THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well since Spoilers are off...

- It will be interesting to see the immediate fallout. for one thing, how badly was Draper hurt near the end? Also seeing her in her Martian Marine Corps dress blues in the promo indicates she may be off the "deserter" list.

- I loved the giant protomolecule machine lifting off from Venus.

- With Mao and Errinwright in custody I think we are about to see Acting Secretary General Avarsarala.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Expanse is PREMIUM science fiction. Syfy should feel good that they tried to do it, and they pulled it off beautifully. The only way to keep it premium and enjoyable is to continue allowing the authors of the books to have creative control. They will also need to keep up the level of CGI. But MOST of all, they need to stick to the story, and if they give the authors control they can do that.

Netflix cannot afford to produce this show with their model. But Amazon can. :) Honestly, if CBS All Access picked it up 100% as is, I would pay for the service.

Predicted. :)

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse-amazon-talks-pick-up-season-4-canceled-syfy-1202395538/

Excerpt:

There is hope for The Expanse beyond its upcoming third season, which will be the sci-fi drama’s last one on Syfy. I hear Alcon Television Group, which fully finances and produces The Expanse, is in conversations with Amazon about picking up the critically praised series for Season 4. Sources stress the talks are still ongoing. Reps for both companies declined comment.

Amazon, along with Netflix, have been main targets for the fans behind the #SaveTheExpanse campaign. The show’s supporters have launched a massive effort to get a streaming company to pick up The Expanse since Syfy 10 days ago decided not to renew the show for a fourth season, with the last episode slated to air in early July. The campaign has included a petition, which has collected 130,000 signatures to date, and a GoFundMe page, which collected money for a #Save The Expanse banner to be flown over the Amazon headquarters last week.

I predict that Amazon will pick up this show, and they will charge for it. And THIS show is definitely worth buying. If Star Trek Discovery had been awesome, I would have paid for it. If Amazon picks up this show, I will pay for it gladly. CBS All Access had the right idea using an anchor show to try and launch CBS All Access. It worked with TNG and the UPN Network, didn't it? It worked with Stargate SG-1 and Showtime, then SG-1 and The Scifi Channel too. Star Trek Discovery is the wrong show for CBS and it is definitely not an anchor or anything worthy of my time or money. But The Expanse definitely is. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I have driven by it quite a few times over the last year or so . Its almost beside that diseased show std . My daughter has had multiple tours of std but not the expansive . She also had a tour of the Dark Matter set last summer . I sure hope they don't strike it yet !
;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well that was interesting tonight!

They jumped WAY ahead in time. Avarsarala is Secretary General, Naomi is working with OPA, the Ring is formed and the joint flotilla is on its way to it. In a way, the episode felt like a big "what's up with everyone" story. And one of my guesses did pan out - Draper is back to being a Gunny in the Martian Marines (but her role tonight was WAY too little).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well that was interesting tonight!

They jumped WAY ahead in time. Avarsarala is Secretary General, Naomi is working with OPA, the Ring is formed and the joint flotilla is on its way to it. In a way, the episode felt like a big "what's up with everyone" story. And one of my guesses did pan out - Draper is back to being a Gunny in the Martian Marines (but her role tonight was WAY too little).

Wait, what? They skipped several chapters then. :( But if we already have the gate, then the Sol story is about to change in a huge way. And Miller is coming back....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually they are tracking properly to the beginning of Abaddon's Gate. A couple of things have been sped up a bit
Clarissa Mao has started her revenge plan
but overall it is keeping proper pace.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interesting, some sources on video are saying the deal is for multiple seasons not just Season 4.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Back to the show, one thing to note about the last episode.....
Be sure not to be eating or drinking when you see near the end of the episode when the racing ship gets to the Ring :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

OF COURSE. It was a no-brainer for Amazon. It should have started there to begin with! And Amazon will keep the show intact and allow the production company to do the same show we all have been watching. Any true scifi fan can easily see that The Expanse represents a whole new modern paradigm in the scifi TV genre. You could never have kept up the production values on Syfy, whose goal is advertising dollars. In this instance, the show itself is enough to make people pay to see it. And you know what? I will gladly do that. CBS wanted this sort of fandom for Star Trek Discovery, but they changed the product into something meaningless and not worth buying, let alone watching.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
SyFy's problem was they did not negotiate their deal properly. With the show on all the streaming services they should have demanded a cut of the streaming revenue since they were paying the bulk of the costs. More Bonnie Hammer not grasping the basics of business.

Amazon is indeed in a much better position. Now that they are the primary Netflix, Apple, Google and so on will need to go to them for rights. Obviously it will be pay to view but even there Amazon's Season Pass model is vastly superior to CBS All Access silliness. Pay your price (probably 29.99) and you're done for the whole season.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
SyFy's problem was they did not negotiate their deal properly. With the show on all the streaming services they should have demanded a cut of the streaming revenue since they were paying the bulk of the costs. More Bonnie Hammer not grasping the basics of business.

Amazon is indeed in a much better position. Now that they are the primary Netflix, Apple, Google and so on will need to go to them for rights. Obviously it will be pay to view but even there Amazon's Season Pass model is vastly superior to CBS All Access silliness. Pay your price (probably 29.99) and you're done for the whole season.

I will pay for it. :) I think Amazon is going to be pleased with their decision later. This show has captured the STEM crowd like Star Trek did back in the day. It makes Discovery look like children's show.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
This is such a relief . So glad the story will continue . Best Sci-Fi we have had in a very long time .

;)