Trying to lose weight? Then DO IT! Its all in what you eat.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Also, fresh hot bread tastes fucking awesome with real butter slathered all over it.

Butter is good. But if I'm going to indulge in bread I sometimes opt for California olive oil instead.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What are the ingredients in the "whole wheat" bread? Is there sugar? (Probably.) Is it the very soft type of whole wheat? (Most likely tons of additives.)

Oh shit...NOOOOOOOOOO! Not my FAVORITE bread! :(

80162_ April 2015.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It has SOY in it? Noooooooooooo! But this bread is so freakin good...the perfect perfectness of perfection. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh shit...NOOOOOOOOOO! Not my FAVORITE bread! :(

View attachment 31792

Have you considered making your own whole wheat bread? That way you could control the ingredients. Keep in mind it will not last as long as the commercial stuff as it won't have all those additives. Also it probably won't be as soft as the commercial stuff. Real bread simply has flour, water, yeast and maybe some salt. That's it. Everything else is optional.

But if you like the commercial stuff and don't want to give it up I'd suggest checking out various brands. You can find some "artisanal" sht with minimal ingredients that will be sliced and easy to eat. Or just stick with the stuff you like. Life shouldn't have all the pleasure sucked out of it so if you're eating healthy during the majority of your days I wouldn't worry about a couple slices of bread every couple days.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It has SOY in it? Noooooooooooo! But this bread is so freakin good...the perfect perfectness of perfection. :(

The soy lecithin is wayyyy down on the list of ingredients so that means there isn't that much of it in there. I wouldn't sweat it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The soy lecithin is wayyyy down on the list of ingredients so that means there isn't that much of it in there. I wouldn't sweat it.

It did not used to have it in there. Now that I think of it, the ingredients in this bread HAVE changed since I started buying it years ago. You have commented on the hamburger buns from them (you saw it in a picture of a burger I made). This bread is exceptionally good. And it IS made of stone ground whole wheat. It just has a bunch of other shit I do not want in it. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you considered making your own whole wheat bread? That way you could control the ingredients. Keep in mind it will not last as long as the commercial stuff as it won't have all those additives. Also it probably won't be as soft as the commercial stuff. Real bread simply has flour, water, yeast and maybe some salt. That's it. Everything else is optional.

But if you like the commercial stuff and don't want to give it up I'd suggest checking out various brands. You can find some "artisanal" sht with minimal ingredients that will be sliced and easy to eat. Or just stick with the stuff you like. Life shouldn't have all the pleasure sucked out of it so if you're eating healthy during the majority of your days I wouldn't worry about a couple slices of bread every couple days.

I do not have the gear for it. I have made bread using flour and yeast. It came out great, but it took so long. I would rather have a bread machine.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It did not used to have it in there. Now that I think of it, the ingredients in this bread HAVE changed since I started buying it years ago. You have commented on the hamburger buns from them (you saw it in a picture of a burger I made). This bread is exceptionally good. And it IS made of stone ground whole wheat. It just has a bunch of other shit I do not want in it. :(

I've had the artisanal loaves which are just the basic stuff and they are definitely "harder" and more dense than the more commercial stuff with additives. I didn't mind the more authentic dense stuff, but I know a lot of people don't care for it at all. They are conditioned to expect bread to be soft and pliable and easy to chew (in fact they expect it to melt in their mouths just like candy). It's a conditioning thing that you have to overcome. But, like I said, if you are eating pretty healthy as it is I don't think a couple slices of commercial bread every other day is going to kill you. (Dating crazy bitches is what is going to kill you, but not bread. ;) )

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I do not have the gear for it. I have made bread using flour and yeast. It came out great, but it took so long. I would rather have a bread machine.

Bread machine? :icon_e_surprised: Last I checked you weren't a middle-aged Midwestern housewife with a penchant for blogging, bake sales and yard signs that exclaim: "Marriage = one man/one woman". ;)

*BTW, as I understand it many bread machine recipes call for "dough conditioners" to be added; some natural, some highly suspect. Just FYI. Also, I don't know how whole wheat turns out in a bread machine. It would probably require a fair amount of white flour to make it pliable and soft.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Also, fresh hot bread tastes fucking awesome with real butter slathered all over it.

Only real butter is BUTTAH! I would not have it any other way. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Not enough to make you grow boobs, don't worry. What I don't understand is what the hell sugar is doing in bread to begin with and why is it the third ingredient after water and flour.

I love fresh baked bread but I'm able to resist it. I can go weeks and months without touching any bread whatsoever. However, every so often I'll get a loaf of fresh baked bread and spread fresh moo cow butter on it and eat the whole damned thing. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I caved. I bought two loaves 30 minutes ago. :topsy_turvy:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now about quinoa...why is it so damned expensive??? I went to my local Big Lots where I was told I could get it "cheap", and I did find a 26oz bag of white quinoa for $11.00. I have been seeing it on Amazon for more per oz, and even more in the mainstream markets. Whole Foods has it for $18.00/LB, and the red and black quinoa goes for even more! For the nutrition values vs rice, it is worth it:

quinoa_vs_rice.png

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Now about quinoa...why is it so damned expensive??? I went to my local Big Lots where I was told I could get it "cheap", and I did find a 26oz bag of white quinoa for $11.00. I have been seeing it on Amazon for more per oz, and even more in the mainstream markets. Whole Foods has it for $18.00/LB, and the red and black quinoa goes for even more! For the nutrition values vs rice, it is worth it:

View attachment 31798

Those are crazy prices for quinoa. I can get it here bulk for much, much cheaper. I suggest checking out some "health food" stores other than Whole Paycheck. Also, large grocery store chains might have it in bulk.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Those are crazy prices for quinoa. I can get it here bulk for much, much cheaper. I suggest checking out some "health food" stores other than Whole Paycheck. Also, large grocery store chains might have it in bulk.

I have basically stopped shopping my groceries at Whole Paycheck because of the prices, and because the availability of the things I get there often are much cheaper on Amazon. It seems now that WF is catering to the vegan crowd, highlighting organic veggies and products made with lots of soy (meat substitutes). Im now shopping at Haggen (formerly Albertsons). Smart and Final is no longer a good value either. :(