Thomas Kinkade -- "Painter of light" dies

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://www.mercurynews.com/los-gato...inkade-one-nations-most-popular-painters-dies

Not sure if our European or Aussie contingent knows who this is but here in America 1 in 20 homes has a schlocky Kindake "painting" in residence. His stuff is really kitchy and cliche' and tacky but some people really love him. Here's a sample of his stuff:

kinkade-2010-bambis-first-year-1st-art-disney-thomas.jpg

And below is a mod that I find hilarious:

Attachments

• Topkid.jpg
    Topkid.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 141

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
skilled artist thats for sure..

Well, skilled but limited. He only ever did the same type of scene over and over and over and over and over and over again. His style never changed, not one iota. I mean, how many paintings can you do of a brightly lit cottage in the woods? van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Picasso, etc., they all changed styles as they grew.

And Kinkade's "paintings" were mass marketed and sold on QVC even (still are I imagine). I can't fault the guy for being a success but to me he's sort of like the fast-food version of an artist.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Well, skilled but limited. He only ever did the same type of scene over and over and over and over and over and over again. His style never changed, not one iota. I mean, how many paintings can you do of a brightly lit cottage in the woods? van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Picasso, etc., they all changed styles as they grew.

And Kinkade's "paintings" were mass marketed and sold on QVC even (still are I imagine). I can't fault the guy for being a success but to me he's sort of like the fast-food version of an artist.
that explains it.

also i think most famous painters SUCK as imo by the end they just cop out and produce crap..

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Methinks there be unicorns in his work. RIP anyway...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
So how many of his paintings do you own? One in every room (including every bathroom)?

Not every room - I had to save some money for the pink flamingos in the front yard.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Tits, Jim? Is that what you want to see here, tits? Oh believe me, I've tried to post titty shots but the mods yank 'em down right away. Fascist bastards! :(
Agreed. We should riot... I'll bring the "cocktails" ;)