We Won Dammit!

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
You know, every year I watch the Eurovision Song Contest final with a buddy of mine just to mock the plain awful songs and bad jokes coming from the hosts. But this year my time wasn't wasted, because Sweden won motherfrakkers! With 372 points, the second highest total in the history of the competition (just looked it up), the highest being 387, the song "Euphoria" by singer Loreen has won the whole thing. And this means we'll arrange the 2013 ESC, which'll also cost a significant sum of money (good for tourism tho, and we're still not paying for all of it).
Skärmavbild 2012-05-27 kl. 00.42.39.png

But the most important thing here is not that we won, but that the song is actually not bad! Usually I hate whatever song we send (and it usually fits in with the rest of the shit in the contest), but I didn't hate this one. It's not really my kind of music either, but I can appreciate it for what it is: Inoffensive europop.
[video=youtube;1-F5DFkZJ1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-F5DFkZJ1M

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
she desperatly needs to work on her "dancing" thats for damn sure.. that crab walk dance thing was just atrocious...

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
she desperatly needs to work on her "dancing" thats for damn sure.. that crab walk dance thing was just atrocious...

Yeah that wasn't very good at all, though the rest of her preformace was pretty ok. And I've seen worse. Trust me, much worse.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
The UK really needs to stop spending money on Eurovision as we're never going to win. We just don't have enough European friends.

Good for Sweden though, at least they can afford to host it. Greece taking an early lead was pretty funny.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
The UK really needs to stop spending money on Eurovision as we're never going to win. We just don't have enough European friends.

Good for Sweden though, at least they can afford to host it. Greece taking an early lead was pretty funny.

Or maybe the key is just sending better music. I mean sure, the other Nordic countries tend to give us high points each year, but we won thank's to a large number of countries who almost never give us any points, actually voting for us! (I had major WTF moments at the 12 pointers from Russia and Spain) But on the other hand, sending better songs would imply ability/willingness, something which would really clash with the stereotypical British sense of pride and stubbornness. :P

It would've really been amusing if they'd actually won. "Eurovision 2013, live from Ifteki's Kareoke Bar! Special offer right now, three Pita Gyros for the price of one!" :D

JaffaKree!

GateFans Member
Grattis! :cupcake:
I missed riffing the show with you guys this year.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
How did that song beat out the one submitted by the Netherlands? :confused:

[video=youtube_share;zfofDgg-Jww]-Jww

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
How did that song beat out the one submitted by the Netherlands? :confused:

[video=youtube_share;zfofDgg-Jww]-Jww

I just listened to that and wow, that song is weird. What's with the girls voice, is she singing like that on purpose or does she just need singing lessons, and why the hell are there indian feathers all over the place??? :icon_e_confused:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Or maybe the key is just sending better music. I mean sure, the other Nordic countries tend to give us high points each year, but we won thank's to a large number of countries who almost never give us any points, actually voting for us! (I had major WTF moments at the 12 pointers from Russia and Spain) But on the other hand, sending better songs would imply ability/willingness, something which would really clash with the stereotypical British sense of pride and stubbornness. :P

It would've really been amusing if they'd actually won. "Eurovision 2013, live from Ifteki's Kareoke Bar! Special offer right now, three Pita Gyros for the price of one!" :D

The problem is that anybody relatively good won't touch Eurovision as it's considered a career killer here. Even given that though it appeared we threw in the towel this year though; people were anticipating Jedward's performance far more than our own.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
The problem is that anybody relatively good won't touch Eurovision as it's considered a career killer here. Even given that though it appeared we threw in the towel this year though; people were anticipating Jedward's performance far more than our own.

Then maybe you should go for unknown artists instead. Just hold a big talent show competition like Pop Idol where you'll only take in singers and bands who haven't had a breakthrough yet. They won't care about the fact that it's considered a career killer since they don't even have a career to speak of.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Then maybe you should go for unknown artists instead. Just hold a big talent show competition like Pop Idol where you'll only take in singers and bands who haven't had a breakthrough yet. They won't care about the fact that it's considered a career killer since they don't even have a career to speak of.

We kind of did for a while, where people voted and such. But nobody really watched it and the BBC decided it wasn't worth the money; now I'm not sure who decides. I'm fairly sure the only reason we still enter is due to many people having eurovision parties and having a bit of a laugh; it would spoil it a little bit if we didnt have an act in there. Our commentary for it is is pretty hilarious as it just makes fun of the whole thing. Back when Terry Wogan was doing it, it was even better.

S

Stonelesscutter

Isn't that exactly what eurovision is?

In any case it's a f*cking freakshow and the worst thing about it isn't even the horrible horrible songs or the fact that the people who sing them think they actually have a hit on their hands, it's the fact that the whole thing is rigged that makes it the utter farce² that it is. The epitome of unbearability. And that means a lot coming from a Dutchman.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Isn't that exactly what eurovision is?

In any case it's a f*cking freakshow and the worst thing about it isn't even the horrible horrible songs or the fact that the people who sing them think they actually have a hit on their hands, it's the fact that the whole thing is rigged that makes it the utter farce² that it is. The epitome of unbearability. And that means a lot coming from a Dutchman.

You're just cranky that your song didn't well at all. :P But to be fair, the political voting has gotten really annoying as of late. At first it was a bit amusing with Greece giving Cyprus their highest points every year, and vice versa, but now when all the Balkan and Easter European countries are giving each other top scores, things are really getting out of hand.

S

Stonelesscutter

You're just cranky that your song didn't well at all. :P But to be fair, the political voting has gotten really annoying as of late. At first it was a bit amusing with Greece giving Cyprus their highest points every year, and vice versa, but now when all the Balkan and Easter European countries are giving each other top scores, things are really getting out of hand.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember.