THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I guess one man's computer and internet connection is another man's cable connection.

And yes I was being snarky. I suspect that most of CraveTVs customers view their programs via the internet.

Forgot: Bezos has an incredible slush fund by the sounds of it. The Amazon Prime site must be getting some coin from this season's downloads, so it may not be a brainer to see if they can improve on SyFy's ratings.

I suspect that Alcon might have to do some pencil work to try and squeeze a lot of money out of these guys.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i read where Bezos announced along with the EXPANSE pick up, that he has directed the streamer to begin making more interesting and genre focused shows:

"At Amazon, “The Expanse” continues the streamer’s push into the genre space. Bezos has tasked Amazon Studios with finding the next “Game of Thrones” rather than focus on more grounded dramas like “Transparent” and “Mozart in the Jungle” that have been the hallmark of its early programming slate."

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-expanse-season-4-amazon-1202823280/

IMO, many amazon orig's are quite good now, but they are a bit artsy or niche--like crime dramas such as BOSCH, or weird stuff (to me at least) like MOZART IN THE JUngle. even the stuff i wouldn't watch is made to a better standard then say NETFLIX or HULU originals

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Amos is freaking awesome

"i dont shit where i eat" to the media skank looking for a good story

that was cool

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and

Cara Gee is now officially my favorite Ojibwa after S3 :love_heart:

(actually she is the only one I know of :) )

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And yes I was being snarky. I suspect that most of CraveTVs customers view their programs via the internet.

Forgot: Bezos has an incredible slush fund by the sounds of it. The Amazon Prime site must be getting some coin from this season's downloads, so it may not be a brainer to see if they can improve on SyFy's ratings.

I suspect that Alcon might have to do some pencil work to try and squeeze a lot of money out of these guys.

They already have been making money on The Expanse. I think Season 3 is doing well on there already, and yeah I will pay for a full Season 4.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Amos is freaking awesome

"i dont shit where i eat" to the media skank looking for a good story

that was cool

well this doesn't happen much any more... Wes Chatham was in the Navy for 4 yrs..cool

(side note--why is that so many ppl who were in the USAF or NAVY say "i was in the military" when ppl who were in the army or marines usually say "i was in the army/marines"? )

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Meanwhile the quality episodes keep on coming. Can we discuss freely or are spoilers needed? Suffice it to say it is tracking closely to the book Abaddon's Gate.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
someone always has to be Mr 'buzzkill'

i wonder what this guy's background is?

about the Epstein drive

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lot of speculation in there. But basically he did hit what they said - it is essentially a Fusion Drive with a booster system that radically jumps the efficiency. It uses pellet fuel (indeed Bobbie and Amos were talking about it a couple of episodes ago).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Meanwhile the quality episodes keep on coming. Can we discuss freely or are spoilers needed? Suffice it to say it is tracking closely to the book Abaddon's Gate.

Discuss freely please.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, this week the Roci entered the Gate as Melba's plot unfolded to get Holden. Miller is starting to make a little sense now and we are definitely close to the big reveal
Melba is Clarissa Mao

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Since I have already read all of Abaddon's Gate and part of Cibola Burn, I don't think you can spoil anything for me. :) But I could....(I won't).

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
and

Cara Gee is now officially my favorite Ojibwa after S3 :love_heart:

(actually she is the only one I know of :) )

I did not know she was Ojibwa ! Cool . I have Ojibwa heritage slightly . My dad's grandmother was Ojibwa . I am so far removed tho so not even close to being of Ojibwa heritage .
I also agree . She is bad ass . I think she is up for a battle soon tho with her second in command now on board !
;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did not know she was Ojibwa ! Cool . I have Ojibwa heritage slightly . My dad's grandmother was Ojibwa . I am so far removed tho so not even close to being of Ojibwa heritage .
I also agree . She is bad ass . I think she is up for a battle soon tho with her second in command now on board !
;)

The more of this show I see, the less I respect Star Trek as being supreme scifi (I mean real Trek, not post-Abrams). This show is very VERY believable, very STEM and also high drama/politics. It now has de-throned Star Trek in my psyche. Don't get me wrong, I love Trek, but I like The Expanse universe more.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Expanse series began as a role playing game.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog...id=Skimlinks_5431261_NA&sourceId=AFFSkimlinks

Excerpt:

The game heavily influenced what would one day become the book: a crew of a water hauler is caught in the midst of an interplanetary war when they stumble upon an alien protomolecule on the asteroid Eros. Many distinct elements of the game made their way into the novel: characters, locations, ships, and events (Franck killed off one of his gamers when the player had to leave the game early; his out was a spectacular death). They key components of the larger story began to fall into place through various runs of the game, fleshing out the setting and testing out the logic of the world. Core elements of a narrative began to coalesce. Gamers developed the narrative’s central characters: Holden, Naomi, Amos, Alex and Shed, who navigated the solar system and the delicate balance of power around them, aboard the corvette battleship Rocinante.

“A lot of the characters in Leviathan Wakes are from the game, most notably the crew of the Roci. There were as many as eight crew members at some points in the game… [They] were condensed down for the books, but the core four crew members are recognizable from the game,” wrote Raja Doake, who I met on the set of The Expanse in Toronto. He’s named along with Tom, Sake Mike, Non-Sake Mike, Porter, Scott, Jeff, Mark, Dan and Joe in the novel’s acknowledgements—the original inhabitants of TheExpanse.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I know - I mentioned it a couple of times upthread and noted how the structure of the books/show resembles a RPG and how the characters outside of the Roci crew, Bobbie and Avarsarala feel a bit like RPG NPCs.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nice episode this last week. Melba/Clarissa got background, all of our major players are inside the Ring, Amos dealing with the press team/spies was hilarious and the story moved.

And next week....Bobbie's back!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nice episode this last week. Melba/Clarissa got background, all of our major players are inside the Ring, Amos dealing with the press team/spies was hilarious and the story moved.

And next week....Bobbie's back!

I don't understand the blind guy's role. Why is he able to use those flying camera drones, and why can he control them with hand movements? He is an example of where the book does not give details on that level.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not totally sure but I think he may see through them.