Who is more logical?

O

Odo

Of these two who is more logical?

odo.jpgstar-trek-spock1.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Good question. Most people would probably say that Spock is the most logical but if you think about it Odo is a pure alien whereas Spock is half-human and still wrestles with his emotions. This isn't to say that Odo doesn't have emotions, he does, but it makes for an interesting consideration.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good question. Most people would probably say that Spock is the most logical but if you think about it Odo is a pure alien whereas Spock is half-human and still wrestles with his emotions. This isn't to say that Odo doesn't have emotions, he does, but it makes for an interesting consideration.

It is illogical for a shape-shifting being to remain in a solid state for more than is absolutely necessary. It is illogical to assume a human shape when so much more could be done as an 8-armed 40 fingered creature (controlling more than one console). What about a blob that has 3000 eyes all over it's body? I would say that would have things covered. ILLOGICAL, I say!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
It is illogical for a shape-shifting being to remain in a solid state for more than is absolutely necessary. It is illogical to assume a human shape when so much more could be done as an 8-armed 40 fingered creature (controlling more than one console). What about a blob that has 3000 eyes all over it's body? I would say that would have things covered. ILLOGICAL, I say!

But it might be logical not to take those forms as they would freak out almost everyone on the station. :P

I vote for Spock too, but admittedly I have not seen every DS9 episode yet.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
But it might be logical not to take those forms as they would freak out almost everyone on the station. :P

I vote for Spock too, but admittedly I have not seen every DS9 episode yet.

If you do decide to watch more DS9, have a big mess of pillows ready because it'll put you to sleep.

SciphonicStranger

If you do decide to watch more DS9, have a big mess of pillows ready because it'll put you to sleep.

Really? A lot of people rave about that show for some reason. The way I remember it, Voyager and DS9 were running at the same time on different channels and I went with Voyager because I was already invested in it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am casting a write in vote for Tuvok. He resisted killing Neelix for 7 years which shows powerful control and logic.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Well, just because Odo (or any alien) can assume various shapes with 8 arms or 3000 eyes that doesn't mean that creature has the cognitive ability to fully use all those features. They would just be window dressing if the alien's brain (or cognitive center) couldn't process each independent appendage/organ. It's sort of a walk and chew gum at the same time sort of thing if that makes sense.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am casting a write in vote for Tuvok. He resisted killing Neelix for 7 years which shows powerful control and logic.

I agree with this but can't find the logical angle for keeping Neelix alive. I think keeping up the crews morale would have been a logical enough reason to airlock Neelix from the get go. ;)

SciphonicStranger

I agree with this but can't find the logical angle for keeping Neelix alive. I think keeping up the crews morale would have been a logical enough reason to airlock Neelix from the get go. ;)

Wasn't there some sort of practical angle to his being the cook though? Saving replicator energy or something like that? :confused:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Wasn't there some sort of practical angle to his being the cook though? Saving replicator energy or something like that? :confused:

Meh, given the motivation anyone can learn to cook so he wasn't that special. Given the choice I would have had Neelix on the menu instead of making it if you catch my drift. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, just because Odo (or any alien) can assume various shapes with 8 arms or 3000 eyes that doesn't mean that creature has the cognitive ability to fully use all those features. They would just be window dressing if the alien's brain (or cognitive center) couldn't process each independent appendage/organ. It's sort of a walk and chew gum at the same time sort of thing if that makes sense.

We already know he had sex with Kira, so one could imagine the.....um....possibilities with shape shifting. I mean you could have like 3 different "members" of varying sizes, large or small. You could take a french kiss to whole new levels. But as the female shapeshifter always told him, it is illogical for him to mingle with "solids". :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really? A lot of people rave about that show for some reason. The way I remember it, Voyager and DS9 were running at the same time on different channels and I went with Voyager because I was already invested in it.

I also did not like DS9. Too dark, too moody. In fact to me it marked the point where Trek started running off the rails - a process that culminated in the horrific Nemesis. Ironically Harry S Plinkett agress with me - he said so in his Star Trek 2009 review.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Can't forget this!

SciphonicStranger

I also did not like DS9. Too dark, too moody. In fact to me it marked the point where Trek started running off the rails - a process that culminated in the horrific Nemesis. Ironically Harry S Plinkett agress with me - he said so in his Star Trek 2009 review.

So DS9 is to Star Trek what SGU was to Stargate?

Can't forget this!

Now that is logical! I'm switching my vote to Tuvok. :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

DS9 put soap-fi on the map. It was one of the first true space soap operas. They tried rejuvenating the show at one point with the Dominion wars but they just couldn't seem to shake the soap. :puke:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
DS9 put soap-fi on the map. It was one of the first true space soap operas. They tried rejuvenating the show at one point with the Dominion wars but they just couldn't seem to shake the soap. :puke:

I didn't care for the whole "Bajoran emissary to the prophets" thing. Sure they could have used it as a plot device for one season but they dragged it out for the length of the show and it was just so damn boring. The religious angle didn't fit with the Star Trek universe, certainly not as the premise of an entire series.

S

Stonelesscutter

Please don't remind me of Odo's emotions. :roll:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I vote for Tuvok!!!!

you barbarian you!

I loved DS9 and found it to be a very interesting show. It was far better than the generic, boring, and very predictable TNG! :P Sisko rules, Picard drools!

:laughing: ummm yes....:rotflmao: neelix needed to die. do you remember tuvix?

Meh, given the motivation anyone can learn to cook so he wasn't that special. Given the choice I would have had Neelix on the menu instead of making it if you catch my drift. ;)

I dunno if they still ate meat on the voyager!??!