The demise of Movie Multiplex theaters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
100510_hollywood_video.jpg

Wow, in Southern California we are seeing the closure of several movie theater multiplexes. First, it was the video stores like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video, now it is movie multiplexes. Some of these theaters have added an IMAX theater in place of the closed stages, but others have closed completely. In California, the movie multiplexes are often the largest space in a mall.

blockbuster_closing.jpg

In places where there are lots of tourists, however (like Hollywood), the theaters are doing very well. They are oftentimes the cheapest outing when compared with other attractions like Disneyland or the museums or even some of the restaurants. I think it has to do with the rising costs of seeing a movie, as well as the last two years of lackluster movie offerings and bombs. Hopefully we will see a revival of the independent neighborhood movie houses.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Hey!!

This is a negative thread!! I vote to tear down this thread and make way for a better, friendlier thread filled with lots of
barney7s.gifbarney2s.gif barney3s.gif.

Bluce Ree

I find that smaller multiplexes are just being replaced with super multiplexes. In South Florida, for example, there are AMC theaters with over 20 screens that have pretty much killed the more modest multiplex.

In Montreal, the super multiplexes have activities and restaurants. Some have bowling alleys, mega arcades with huge, interactive games like a fighter jet simulator with full gyro that you need to strap yourself into and a food court rather than your traditional "$35 for a bag of popcorn or $12 for an old hot dog left over from The Dark Knight or a 4 lb bag of skittles for $80". The modern multiplexes, IMO, are evolving into hangouts.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I still think that home theater systems will replace movie theaters in general once first-run movies are available as streaming content. Why would I want to drive somewhere to hang out in public with a bunch of filthy strangers when I can stay home, wear what I want (or not wear), eat and drink what I want including better popcorn than any theater has, and also have the ability to pause the flick when I want to use my CLEAN bathroom?

I predict in 10 years movie theaters as they exist now will have, generally, gone the way of the dinosaur.

Bluce Ree

I still think that home theater systems will replace movie theaters in general once first-run movies are available as streaming content. Why would I want to drive somewhere to hang out in public with a bunch of filthy strangers when I can stay home, wear what I want (or not wear), eat and drink what I want including better popcorn than any theater has, and also have the ability to pause the flick when I want to use my CLEAN bathroom?

I predict in 10 years movie theaters as they exist now will have, generally, gone the way of the dinosaur.

Here's one that just won't go away:

barney-sing-with-me.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here's one that just won't go away:

View attachment 7211

:smiley-laughing021::icon_rotflmao:

LMAO! Barney just makes me laugh...

I agree, the movie house will become a thing of the past, but I do think that the "specialty" formats like 3D and IMAX will remain entities which are seen in special theaters...until that technology comes to the home, and it WILL eventually. :)

Bluce Ree

I agree, the movie house will become a thing of the past, but I do think that the "specialty" formats like 3D and IMAX will remain entities which are seen in special theaters...until that technology comes to the home, and it WILL eventually. :)

Well, the IMAX experience is all about the quality of the image on that giant, oversized screen. How would IMAX work in the home? We already have 3D, which is actually quite good on the Samsung Smart TVs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Nailed it. :) I have absolutely NO desire to wait in a line (if there is one), then be bombarded with advertising posters for other movies, and assaulted by $6.00 popcorn and $4.00 sodas and $3.00 candy that normally would cost 65c in 7-11. Then, the movie "previews" now include car commercials and ads for airline companies? :facepalm:. Then there are the conditions of the theater itself. THANK GOD for dim lights. I swear, the last time I sat in one of those squishy theater seats, it must have had a massive fart forced into the cushion, because when I sat on it that familiar dank smell came wafting up from the cushion. :facepalm:. The last theater movie I was was Avatar.

Home theaters will make all movie theaters obsolete except for those who cannot afford those systems, but then they cant afford the costs of going to the theater either so what sense does that make?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, the IMAX experience is all about the quality of the image on that giant, oversized screen. How would IMAX work in the home? We already have 3D, which is actually quite good on the Samsung Smart TVs.

Funny you should ask:

vzwrp310xl.jpg
The video glasses right now offer 55" virtual viewing, but this technology can EASILY accomodate IMAX. The only thing in the way of it right now is licensing.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Yeah I think certain specialty movie theaters that focus on the socializing aspect will develop/remain for awhile after the basic theaters peter out. The ones where you can get a table and "dine" right at your booth with your friends, and have cocktails and beer along with actual food (as opposed to snacks) will probably be how it's done with basic theater seating not being emphasized.

Bluce Ree

Funny you should ask:

View attachment 7217
The video glasses right now offer 55" virtual viewing, but this technology can EASILY accomodate IMAX. The only thing in the way of it right now is licensing.

Oohhhhhhhhhhh, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!! Yeah, I remember those. I see them in airline magazines every time I fly. I got to try a pair a couple years ago and wasn't that impressed. Lots of potential, though. I imagine that tech must have improved several-fold by now. I'd love to watch TV that way.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah I think certain specialty movie theaters that focus on the socializing aspect will develop/remain for awhile after the basic theaters peter out. The ones where you can get a table and "dine" right at your booth with your friends, and have cocktails and beer along with actual food (as opposed to snacks) will probably be how it's done with basic theater seating not being emphasized.

They have this setup in Century City. It has a "VIP" section for people who have purchased the front row center section seats, and they have beer and wine at the "Guest Bar". The theater ushers wear snappy red and black outfits with black bow ties and crisp white shirts, and there are small tables offered in the VIP section. This sort of model could work very easily, especially if they offer a substantial dinner menu and perhaps offer cocktails. But wait....theaters make money on each show time audience, and serving dinner and drinks is not going to facilitate the nature of "watch the flick, then leave so we can make more money on the next crop" business model of theaters.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oohhhhhhhhhhh, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!! Yeah, I remember those. I see them in airline magazines every time I fly. I got to try a pair a couple years ago and wasn't that impressed. Lots of potential, though. I imagine that tech must have improved several-fold by now. I'd love to watch TV that way.

I was not impressed when I saw this technology at the LA Computer Fair a few years ago. But last month, they set up a viewing station in Fry's and I put on the PNY glasses and they blew me away. I am talking truly amazing. You get perfectly clear video like you were standing in front of a huge screen. But you still see the rectangle of the screen which appears to be about 60"

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Vision-Glasses-3DVIZPRO-GLASSES-EMT/dp/B0046HHWCC

IMAX can easily be done with this technology. You just have to increase the visual area past peripheral vision, and thats it. Its strange when you turn your head, you are still seeing things from the perspective of the best front and center seat in the theater. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
time moves more slowly here....

Since I live in Indy i can guarantee "old-fashioned" movie multiplexes will be around 10 years longer than cali will have them! :haha: as to the pricey food...sheesh we smuggle food in...large ladies purses are wonderful for that- have smuggled in a big mac meal for hubby as well as a filet o fish for me! you guys need to use your imagination.:smug: as to the "can't afford home theaters" there are some of us who just aren't that into the home theater "experience". We have a 32 inch tv...don't see a need to buy a larger one- documentaries look the same no matter the size- we have an adequate sound system but not one of the fancy pricey ones....and yes I would rather see something in the movie multiplex here in town (about 5 mins from my own shiney clean bathroom!) than blow money on a big tv or sound system...the ticket prices are cheaper.:icon_eek:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Since I live in Indy i can guarantee "old-fashioned" movie multiplexes will be around 10 years longer than cali will have them! :haha: as to the pricey food...sheesh we smuggle food in...large ladies purses are wonderful for that- have smuggled in a big mac meal for hubby as well as a filet o fish for me! you guys need to use your imagination.:smug: as to the "can't afford home theaters" there are some of us who just aren't that into the home theater "experience". We have a 32 inch tv...don't see a need to buy a larger one- documentaries look the same no matter the size- we have an adequate sound system but not one of the fancy pricey ones....and yes I would rather see something in the movie multiplex here in town (about 5 mins from my own shiney clean bathroom!) than blow money on a big tv or sound system...the ticket prices are cheaper.:icon_eek:

You wouldnt say that if you lived in a big city! The big lumbering behemoths who waddle into the theaters here are sometimes heavy enough to make the seats come out of alighment. Seriously! You are sitting in a seat that leans slightly to the right or left, or worse...wobbles as you move in the seat. :facepalm:. Do you really want to be sitting next to a person who has ordered soda AND cheesy, gas-producing nachos? Or, somebody who forgot to shower and use deodorant....for a week? :facepalm:. Believe me, if you had a screen twice the size you have now, and a decent sound system, you would think twice before going to the movies. :) Then again, you live in a more idyllic area of the country so it is still probably fun like I remember the 1980s and early 90s moviegoing experience.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Indianapolis is considered a fairly large city you know! :icon_mrgreen: it's just a well taken care of city-- there was a lot of renovations going on in the 3 years pre the super bowl. So our theaters are nice, most of the residents here use soap and deoderant regularly (remember people here know what heat can do to a body...:sinner: so they shower often!),AND unless it's opening night the theaters here aren't usually over crowded! :icon_e_biggrin:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Indianapolis is considered a fairly large city you know! :icon_mrgreen: it's just a well taken care of city-- there was a lot of renovations going on in the 3 years pre the super bowl. So our theaters are nice, most of the residents here use soap and deoderant regularly (remember people here know what heat can do to a body...:sinner: so they shower often!),AND unless it's opening night the theaters here aren't usually over crowded! :icon_e_biggrin:

Indianapolis IS a large city. :) But still you have wiggle room. Our theaters play a game called "fill the theater". In a 6 movie multiplex, you might have the SAME movie playing in more than one theater depending on the demand. But in a heartbeat, they can close one of them and pack the first one. They can even move movies around between showings. The marquee over the inside theater doors are digital, and they can be changed with a push of a button. When you buy your ticket, you might not know until just before the movie which theater you will enter.. :)

Bluce Ree

I was not impressed when I saw this technology at the LA Computer Fair a few years ago. But last month, they set up a viewing station in Fry's and I put on the PNY glasses and they blew me away. I am talking truly amazing. You get perfectly clear video like you were standing in front of a huge screen. But you still see the rectangle of the screen which appears to be about 60"

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Vision-Glasses-3DVIZPRO-GLASSES-EMT/dp/B0046HHWCC

IMAX can easily be done with this technology. You just have to increase the visual area past peripheral vision, and thats it. Its strange when you turn your head, you are still seeing things from the perspective of the best front and center seat in the theater. :)

No wonder the tech is amazing. $700 a pair. :(

B

Backstep

Have you heard of the Alamo Drafthouse line of theaters?

[h=1]Alamo Draft House[/h]Cities: Austin, Houston, and San Antonio, TX; Winchester , VA
Best Food Features: Casual Dining Faves Served with Serious Brews, Plus Themed Multicourse Menus for Special Events
What's On the Menu: Founded in Austin, where they like to keep things weird, the Alamo is a pioneering theater that's known just as much for its movies as its brews and food. Anytime you catch a flick, you can order from an extensive menu of snacks — from chips and queso (it's Texas, after all) to green chile mac and cheese — salads, wraps, and cleverly named pizzas (try the Up in Smoke'd bacon pie or the Wild at Artichoke Hearts or Poultrygeist). Wash it all down with one of the local beer or wine offerings.

http://www.delish.com/food-fun/best-movie-theater-food-alamo-draft-house#slide-4