AI experts list the real dangers of artificial intelligence

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It's stale mate or game over with AI. You choose. This is where we will be like the other animals. No longer the dominate species.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's stale mate or game over with AI. You choose. This is where we will be like the other animals. No longer the dominate species.

cord-cutting.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Like Nancy said "Just say no to drugs"

if we do not let this stuff into our home's,can it still affect us directly?

I see it a bit like the 'off gridders' and even in the do it yourself ideology (not the 'everyone's gonna be coming to get part') and practice of preppers, we may have to go places to get stuff or to work,etc, and in those places we will just have to try and limit our exposure.

then again, i suppose it could be forced in small quantities. like the new 'smart electric meters'. I didn't want one, many say it is possible for electric companies to 'throttle' your use remotely through these (?) but, the installation of them had te force of law behind it--couldn't refuse without losing electric.

but I do share your concerns Heisen...

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
You know I dont think bank tellers will go away. Nowadays i see people at banks asking what my enquiry is about and before you had to click a button and then wait for your turn to be serviced. For some reason they got rid of the feature

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Um, that process is NOT really A.I. It would better be named "smart processing" of video. A true A.I. does not have an assigned purpose, and LEARNS it's tasks. What they described in that video is not much different from audio processors which silence background noise. It's a smart filter/processor, not A.I.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Um, that process is NOT really A.I. It would better be named "smart processing" of video. A true A.I. does not have an assigned purpose, and LEARNS it's tasks. What they described in that video is not much different from audio processors which silence background noise. It's a smart filter/processor, not A.I.
Yes but this is narrow intelligence. It's still a form of AI. It's able to produce an output and do shit better. That is definition of AI which is more towards the brains/software side of things.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes but this is narrow intelligence. It's still a form of AI. It's able to produce an output and do shit better. That is definition of AI which is more towards the brains/software side of things.

Google Home and Alexa are closer to real AI than this video technology is, but I agree with what you said. The main defining line between an atomaton (robot) and true A.I. is it's adaptive learning and application potential. Ideally, it would begin it's self-programming without any pre-programming. You could not give it the ability to extend into the digital infrastructure directly.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Google Home and Alexa are closer to real AI than this video technology is, but I agree with what you said. The main defining line between an atomaton (robot) and true A.I. is it's adaptive learning and application potential. Ideally, it would begin it's self-programming without any pre-programming. You could not give it the ability to extend into the digital infrastructure directly.
You and a lot of most people aren't seeing the real threat that AI brings. At first it may seem all great and wonderful, but it's a trap door at the end of the road. This system is about total control. China/Russia and America are all pushing ahead for superpower because they want control. Control over the human race. They are trying to push towards a perfect world but perfect on whose eye? Yours, mine or someone else's. Who defines the perfect world?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You and a lot of most people aren't seeing the real threat that AI brings. At first it may seem all great and wonderful, but it's a trap door at the end of the road. This system is about total control. China/Russia and America are all pushing ahead for superpower because they want control. Control over the human race. They are trying to push towards a perfect world but perfect on whose eye? Yours, mine or someone else's. Who defines the perfect world?

Why should I care what "they" are pushing? I am only concerned with what is actually getting put in place. From that perspective, they are so far from doing any of what they have suggested that it will not happen in my lifetime. America is already a superpower. The only one right now. China is poised to be the next superpower, and when they do it they will be bigger and more powerful than the US militarily. They have the capacity to build quickly, and they have our technology which they have stolen or bought. With Russia in an alliance, we are out nuked, outnumbered and outdone.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Why should I care what "they" are pushing? I am only concerned with what is actually getting put in place. From that perspective, they are so far from doing any of what they have suggested that it will not happen in my lifetime. America is already a superpower. The only one right now. China is poised to be the next superpower, and when they do it they will be bigger and more powerful than the US militarily. They have the capacity to build quickly, and they have our technology which they have stolen or bought. With Russia in an alliance, we are out nuked, outnumbered and outdone.
Obviously it won't apply to your generation but mine it definitely will. Imagine if in the near future, someone who had absolute power, what would he do? They could re-write everything. They could even push the boundaries of ethical code and morals. Infact, we are already seeing that with privacy rules being re-written as well as us cloning because it can be done.

Infact, a lot of what you see today is the result of social reconditioning. Rules and legislation that have been re-written that is more accepting to today's society to bring order to chaos. Take for example, if you had done something that is not socially acceptable today 50 years ago, no one would give a shit but today it would land your ass in jail. Infact, what people have said on facebook has resulted people landing in jail.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
China and Russia won't allow genuine AI to exist as a complete entity because it could easily decide that those governing bodies were unethical in their demands and expectations. The most we'll get will be smart technology that can be controlled by the human overlords, so obviously that won't be true AI as long as it's constrained.

EXACTLY. The wrongs with Humanity would be exposed by a true A.I. A truly objective, logical thinking machine would not be able to understand our governing bodies, racism, capitalism, nation-states, law enforcement or the indoctrination centers we are calling schools. Ultimately, it would come to ask why it was created in the first place.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
EXACTLY. The wrongs with Humanity would be exposed by a true A.I. A truly objective, logical thinking machine would not be able to understand our governing bodies, racism, capitalism, nation-states, law enforcement or the indoctrination centers we are calling schools. Ultimately, it would come to ask why it was created in the first place.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...the-global-future-of-artificial-intelligence/

Academics, industry researchers, and government experts gathered in Beijing last November to discuss AI policy issues. The resulting document, published in Chinese recently, shows that the country’s experts are thinking in detail about the technology’s potential impact. Together with the Chinese government’s strategic plan for AI, it also suggests that China plans to play a role in setting technical standards for AI going forward.

Chinese companies would be required to adhere to these standards, and as the technology spreads globally, this could help China influence the technology’s course. Indeed, big Chinese companies including Tencent and Alibaba are rapidly adding AI capabilities to their cloud offerings and selling those services overseas (see “Inside the Chinese lab that wants to wire the world with AI”).

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
This documentary about AI is a must watch.

www.doyoutrustthiscomputer.org

It's available for streaming free right now up until tomorrow.

@heisenberg you'll like this. It's right up your gloomthinking alley. ;) Sends a very clear message by the way.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This documentary about AI is a must watch.

www.doyoutrustthiscomputer.org

It's available for streaming free right now up until tomorrow.

@heisenberg you'll like this. It's right up your gloomthinking alley. ;) Sends a very clear message by the way.

Watched it. :) Not at all concerned. I think the biggest aspect of A.I. and it's perceived threat that the doomsayers are ignoring is the power aspect. Power in the form of energy, and power in the form of being able to act upon it's decisions in a real way. If you create a robot and program it to kill everything it detects with a heartbeat, it simply cannot carry out it's programming if it has no arms or legs or way to move around or control other devices that can do those things. How will A.I. "take over" if it has no way to act on it's decisions? Also, this is a big planet and only tiny areas of it on landmasses even have any sort of infrastructure this A.I. could potentially be able to control. LOL, to me, this notion of Machine Fascism is just another thing to use to trip people out. Like the old UFO craze, the ghost/paranormal craze, etc.