will Defiance be cancelled by Syfy?

• Midway into the second season, with the remaining episodes airing after cancellation.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • At the end of the second season after all episodes have aired.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Defiance will get a season 3, but will be canceled before season 4.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Defiance will not get canceled.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I will say in its defense that this last installment was a bit better than before. The bomb plot was mildly amusing and because the show focused on it and on the mayors inability to run the town the lack of good characters was not as big an issue. But I still don't see this thing having a life for long.

This season has been mildly interesting in spots but as we all know the lack of any cohesive, logical structure underpinning the story makes these "likable" moments pointless.

Of course I know that you, JL, know this as well as anyone. I'm just saying that I agree with you.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed. The complete lack of explanation of the backstory hangs over the show like a pall. It makes the character actions hard to fathom a lot of the time because motivations don't really make sense. I still think they could have done better had the two hour premiere started in our present day and taken us through the Pale Wars and SHOWN us how the world got to the condition it is in the show. They could have also shown what the current state of things is that way too. THEN start up in episode 2 with Nolan and company.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And I just have to reiterate, the "aliens" on DEFIANCE aren't aliens at all, they're humans in every aspect of their being. Compare this to FARSCAPE and even though the alien makeup wasn't always the best it didn't matter because they took the time to explain the aliens; their histories, their ability to communicate with other species, etc. But with DEFECATION all we get is "Here are some aliens that look and act exactly like humans but they're aliens because we say so!"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agreed. The complete lack of explanation of the backstory hangs over the show like a pall. It makes the character actions hard to fathom a lot of the time because motivations don't really make sense. I still think they could have done better had the two hour premiere started in our present day and taken us through the Pale Wars and SHOWN us how the world got to the condition it is in the show. They could have also shown what the current state of things is that way too. THEN start up in episode 2 with Nolan and company.

THIS. They can still do that, and they really NEED to do it. It is not done in the game either. And if there are some obscure webisodes explaining it, I have not had enough interest to find them. What it looks like to me is that the game was conceived first. In games, you are lucky if you get a complete backstory. Usually, you are only set up for the gameplay by cutscenes telling you who you are, who your enemies are, where you are going to be, and what you need to do to win (or gain advantage). The Defiance Game is a simple third person shooter. It isnt even a Role Playing Game (RPG). The cutscenes tell you who the characters are, but there is no backstory.

Seeing the (assumed) epic battle in the sky, the arrival of the arks, and especially visuals of the landscape being changed and distorted by the terraforming machines...THAT is an interesting story. I dont care about the western town with it's Sheriff and Mayor, and I dont care about some two-bit alien gangster who looks like Lucius Malfoy, or a grumpy miner or a brothel. Why would those things exist in the future? What is supporting the monetary system? Why is there money at all? The values in this show are not optimistic.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
What worries me is that SyFy will claim that there isn't a market for science fiction after giving us tons of shows that were not science fiction.

Currently science fiction is dead on TV. Syfy is right when they say, there isn't a market for science fiction right now,because, just see what's on TV and what's at the movies. What genre is popular? Fantasy! We have the X-Men movies, game of thrones, Hercules...etc...

Whatever Syfy is commissioning, it ain't science fiction that's for sure, but when desperate time calls for desperate measures, people will like anything you throw at them. We saw it with SGU. It was crap and there is no denying this.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Currently science fiction is dead on TV. Syfy is right when they say, there isn't a market for science fiction right now,because, just see what's on TV and what's at the movies. What genre is popular? Fantasy! We have the X-Men movies, game of thrones, Hercules...etc...

Whatever Syfy is commissioning, it ain't science fiction that's for sure, but when desperate time calls for desperate measures, people will like anything you throw at them. We saw it with SGU. It was crap and there is no denying this.

I agree with you there. :) Thing is, the crap Syfy is making is still failing. They have nothing as remotely successful as even Atlantis, let alone SG-1 and even reruns of Star Trek TNG. The fantasy shows which they are running have failed. Ever since the cancellation of Atlantis, every science fiction show has failed. And for some odd reason, they still consider NuBSG to be the benchmark for "good science fiction". They do have Continuum which is AWESOME. :) But you are right, fantasy is more popular than science fiction by far. Unfortunate but true.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I agree with you there. :) Thing is, the crap Syfy is making is still failing. They have nothing as remotely successful as even Atlantis, let alone SG-1 and even reruns of Star Trek TNG. The fantasy shows which they are running have failed. Ever since the cancellation of Atlantis, every science fiction show has failed. And for some odd reason, they still consider NuBSG to be the benchmark for "good science fiction". They do have Continuum which is AWESOME. :) But you are right, fantasy is more popular than science fiction by far. Unfortunate but true.
I have never considered BSG as being a science fiction show.It has always felt to me as a emo drama show. Great music soundtrack though. Even if you pump out a crap show, people will still tune to watch.

Remember, syfy even experiment with having a cooking syfy show although, the show didn't last very long loool. It's called Marcel's Quantum Kitchen. It tanked.

Syfy are calling their shit science fiction because, they have to keep a few dumbass gullible Geeks happy and like I mentioned above, people are so desperate for science fiction, they'll grow an attachment to anything you throw at them.

No idea why they keep falling back to the reality tv/mtv style shit. There is also longer hiatus for shows incase someone hasn't noticed. Could that mean that syfy is struggling to secure its finances?

These days, the majority of the audiences want instant action. Only Geeks and Nerds such as ourselves care about the backstory. Most people just want to see something explode. Once in a while it's okay to have, and I rather have that than some stupid twilight movie, but I like a balance between storyline/action and character development.

Slightly offtopic, but could the woes surrounding MGM's poor management of finances have been a factor for them jumping off the stargate bandwagon? This is syfy that is...

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I expect pretty weak ratings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have never considered BSG as being a science fiction show.It has always felt to me as a emo drama show. Great music soundtrack though. Even if you pump out a crap show, people will still tune to watch.

Remember, syfy even experiment with having a cooking syfy show although, the show didn't last very long loool. It's called Marcel's Quantum Kitchen. It tanked.

Yep, I remember that. It was sillier than Shartopus! Like you, I knew from day one it was not going to be science fiction, because the original was not science fiction. But the original was sci-action/adventure in the vein of Star Wars which it was emulating. NuBSG was a sci-drama when it started out, with some action and backstory. Then about halfway through season 2, it went full soap. Then near the end of season 3 it went fantasy soap. :facepalm:

Syfy are calling their shit science fiction because, they have to keep a few dumbass gullible Geeks happy and like I mentioned above, people are so desperate for science fiction, they'll grow an attachment to anything you throw at them.

I could believe that if there werent other shows which manage to give us watchable scifi, like The Last Ship and Under The Dome. I can even watch a full episode of Falling Skies (which sucks now), but I cant get through an entire episode of Defiance without taking a LONG break at some random moment because I am annoyed by it so much. Just suddenly stop it and minimize it to shop on Amazon or to read the news. Sometimes, I watch a random episode of SG-1 or Star Trek just to take my mind off of it before I go back and watch the rest.

No idea why they keep falling back to the reality tv/mtv style shit. There is also longer hiatus for shows incase someone hasn't noticed. Could that mean that syfy is struggling to secure its finances?

Could be...but Syfy is owned by NBCUniversal, which is owned by Comcast. They have very deep pockets, so I doubt money is the problem. The problem is management at Syfy. Take a look at this:

http://www.nbcuni.com/corporate/management/executives/

Those people are responsible for giving us the crap we are watching. Especially this bitch: http://www.nbcuni.com/corporate/management/senior-corporate-executives/nbc-universal/bonnie-hammer/ That group of people do not represent the viewing audience. There are no scifi fans among them. And Bonnie Hammer is a marketing person. She is CLUELESS. She sees shows as products (which they are). But she is clueless as to what products will be popular with Scifi fans. This sould not be a problem if the channel was not formerly the Scifi Channel, changing to Syfy. If they had changed from Scifi Channel to say...The Fantastico Channel, the tie with it's scifi past would have been more understandable. This channel is like going to a restaurant and seeing something called Stake on the menu of a Steak House, and then being served a turkey sandwich named Stake.

These days, the majority of the audiences want instant action. Only Geeks and Nerds such as ourselves care about the backstory. Most people just want to see something explode. Once in a while it's okay to have, and I rather have that than some stupid twilight movie, but I like a balance between storyline/action and character development.

You sure about the first bolded? :) From what I can see, these shows want instant DRAMA. Right from the very first episode, we see who is banging who, we see the angst, or yearning, or conflict or whatever in the first episode of the pilot. And they stay in that mode throughout. :(

Slightly offtopic, but could the woes surrounding MGM's poor management of finances have been a factor for them jumping off the stargate bandwagon? This is syfy that is...

That might be a good guess. I have no idea, but the timeline of their financial woes matches the cancellations. Caprica was not even given a full season. They cut the underperforming shows quickly, and SGU was part of that. Remember, the show tanked below 1m viewers no less than 7 times in season 2, falling as low as 0.814.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, um, I have to admit I don't know what night of the week this show is on anymore. :daniel_new004: Did the ratings come out for the last episode we polled?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Predictions for Defiance Season 2 Episode 3

Overmind One: 1.38 million 1.15 million
Heisenberg: 1.2 million
Jim of WVa: 1.1 million
SciphonicStranger: 987
ShavedApe: 1.30 (damn, you people don't leave a lot of wiggle room here :icon_lol:)

Looks like you won mate...OM1's first guess was right though lool. It only gained a few people this time.

DEFIANCE SYFY 8:00 PM 1492 0.4

Still, a .4 is not very good.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, um, I have to admit I don't know what night of the week this show is on anymore. :daniel_new004: Did the ratings come out for the last episode we polled?

You won your second ball. You have a full sack now! CONGRATULATIONS!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Looks like it's time for me to do a spy check over at there location and see what's goin on !!!. Maybe I should not be allowed to predict for this show as I have the upper hand of living right next door to there filming location lol :) :) :)

You can see my house just off to the west near the base of that valley :) :) :)
120928_2590015_Making_of_Defiance_Part_II__Sets___Environme.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Looks like it's time for me to do a spy check over at there location and see what's goin on !!!. Maybe I should not be allowed to predict for this show as I have the upper hand of living right next door to there filming location lol :) :) :)

You can see my house just off to the west near the base of that valley :) :) :) View attachment 30085

Are they filming more of this show??? I'd be amazed if they were but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Place is desolate . But a few of the in the show vehicles are parked on set . Just the camper site guard and one truck and one trailer filled with the extras I guess :) :) :) Or is that Excrement !!!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Place is desolate . But a few of the vehicles are parked on set . Just the camper site guard and one truck and one trailer filled with the extras I guess :) :) :) Or is that Excrement !!!

When you start seeing them dismantling the set, post it here first! We could get an exclusive. :)