THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
AWESOME finale. Wow, what a great way to warm handoff this show to Amazon! They are starting fresh with the best phase of this expanding Expanse universe!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You gotta love Drummer - doesn’t let a little think like a broken back stop her.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So...where to start....

First, they used the double episode format very well here. It let them cover more ground and although the ending presented is definitely more compressed than in the book it hits its mark. This was probably inevitable because the book spends a goodly part of its last section with the thoughts of Clarissa, and in a visual format that is not going to work well.

Second, I liked that there were no villains here. Ashford is doing what he thinks has to be done to save the solar system and is accepting that if it works they will all die in the bargain. Holden and friends are trying to convince that there is another way that can persuade Ring Station that they are not threats and let them go. So everyone is trying to save Earth, Mars and Belt but just have different approaches. It was refreshing.

Everyone got their time to shine here. Holden was great, as were the rest of the Roci crew. So were Drummer, Ashford and Bobbie (yes Bobbie's back). Even Anna got her time to shine and Clarissa got some redemption. Drummer is now officially a Grade A badass with her devising a way to walk even with a broken back and how she was going to deal with Diogo (before Naomi took care of it). And even with that, the scene at the end where she visits the injured Ashford with glasses and liquor was nice.

Where do they go from here? Now Bobbie is on the Roci and again on the outs with the Martian Marine Corps. They also have Clarissa and Anna aboard but I have to think that is temporary until they can send those two on to Earth
Well not Clarissa as us book readers know
. This is perfectly setup to start Cibola Burn.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Seen it. It was awesome. Can't wait for season 4. Agree with @Joelist on all that stuff.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just watched it also . Wow . What an ending . That elevator trick was brilliantly done I must say .
Good to see the gang all back together with a few new crew members ...
;)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Was it just at my end or did this episode jump around a little bit ?
Almost looked like bad edits . A few scenes seemed to pop in out of place ;(

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Like which scenes?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

If you read the book, then I can understand why you said that. But I would characterise it more like Joelist did and call it "condensed". They took out much of the more contemplative stuff which is in the book. This finale was awesome, and they did manage to capture the moment of the other rings showing up. But in the book, it was more epic, more impactful somehow. But they managed to pull it off beautifully.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Well there was the scene where all of a sudden there in the elevator heading to shut down the reactor and Drummer is there , Naomi,and Jim is out of jail some how . Then a bit further on we see that the crazy girl is also out of jail . Further on it's like it went backwards and Naomi is helping Drummer set up her bot legs and then they go to get Jim yet they were all just on the elevator . Why did they do that ? Just found it a bit confusing but enjoyed it just the same . I watched it twice just to see if there was a mix in the upload but both links were the same .

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well there was the scene where all of a sudden there in the elevator heading to shut down the reactor and Drummer is there , Naomi,and Jim is out of jail some how . Then a bit further on we see that the crazy girl is also out of jail . Further on it's like it went backwards and Naomi is helping Drummer set up her bot legs and then they go to get Jim yet they were all just on the elevator . Why did they do that ? Just found it a bit confusing but enjoyed it just the same . I watched it twice just to see if there was a mix in the upload but both links were the same .
It wasn't like that for me. But then I downloaded the one labeled PROPER. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Mine was in proper order also. Naomi helps Drummer then those two go get Holden then they are in the elevator to the reactor control room.