Spaghetti and meatballs... which are the best recipes?

• Thread starter Stonelesscutter
  • Start date

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Which of these ingredients exactly did you get at the Subway?

The meatball marinara has the meatballs and marinara sauce as well as the olives and whatever else she added to it. Ingenious cheat method! What is with the hand in your avatar?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sounds good mate!
I see that you went for a carbonara sauce instead of meatballs. That's fine too.

To do it as meatballs, just ball the meat into balls and do not break them up. You still need to simmer it together. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

The meatball marinara has the meatballs and marinara sauce as well as the olives and whatever else she added to it. Ingenious cheat method! What is with the hand in your avatar?

You don't recognise the scene from SG1 season 6 episode 17 (Disclosure) either?
Gee, looks like I'm gonna have to make a video for it. I'm on it! :D

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
View attachment 5767View attachment 5766

Boil water. Throw spaghetti in boiling water. Heat Prego sauce in a pot. Drain spaghetti and pour sauce over it.

:D
They actually make sauce that has meatballs in it? I've never seen this at any of the grocery stores I frequent. If I had known it existed, I wouldn't have spent money on spaghetti and meatball TV dinners like the poor college student that I am.

S

Stonelesscutter

They actually make sauce that has meatballs in it? I've never seen this at any of the grocery stores I frequent. If I had known it existed, I wouldn't have spent money on spaghetti and meatball TV dinners like the poor college student that I am.

So you would have skipped the spaghetti then and gone straight for the meatball sauce? :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Cambells does a mince & sauce combo:http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/brands-products/our-products.aspx
I don't actually reccomend it as I think it tastes pretty ordinary, but for easy meals it might be an option.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
the secret recipe.....

I make a "wicked good" (new englandese for perfect! ) spaghetti sauce, but if I told you the recipe i'd have to kill you stoneless! ;)

seriously though I have found the big secret to a really good marinara is FRESH- fresh herbs, fresh mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh onions...oh you get the idea. Like greybrew1 I too use the premade turkey meatballs (low fat and already cooked.) We are huge garlic lovers here and i probably put 3 to 4 cloves in my sauce. I have an herb garden so my marjoram, oregano, basil, and rosemary are fresh cut. i also add chicken or vegetable broth (about 1 cup) just to give it a cooked all day flavor. we like our sauces "chunky" so we have onions, olives, and mushrooms in a sauce usually. I will make up a pan full of sauce then freeze the leftovers...We usually get 3 or 4 meals out of my spaghetti sauce.:)

S

Stonelesscutter

I make a "wicked good" (new englandese for perfect! ) spaghetti sauce, but if I told you the recipe i'd have to kill you stoneless! ;)

Not to worry. I'll pop up again like a #@$#@ cockroach. ;)

seriously though I have found the big secret to a really good marinara is FRESH- fresh herbs, fresh mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh onions...oh you get the idea. Like greybrew1 I too use the premade turkey meatballs (low fat and already cooked.) We are huge garlic lovers here and i probably put 3 to 4 cloves in my sauce. I have an herb garden so my marjoram, oregano, basil, and rosemary are fresh cut. i also add chicken or vegetable broth (about 1 cup) just to give it a cooked all day flavor. we like our sauces "chunky" so we have onions, olives, and mushrooms in a sauce usually. I will make up a pan full of sauce then freeze the leftovers...We usually get 3 or 4 meals out of my spaghetti sauce.:)

The water in my mouth starts running just reading this. Good thing I have a plate of fries right next to me.
Yum yum yum yum yum. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
oh I forgot the cheese... get a nice wedge of parmigiano reggiano (we go through about 1/2 lb or more a month of the "good stuff") and grate it over the top of your plate with everything on it.....we use A LOT of cheese as well. we are not italian either! ;)

oh stoneless that is how I think of you...as WALL-e's cockroach friend! ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

oh I forgot the cheese... get a nice wedge of parmigiano reggiano (we go through about 1/2 lb or more a month of the "good stuff") and grate it over the top of your plate with everything on it.....we use A LOT of cheese as well. we are not italian either! ;)

oh stoneless that is how I think of you...as WALL-e's cockroach friend! ;)

Cheeze rules!

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Yeah, I always make sure I put a good amount of grated cheese on my spaghetti and pasta whenever possible. Even when there's no sauce, it adds a little something to meal.

G

Graybrew1

I agree, I don't really use sauce, I just like the flavors of the tomatoes and seasonings, I don't want the heavy sauce. I still will, sprinkle a bit of very sharp fresh parmesan cheese on it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

You got it Rac80, there is no substitute for fresh ingrediants when you are scratch building anything. Every morning I go shopping for dinner for the night so fresh baked bread, fresh meat from the butcher if needed, fresh Veggies/herbs as needed. Sometimes It costs a little more, but I would rather pay a little extra and know that at the end of the whole cooking process I'll really enjoy what I make. Nothing sucks as bad as spending an hour plus in cook and prep time to have an "ordinary" product at the end. :) I also find the "recipies" generally take second place to what I like, all that really matters when I cook is methodology (so cooking times etc), as to the rest, throw in what YOU like and "recipie" be damned :D

S

Stonelesscutter

You got it Rac80, there is no substitute for fresh ingrediants when you are scratch building anything. Every morning I go shopping for dinner for the night so fresh baked bread, fresh meat from the butcher if needed, fresh Veggies/herbs as needed. Sometimes It costs a little more, but I would rather pay a little extra and know that at the end of the whole cooking process I'll really enjoy what I make. Nothing sucks as bad as spending an hour plus in cook and prep time to have an "ordinary" product at the end. :) I also find the "recipies" generally take second place to what I like, all that really matters when I cook is methodology (so cooking times etc), as to the rest, throw in what YOU like and "recipie" be damned :D

The so called "methodology" you mention is in my experience an integral part of a recipe. Things can turn out quite differently if you don't stick to the prescribed cooking times or quantities. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
and then there are the little "extras" you add unthinkingly...it was my sister who pointed out that I add chicken/veggie broth to my sauce...I did it automatically and never noticed! :P

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The so called "methodology" you mention is in my experience an integral part of a recipe. Things can turn out quite differently if you don't stick to the prescribed cooking times or quantities. ;)

Yes they do, and thats the whole point dude.
Cooking times and temps and such tend to be fairly important (not always, but mostly) but besides the "basic ingredients" everything else should be up to you. sticking to a recipie leads to replication, thinking outside of it leads to innovation, and it's true for pretty much anything in life.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The family sauce passed down by my parents takes a goodly while to build (and it is a build as different ingredients are added at different stages with time between each for simmering so the flavors all blend properly). It is very much an Old World recipe.

S

Stonelesscutter

The family sauce passed down by my parents takes a goodly while to build (and it is a build as different ingredients are added at different stages with time between each for simmering so the flavors all blend properly). It is very much an Old World recipe.

Do share! :D

S

Stonelesscutter

and then there are the little "extras" you add unthinkingly...it was my sister who pointed out that I add chicken/veggie broth to my sauce...I did it automatically and never noticed! :P

What is chicken/veggie broth? Or rather, what is broth?