Why does my cat love to watch TV?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I dont understand it. My cat Siete loves to watch TV. I noticed it a while back, but I did not think he was watching it except perhaps for the colors and movement, but he reacts to what he sees on TV and if I do not turn it on when I usually watch it he will come get me and take me to the TV and meow until I turn it on. :anim_59:

I got these Mewvies for him which I talked about in another thread:

The real ones do not have that stupid music, they have bird sounds and chirps of mice and squirrels and such. But Siete loves to also watch action flicks, nature shows and even basketball games. I wonder what he is understanding from what he is watching from a cat's perspective? He knows they are not real, since he has gone behind the TV to see that there is nothing there. I find this funny as hell!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
He is taking in data upon which he will hatch his diabolical plot for world control!
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM ---
The Dog's Diary
happydog.gif
8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!
poshorsa.gif

The Cat's Diary
Day 983 of My Captivity
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

evilcat.gif

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.
Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

Tropicana

Council Member
I dont understand it. My cat Siete loves to watch TV. I noticed it a while back, but I did not think he was watching it except perhaps for the colors and movement, but he reacts to what he sees on TV and if I do not turn it on when I usually watch it he will come get me and take me to the TV and meow until I turn it on. :anim_59:

I got these Mewvies for him which I talked about in another thread:

The real ones do not have that stupid music, they have bird sounds and chirps of mice and squirrels and such. But Siete loves to also watch action flicks, nature shows and even basketball games. I wonder what he is understanding from what he is watching from a cat's perspective? He knows they are not real, since he has gone behind the TV to see that there is nothing there. I find this funny as hell!
Aww sooo cuuute!!

Tropicana

Council Member
He is taking in data upon which he will hatch his diabolical plot for world control!
The Dog's Diary
happydog.gif

poshorsa.gif

The Cat's Diary
Day 983 of My Captivity
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

evilcat.gif

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.
Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...
Brilliant, always makes me laugh every time I read it. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Cool article! And its weird, Dante does not watch TV at all. Even the Mewvies, he reacts to the bird sounds coming from the speakers sometimes, but he does not literally sit in front of the TV like Siete does. Siete will jump on the ottoman right in front of the TV and watch intently. He watches things move across the screen, and you see his eyes looking and his head moving to the action. He is TOTALLY interested in them. And when the movies stop he comes to get me to start another one. I have started making them loop while Im gone and when I get home he is in front of the TV.
--- merged: Nov 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM ---
The Dog's Diary
happydog.gif

poshorsa.gif

The Cat's Diary
Day 983 of My Captivity

evilcat.gif

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:jackanime14::rotflmao::laughing::tealc_newanime006::smiley-laughing024::lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Has it ever occurred to you that your cat is, maybe, high? :drunk:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The Dog's Diary
happydog.gif

poshorsa.gif

The Cat's Diary
Day 983 of My Captivity

evilcat.gif

LOVE IT!! :SmileyLaughingTears::icon_rotflmao::crying-028::smiley-laughing024:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its getting really weird now. Siete is now spending much of his waking day watching TV. He never did this before, and if I turn it off he will come and get me to turn it on. :daniel01: Thing is, cats are nocturnal and I am going to bed by at least midnight, and when I turn it off and go in the bedroom he will come and meow until I get up. If I reach over to pet him, he will pull away, in the direction of the door. Of course, I give in and turn it on. This is last night at 1:30am. He is watching Discovery. :cat:

siete watching TV.jpg

I have a theory...I have been turning on the Mewvies, in a looping playlist which goes on all day while I am at work. When I come home, he is usually sitting directly in front of the TV set. I get to turn it off because that is dinnertime for him and the other cat, but around 10pm or so, he will jump on that stool and meow at me until I turn the set on. If I ignore him, he will come to me and take me to the TV. Its funny, but am I turning this cat into a junkie? Lately, he just wants to watch TV and he ignores his cat toys (and Dante).

Any advice?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Its getting really weird now. Siete is now spending much of his waking day watching TV. He never did this before, and if I turn it off he will come and get me to turn it on. :daniel01: Thing is, cats are nocturnal and I am going to bed by at least midnight, and when I turn it off and go in the bedroom he will come and meow until I get up. If I reach over to pet him, he will pull away, in the direction of the door. Of course, I give in and turn it on. This is last night at 1:30am. He is watching Discovery. :cat:

View attachment 27563

I have a theory...I have been turning on the Mewvies, in a looping playlist which goes on all day while I am at work. When I come home, he is usually sitting directly in front of the TV set. I get to turn it off because that is dinnertime for him and the other cat, but around 10pm or so, he will jump on that stool and meow at me until I turn the set on. If I ignore him, he will come to me and take me to the TV. Its funny, but am I turning this cat into a junkie? Lately, he just wants to watch TV and he ignores his cat toys (and Dante).

Any advice?

Sounds like your cat has his own human remote control system.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sounds like your cat has his own human remote control system.

:smiley-laughing024::icon_rotflmao:

Very true! I wonder...if he could CHOOSE what to watch, what would he pick? See...he is making me more weird than I am already! But this seems too unnatural for a cat. I do not see other cats doing this. I have seen dogs who do it though, and this Siete is a Maine Coon and they really seem more like dogs than cats. Totally unlike Dante who is a "normal" cat. :D

Bluce Ree

:smiley-laughing024::icon_rotflmao:

Very true! I wonder...if he could CHOOSE what to watch, what would he pick? See...he is making me more weird than I am already! But this seems too unnatural for a cat. I do not see oter cats doing this. I have seen dogs who do it though, and this Siete is a Maine Coon and they really seem more like dogs than cats. Totally unlike Dante who is a "normal" cat. :D

Bro, the next time you bring a woman home, be prepared to explain why you're turning the TV on for your cat to watch. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Bro, the next time you bring a woman home, be prepared to explain why you're turning the TV on for your cat to watch. :icon_lol:

They think its cute. But they only see him that time. :) This is new behavior for this cat. It started about a month after I moved in, and it got to be an every day thing after I started playing the Mewvies for them. With it going all day, I think he has gotten used to it. But it is not just the Mewvies now. Its ANYTHING with movement in it. 2012 was fun to watch with him. :icon_lol:. But he liked Total Recall too. But I have noticed that he does not like the sound of gunshots in movies, or the sound of breaking glass. I dont watch nearly as much TV as Siete does now. :popcorn:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Have you checked the level of your medical marijuana stash lately? Your cat is probably higher than a kite for most of the day! :unconscious::stung:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you checked the level of your medical marijuana stash lately? Your cat is probably higher than a kite for most of the day! :unconscious::stung:

LOL! I actually did! I also checked the catnip stash, and the catnip plant and it is no more chewed than before...:icon_lol: Maybe he found a bud I dropped somewhere? :confused0006:

Tropicana

Council Member

View attachment 27563

Any advice?
OMG, that is so cool!!

Bluce Ree

They think its cute. But they only see him that time. :) This is new behavior for this cat. It started about a month after I moved in, and it got to be an every day thing after I started playing the Mewvies for them. With it going all day, I think he has gotten used to it. But it is not just the Mewvies now. Its ANYTHING with movement in it. 2012 was fun to watch with him. :icon_lol:. But he liked Total Recall too. But I have noticed that he does not like the sound of gunshots in movies, or the sound of breaking glass. I dont watch nearly as much TV as Siete does now. :popcorn:

It's all adorable to a woman until they spend nights regularly at your place and realize you get up EVERY night at 2am to turn on the TV for the cat. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's all adorable to a woman until they spend nights regularly at your place and realize you get up EVERY night at 2am to turn on the TV for the cat. :icon_lol:

BINGO. :) I think I need to break his habit. I don't think it is healthy for him to watch TV all day and night! I don't even watch it as much as he does. I will need to talk to the vet and find out how I can break that habit without making him depressed. Not normal cat behavior. :concern: