"The Walking Dead" Season 2 premiere breaks records

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yeah, and the zombie dance sequence will contain a brief homage to michael jackson ala "thriller". The producers will stroke each other's egos in the interviews they give to "showbiz tonight" and shows like that. The chick who plays "lori" will talk about how nervous she was to sing even though everyone told her she was good but in the end it was just fun for all involved, blah blah fun blah. :puke:

LMAO! They will have a tune that SOUNDS like Thriller, but will be slightly different, and there will be some zombie that smashes car windows and another who crabs his crotch. Then, they will all have a synchronized dance step involving Lori being lifted onto zombie shoulders, etc. :facepalm: Lori will then pursue a singing career after the show is suddenly and mercifully cancelled. :facepalm:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Laurie has to go. Take the kid too, and the weird lady whose daughter was a barn walker. Keep the blonde, Shane, Rick, the old man, and the hillbilly. The black dude needs to be food. Get another cool brotha with balls to replace him. But the show is just stupid. These people are sending scouts out to get pregnancy test kits? Really? Im still not over that.

and what "important" thing has the black guy done ever since they left KKK dude handcuffed on that rooftop?

i've also considered that the actors know the show has turned to trash and it is now nothing more than a "resume show" for them

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
and what "important" thing has the black guy done ever since they left KKK dude handcuffed on that rooftop?

i've also considered that the actors know the show has turned to trash and it is now nothing more than a "resume show" for them

He doesn't have to do anything. He's the token black guy. Token black guys have it made. They're just there to diversify the group.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

EXACTLY. He is literally "the token". We know absolutely nothing about him, and I never see him going on any missions or being given any real responsibility. I say let him be food. :) Get another black guy more like a Shane type character. Bad ass, streetwise, and ballsy. They should have taken a page...no, SEVERAL pages from The Night of the Living Dead for character profiles. The Zombie Mom with a son to raise in a world infested with Zombies is already a dry well. The show could lose them both and it would actually improve it. We could use Rick's anger at the loss to turn him into a gun popping badguy. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He doesn't have to do anything. He's the token black guy. Token black guys have it made. They're just there to diversify the group.

True. And this role is nothing but a token. Greer's character from SGU would have gone well here.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Shane and Greer would be best buddies in this show.

I'd like to see an episode where the zombies break into the studio and eat those shitty writers. Maybe they'll bring back the original season 1 writers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'd like to see an episode where the zombies break into the studio and eat those shitty writers. Maybe they'll bring back the original season 1 writers.

Ah, I see...did they switch writers from the first season?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Ah, I see...did they switch writers from the first season?

Well I think most of the staff writers from S1 stayed on while they also brought in new ones, however the big thing which led to the drop in quality during season 2 is most likely the firing of Frank Darabont as showrunner which led to his departure from the show, as well as the loss of a planned episode which would've been amazing should it have come to fruition.

Sure, I’ll confirm that storyline. Why not? Big caveat here though:

CraveOnline is much mistaken in saying this was for a “web series.” This was never meant as a web gimmick, this was intended for use in the actual TV series. I wanted to kick off the 2nd season with the flashback episode Sam describes, which would have followed a squad of Army Rangers getting trapped in the city and trying to survive as Atlanta falls. 

The idea was to do this with a very focused “you are there” documentary feel. Not going all shaky-cam, but still making it a bit rawer and grainier than the rest of the show. We’d start with a squad of maybe seven or eight soldiers being dropped into the city by chopper. They have map coordinates they need to get to; they’ve been told to report to a certain place to provide reinforcement. It’s not a special mission, it’s basically a housekeeping measure putting more boots on the ground to reinforce key intersections and installations throughout the city. And we follow this group from the moment the copter sets them down. All they have to do is travel maybe a dozen blocks, a simple journey, but what starts as a no-brainer scenario goes from “the city is being secured” to “holy shit, we’ve lost control, the world is ending.” Our squad gets blocked at every turn and are soon just trying to survive. I wanted to do a really tense, character-driven ensemble story as communications break down, supply lines are lost, escape routes are cut off, morale falls apart, leadership unravels, mutinies heat up, etc. (Yes, this approach owes a spiritual debt to a number of great films, including Walter Hill’s Southern Comfort.)

Along the way, I thought we could briefly dovetail this story with a few established characters from the show. Not to overdo that, mind you, because it could get silly and too coincidental if you load too much into that idea. But I thought it would be great to veer off on a quick narrative detour that brushes our soldiers briefly up against some people we know. Picture our squad arriving at a manned barricade where some civilians are being held back from leaving the city on shoot-to-kill orders to stop the spread of contagion, it’s a panicked high-intensity scene, and in this crowd of desperate people we find Andrea and Amy. The barricade gunners panic, the civilians start to get mowed down by machine gun fire, and in this melee the girls get pulled to safety by some old guy they don’t even know. It’s Dale. He’s nobody to them, just some guy who saw the opportunity to do the right thing and reacted in the moment. This would have been perhaps a minute or two of the episode, just a cool detour like the various outposts the soldiers encounter in Saving Private Ryan, but we would have witnessed the moment that Dale meets Andrea and Amy, seen where that relationship began. I also felt it would be a great way to get Emma Bell back into the series for a moment, because she was so wonderful and we were all so sorry that her character died and she had to leave the show. (Of course if this “brush with established characters” idea didn’t work in the script stage, I’d have tossed it out. You try a lot of ideas like that as you go, see how they play. But I thought this one stood a pretty good chance of being engineered to work well.) 

So the story follows these soldiers through hell as the city falls apart and the squad implodes, with Sam’s soldier being the main character and the moral center of the group. He becomes the last survivor of the squad, and he finally gets to the map coordinates they’ve been trying to get to from the start: it’s the barricade at the Atlanta courthouse intersection from the pilot where Rick later finds the tank. The soldier is still alive when he gets there, but he’s been bitten. He’s accomplished his “simple” mission, but he’s gone through seven kinds of hell to do it (including being forced to frag his squad leader), and now he’s dying. And he crawls off into the tank just to get off the street and under cover. As his fever builds and the poor guy starts to hallucinate, he pulls his last grenade and considers ending his life. He sets the grenade down on that shelf for a moment to reflect on all the shit and misery that brought him to this sad end-point of his life, and to dredge up the courage to pull the pin...but before he can act, the fever burns him out and he dies. 

The kicker comes in the last moments of this episode:

After the soldier dies this squalid, lonely death...and after a quiet lapse of time...we do a shot-for-shot reprise from the first episode of the first season: Rick comes scrambling into the tank to escape the horde...blows that zombie soldier’s brains out...now Rick’s trapped...fade out...the end.

The notion was to take the “throwaway” tank zombie Rick encountered in the pilot, and tell that soldier’s story. Make him the star of his own movie, follow his journey, but don’t reveal who he is until the end. The idea being that every zombie has a story, every undead extra was once a human being with a life of his/her own...was, in a sense, the star of his own life’s movie. And we’ve followed this one particular guy and seen how his life ended; we witness his struggles, see his good intentions and his failures, and we experience his godawful death in this tank. That’s why I cast Sam as that tank zombie in the first place instead of just casting some extra. I had this story in mind while filming the pilot, and I knew I’d need a superb actor to play that soldier when the time came.

And then starting with Episode 202, we’d be back with Rick’s group and back in step with the flow of the established story from last season.

I always had in mind to throw in a “wild-card” episode every season, maybe as a season opener or closer. Just a separate story more in the feel of an anthology series, one that appears completely off the track of the regular series but actually does wind up tying in somehow by the fade-out. They did that sort of thing on LOST on occasion, and I really respected it. It always seemed like a bold choice that trusted the audience and rewarded their loyalty with a totally unexpected surprise episode every so often.

That’s it from me. I hope things are well on your end.

Best,

Frank

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well I think most of the staff writers from S1 stayed on while they also brought in new ones, however the big thing which led to the drop in quality during season 2 is most likely the firing of Frank Darabont as showrunner which led to his departure from the show, as well as the loss of a planned episode which would've been amazing should it have come to fruition.

MYSTERY SOLVED. I loved season 1. I did not know they changed writers for season 2, but it is so crappy now it will die quickly. This season will fatally wound it. I don't see a season three.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
MYSTERY SOLVED. I loved season 1. I did not know they changed writers for season 2, but it is so crappy now it will die quickly. This season will fatally wound it. I don't see a season three.

It's ratings are higher than ever. Right now it's the highest rated show ever to air on cable; it's not going anywhere for a good few seasons at the very least.

As for the slower pace, I recently read an interview with the new showrunner who said the slow pace was down to Darabont. The current guy (Glen Mazzara I think) is all for upping the pace. That's why this infamous farm storyline has come to an end as soon as the Darabont era of episodes finished.

I haven't actually gone back to The Walking Dead post season 1 so I hope it's not as bad as you guys are saying.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's ratings are higher than ever. Right now it's the highest rated show ever to air on cable; it's not going anywhere for a good few seasons at the very least.

As for the slower pace, I recently read an interview with the new showrunner who said the slow pace was down to Darabont. The current guy (Glen Mazzara I think) is all for upping the pace. That's why this infamous farm storyline has come to an end as soon as the Darabont era of episodes finished.

I haven't actually gone back to The Walking Dead post season 1 so I hope it's not as bad as you guys are saying.

I dont believe that, Yoshi...please post a link to them. This show is AWFUL. I cant see why it would get a high rating. The ratings are either being fudged, or people are waiting around to see it get back to how it was in season 1. Season 2 is completely boring and forgettable. I cant see this lasting. Good to see you here man!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, the ratings are up this season but I think that is based on the momentum from the first season. It's an interesting genre that has never been explored as a TV series before so naturally there is a lot of excitement. That said, you can't tell me viewers aren't going to be dropping off after this season due to the fact that it's been so poorly written. They've taken this really great premise and have squandered it on soap opera nonsense for an entire season now. It is, in short, terrible. The characters are comical at the best of times and ridiculously melodramatic at the worst.

I think viewers are just hanging on and watching because they keep expecting it to get better. Eventually they will realize that it won't be getting better and that the pace won't be picking up and they will give up watching.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I dont believe that, Yoshi...please post a link to them. This show is AWFUL. I cant see why it would get a high rating. The ratings are either being fudged, or people are waiting around to see it get back to how it was in season 1. Season 2 is completely boring and forgettable. I cant see this lasting. Good to see you here man!

The only thing that can explain the high ratings are this above. I know I've viewed it for a long time with the hope that it would improve before finally giving up. They can only go so long before people figure out they're being strung along and get tired of the game and tune out.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

This is the show's latest ratings (i.e. the last three weeks) were a 3.8 (Adults 18-49 rating) and a 3.6 with the season premiere three weeks back getting a 4.2. The number of viewers on the whole is equally high. A quick look at the ratings tables in the links below show just how colossal those ratings are compared to the average show. The first link has some info on the cable records it broke, which is for the mid-season premiere when all this barn stuff had already happened.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...wn-stars-shameless-house-of-lies-more/119818/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...oe-lamar-shameless-house-of-lies-more/121092/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ar-game-ax-men-oscars-red-carpet-more/122220/

So yeh, it's pretty massive. Again I haven't checked out this season yet so I don't know if I agree or disagree with the popularity of this season; I enjoyed the first quite a bit.

As for not being here for a while, I've been pretty busy. I do try and drop in with a comment or two when I can though.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

I think you put way to much stock in the taste of the average viewer. These are after all the same people who watch garbage like American Idol in droves.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Part of this is a peer effect. Season 1 was super hyped and people turned it into a social thing. Your friends watch it so you watch it (even if it stinks) and so on. That is a powerful force and is part of its strength in ratings. Also it's drawing the soap opera crowd, and AMC does get those people for other shows like Mad Men. But I do think the biggest thing is the "follow the crowd" aspect (which is also the number one reason Apple products get bought for crazy high prices even though other products do everything they do and more while costing much less).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
TWICTAE

This is the show's latest ratings (i.e. the last three weeks) were a 3.8 (Adults 18-49 rating) and a 3.6 with the season premiere three weeks back getting a 4.2. The number of viewers on the whole is equally high. A quick look at the ratings tables in the links below show just how colossal those ratings are compared to the average show. The first link has some info on the cable records it broke, which is for the mid-season premiere when all this barn stuff had already happened.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...wn-stars-shameless-house-of-lies-more/119818/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...oe-lamar-shameless-house-of-lies-more/121092/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ar-game-ax-men-oscars-red-carpet-more/122220/

So yeh, it's pretty massive. Again I haven't checked out this season yet so I don't know if I agree or disagree with the popularity of this season; I enjoyed the first quite a bit.

As for not being here for a while, I've been pretty busy. I do try and drop in with a comment or two when I can though.

TWICTAE = The world is coming to an end. :facepalm: If this show can get those kind of ratings on cable, then the audience is officially tipped into the mundane. Now, there is no incentive to raise the bar to get good entertainment. Just open the box, add in cliched characters and spin the premise and VOIILA, Instant soapscidramafi. I think that they want to make a single type of show that can satisfy all genres. You lose a lot trying to make it generic.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
TWICTAE = The world is coming to an end. :facepalm: If this show can get those kind of ratings on cable, then the audience is officially tipped into the mundane. Now, there is no incentive to raise the bar to get good entertainment. Just open the box, add in cliched characters and spin the premise and VOIILA, Instant soapscidramafi. I think that they want to make a single type of show that can satisfy all genres. You lose a lot trying to make it generic.

I think the success is a result of what most people here have suggested, that being the low intelligence of the average viewer coupled with the success of the first season and the "me-too!" aspect of watching because everyone else is. That said, with writing and characterization this bad it's only a matter of time before it loses viewers. The second season is so bad it really is leaving people with a bad taste in their mouths.

The only way this might change is if they switch it up and really get the story moving again. If they go back to doing it like the comic book (graphic novel) they will probably do okay as there are some good story lines in that one from what I hear. But if they continue to just switch locales yet retain the soap opera melodrama stupidity it won't matter. It will die a deserving death.