The demise of Movie Multiplex theaters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Have you heard of the Alamo Drafthouse line of theaters?

Alamo Draft House

Cities: Austin, Houston, and San Antonio, TX; Winchester , VA
Best Food Features: Casual Dining Faves Served with Serious Brews, Plus Themed Multicourse Menus for Special Events
What's On the Menu: Founded in Austin, where they like to keep things weird, the Alamo is a pioneering theater that's known just as much for its movies as its brews and food. Anytime you catch a flick, you can order from an extensive menu of snacks — from chips and queso (it's Texas, after all) to green chile mac and cheese — salads, wraps, and cleverly named pizzas (try the Up in Smoke'd bacon pie or the Wild at Artichoke Hearts or Poultrygeist). Wash it all down with one of the local beer or wine offerings.

http://www.delish.com/food-fun/best-movie-theater-food-alamo-draft-house#slide-4

That sounds like the future of moviegoing to me. :) A "one stop shop" for dates and outings. If theaters can faithfully replicate the feeling of a living room, they might have something....:)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
That sounds like the future of moviegoing to me. :) A "one stop shop" for dates and outings. If theaters can faithfully replicate the feeling of a living room, they might have something....:)

How would you explain that to the older generation?

"What do you mean I gotta pay $30 to sit in someone else's livingroom and watch a movie? What's wrong with my livingroom??"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How would you explain that to the older generation?

"What do you mean I gotta pay $30 to sit in someone else's livingroom and watch a movie? What's wrong with my livingroom??"

Well, we come from a time when people mostly grew up in houses with living rooms. Today's generation grew up mostly in condos and apartments. When I tell teens how we used to have talks around the dinner table, I often get "OMG, everybody was FORCED to eat at the table?" :facepalm:.

B

Backstep

And to top it off, if you turn on your cell phone or talk during the movie, you are kicked out with no refund, period!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
There’s really no reason why new films can’t be streamed directly to your TV or other device these days. There must be a price point where everyone would be happy and illegal downloads wouldn't be worth it. :anonymous:

Bluce Ree

There’s really no reason why new films can’t be streamed directly to your TV or other device these days. There must be a price point where everyone would be happy and illegal downloads wouldn't be worth it. :anonymous:

There is and Netflix has it mastered. The cable providers aren't happy, though. They still want to suck $8 for new releases and $4.99 for stuff you can watch free on HBO and $1.99 for old movies that also run on cable channels.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
There is and Netflix has it mastered. The cable providers aren't happy, though. They still want to suck $8 for new releases and $4.99 for stuff you can watch free on HBO and $1.99 for old movies that also run on cable channels.

I don't think $8 is unreasonable for avoiding the drive to a theatre to watch a new movie with shaveape's filthy friends. I want to be able to stream Prometheus now not next year dammit! :devilish:

Bluce Ree

I don't think $8 is unreasonable for avoiding the drive to a theatre to watch a new movie with shaveape's filthy friends. I want to be able to stream Prometheus now not next year dammit! :devilish:

It's not bad in the grand scheme of things but a Netflix all-you-can-eat model makes money hand over fist.