THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
again

you wont read the star wars books so why should i read the expanse ones?

if they can't tell the story on air than i dont need to know it...right? :)

There is a big difference here.

The Expanse books are what the series is based on, and the series is hewing very closely to them. You don’t NEED the books to explain anything but they can answer questions regarding the future so to speak.

The Star Wars books unfortunately do something different - they explain elements the films should have explained but did not. For example, without the books you have no explanation at all for the First Order, Knight of Ren or a slew of things in TFA.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
again

you wont read the star wars books so why should i read the expanse ones?

if they can't tell the story on air than i dont need to know it...right? :)

EDIT: Joelist beat me to it. But....

The difference is that the Expanse books ARE telling the story in the show and not leaving anything out. In fact, the series tells the story in slightly more detail than the books. Star Wars just throws things into the movies and does not address them. Then either the SW fanbase explains things on their own, writing fan fiction around the mysteries and giving their own explanations. That might be the only fanbase which has to do that, but NuTrek is moving in that direction. There are already NuTrek fans trying to explain away the NuKlingons change in appearance.

This show is telling the same story on the screen as it does in the books. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nice episode tonight. Hard to describe it in too much detail without massive spoilers, but things are being setup nicely for the big finale to Caliban's War!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Based on previews I think in the next two weeks we will hit the climax point of Caliban's War.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Based on previews I think in the next two weeks we will hit the climax point of Caliban's War.

I love this show like no other. :) One thing I have wondered about...why is it that Alex tries to put out this sort of cowboy/western thing with his character? It is very very subtle, like the actor is trying his best to affect a trucker type of personality along with a bit of rural slang, but can't quite pull it off. Alex is a great character without that, so it is no big deal but it is interesting.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
He is a Martian . Everyone knows they all talk like truckers and Bobby is the most beautiful tank on Mars ! And she talks Aussie
;)
Actually no idea how a martian would talk lol ...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He is a Martian . Everyone knows they all talk like truckers and Bobby is the most beautiful tank on Mars ! And she talks Aussie
;)
Actually no idea how a martian would talk lol ...

He listens to country western, he uses slangy terms with a slight drawl, and you can see he is trying to put out this trucker/western vibe. It isn't like the weird accents on the Eros space station. I believe the actor is Canadian-Iranian. The book does not mention his speech.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have rewatched all three of the Season 3 episodes, and the last episode of Season 2. This show sets a whole new paradigm for science fiction on many levels. Besides that, it has absolutely gorgeous visuals and CGI, and it is just enough to tell the story and show us the tech, without needing to always make things explode or chase each other in dogfights. The way they fly the ships, the limitations of the tech at that time, it is just amazingly realistic. Add to that the superb writing, which is being wisely restrained to the story as told in the books, and it's just the whole package.

This last episode is leading up to some huge stuff, if it plays out like it does in the books and I think it will. Can't wait till next episode!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am not pleased that Amazon is not making Season 3 free, but for this show it might be worth it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Another strong episode with again a lot of spoilery type content, so I think I need to let OM watch it first.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Another strong episode with again a lot of spoilery type content, so I think I need to let OM watch it first.

Getting it now. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am not pleased that Amazon is not making Season 3 free, but for this show it might be worth it.

watching this show through directv now. their ROKU app (funny how they are creating competition for their own sat product)

you can also use for on demand as well after airing. you either get the channels/programming or you don't, no extra charges for certain shows/ new seasons like amazon or hulu (with hulu, i d have to have hulu live even to watch it on demand)
------------------------------------
how many eps this season?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
He listens to country western, he uses slangy terms with a slight drawl, and you can see he is trying to put out this trucker/western vibe. It isn't like the weird accents on the Eros space station. I believe the actor is Canadian-Iranian. The book does not mention his speech.

In the books, the people who settled Mars were from Texas and southeast Asia. Musical genres and styles unique to Texas remained popular on Mars. We should expect to hear him sing some Tejano songs soon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In the books, the people who settled Mars were from Texas and southeast Asia. Musical genres and styles unique to Texas remained popular on Mars. We should expect to hear him sing some Tejano songs soon.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I should have put that together! :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Finally caught up with this one. Seen the 4 available eps of season 3. This show is great. I'm glad there'll be another episode soon. Sometimes it pays off to be patient and just not watch shows for a while and then binge whatever there is.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Episode 5 is still following the books pretty closely. Looks like we are almost set for the finale!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Why good story telling never sells. The expanse cancelled.

Syfy has canceled The Expanse, but its producers want to find it a new home

Season three of the acclaimed Sci-Fi drama The Expanse is well underway, but unfortunately, it will be the last season to air on Syfy. The final episode will be the season finale slated for early July, Deadline reports. The Los Angeles-based production company behind the show says it will try to shop the series to other potential broadcasters or streaming platforms around town.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...but-its-producers-want-to-find-it-a-new-home/

Why do people think that netflix can save this series? They know their demise is coming once disney launches its own platform so they won't be a in a hurry to greenlit another season of the expanse.